How do you stay inside of a lucid dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
imaginecinema

How do you stay inside of a lucid dream?

Postby imaginecinema » 18 Apr 2014 22:54

I've had several lucid dreams already, though as I've become more and more active about it recently (hence joining the forum), I've been having them more often. It's very hard for me to stay inside the lucid dream while I'm dreaming and either the dream is really fuzzy or my recall is really fuzzy, because all I remember is dreams being about half as vivid as real life. Last night I had one and I remember looking around and seeing the dreamscape and saying this is a dream and I started floating around, like walking on air and stuff- and then once I got back on the ground I remembered the "clarity now" trick that was on the World of Lucid Dreaming page, so I shouted that, and things became a little clearer for a second, because after a second I lost focus on what I really wanted to do and kind of let the dream do its thing and eventually forgot I was in a dream as things became more and more blurry.

I think that the solution to the problem would be to really engrain in my head where I want to go in my next lucid dream (let's say Paris, for example), rather than just wing it when I realize I'm dreaming, because so far that's gotten me nowhere, pretty much. And so before I go to bed, I'll say "When I lucid dream, I will go to Paris". And then I'll have the reality check be connected to the thing that I want to do. So, like, trying to create a door in the wall, and then when that door materializes, then I'll just imagine that Paris is behind it and then open the door and step through it.

This is what I'm guessing should work, based on what I've read up on the subject so far. Yet if anyone has any different advice, please put it here, I'm just starting out, so I need as much advice as possible.

Summerlander

Re: How do you stay inside of a lucid dream?

Postby Summerlander » 18 Apr 2014 23:17

Deepen the environment using sensory amplification techniques. Rub your hands as soon as you lucidly enter the dream world. Do it for at least ten seconds. whilst you do it, pay attention to the warmth of your hands, the friction, the sound, and what they look like. Vision should be sharp and hyper-realistic (like tuning into a channel). Don't deepen lackadaisically. Do it enthusiastically.

Then, keep on the move. Make sure you have an interesting plan too. Hesitation can cause the lucid dream to collapse. If you have trouble remembering your plan of action, explore the environment and touch any dream objects that you see. Keep your srnses alive. Keep on the move. This should prolong the experience. If it starts to fade, deepen again. If you think you woke up, attempt the separation-from-the-body method in order to return to the lucid dream world. Keep stubbornly trying to remain lucid in dreamland and exhaust all your opportunities to prolong the experience. Re-enter as many times as you can. Then, when you are really satisfied, upon awakening, you may worry about recalling all the juicy details for a good lucid dream report in your journal. You will be enthusiastic and elated about this. You will enjoy reliving the experience from memory (record in the present tense) and you will find that the more obscure details will blissfully come to you, too. You will see a great story blossoming forth.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

imaginecinema

Postby imaginecinema » 19 Apr 2014 03:09

Summerlander wrote: If you think you woke up, attempt the separation-from-the-body method in order to return to the lucid dream world.

That is actually a problem with me. Sometimes I'm in a dream and I think I can feel my body outside of the dream, like I'm in a pool and I'm only a few inches from the surface and I have to struggle as hard as I can to keep from surfacing. That's a great tip, though, I'll try my best to immerse myself as much as I can next time. But even in my normal dreams sight is really the only sense that gets used, and even then things are still kind of fuzzy, and there's not many objects or details in the scenery. It will change with time, though.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Apr 2014 15:30

Don't worry. It gets easier with practice. A lot of lucid dreamers mistakenly believe that, once they feel their sleeping bodies and a bed beneath them, that they have woken up and the experience is over. But most of the time such bedroom experience is phantom and brought about by the fear or expectation of a premature end while they lucid dream. The separation or "re-entry" part is actually esier than what people think. Most of the time one is still in the lucid dream state even when they feel they are lying in bed. All that remains is to get out of bed and away from the perceived physical body stencil. And, voila: you may continue to lucidly perambulate dreamland.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 20 Apr 2014 09:41

The separation from the body method also seems to be a problem for me too :s I've tried it twice-once last night, an LD suddenly ended and I tried to get up out of my bed but I physically couldn't move-if as you say I was still in a dream, then I don't see why I can't move! >:( maybe I have woken up and am experiencing sleep paralysis, not sure tbh!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Apr 2014 10:38

Yeah, sometimes it's hard to move and that is a clear indication that you are still there, with once foot in dreamland, so to speak. That actually happened to me three nights ago!

When that happens, act quickly and without doubt. Move with all your strength, persevere, break the barrier of paralysis. I know it seems like your body weighs a ton but try to get up no matter. Don't even worry about moving physically, just move...

When you are up, you can always work out whether you stand in the real world or the dream world. Look at your hands, rub them, investigate, explore the environment. I find that the lack or absence of vision when I get out of bed is a clear indication that I have not got up physically. All that remains then is to intensify the surroundings and make the lucid dream experience last as much as possible.

- Padmasambhava

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 20 Apr 2014 10:56

Hmmm this is making me wish I hadn't given up after a few seconds of moving like a snail haha! Yeah it really does seem like your body weighs a ton! XD
Next time I'll really make the effort then if it means I'm still in the dream state, thanks :D

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2014 03:12

Summerlander wrote:Deepen the environment using sensory amplification techniques. Rub your hands as soon as you lucidly enter the dream world. Do it for at least ten seconds. whilst you do it, pay attention to the warmth of your hands, the friction, the sound, and what they look like. Vision should be sharp and hyper-realistic (like tuning into a channel). Don't deepen lackadaisically. Do it enthusiastically.

Then, keep on the move. Make sure you have an interesting plan too. Hesitation can cause the lucid dream to collapse. If you have trouble remembering your plan of action, explore the environment and touch any dream objects that you see. Keep your senses alive. Keep on the move. This should prolong the experience. If it starts to fade, deepen again.

Summerlander gave you a lot of good advice, you need work on stabilization.

Having a plan can be quite important, not just to have a goal which interests you to help keep your attention strongly on your dream but also due to not stopping to think about what you wish to do which as he said, can cause dream loss.

Going to Paris. Im not sure if I'd suggest trying to go to another country for a begginer in this as that could be quite a challenge to create a door and go somewhere completely elsewhere throu it which of cause requires a sudden whole dream scene shift and a failure of this could lead to you dropping out the dream. I suggest till you have a little more experience to try things in the dream environment you find yourself in and go to Paris after having a few successful clear LDs. Work on deepening your LDs and interacting with your environment during a dream till your dreams are clearer/stronger.

I suggest to think of a couple of things which you'd like to do in a dream which you could try anywhere, things which would cause you to put focus on your dream. Set yourself an easy challenge (sometimes they dont turn out to be all that easy either so be prepared for things not going to plan). Or you could simply boost your awareness of your dream environment and help stabilize by having a plan to note to yourself (this uses all the senses)
1/ Five things which stand out the most in your environment
2/ 3 things which you can hear
3/ What does this environment smell like?
4/ Taste something in your environment
5/ Feel several things in your environment.

Once you have paid attention to your dream environment and have good senses. Try doing a dream challenge or goal (either something you've thought on the spot or one you've thought of previously. Dont stand around just thinking).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 26 Apr 2014 11:52

Summerlander wrote:
act quickly and without doubt. Move with all your strength, persevere, break the barrier of paralysis. I know it seems like your body weighs a ton but try to get up no matter. Don't even worry about moving physically, just move...

When you are up, you can always work out whether you stand in the real world or the dream world.

Tried the body separation method again after an LD this morning and worked through all the 'hard to moveness' and it worked this time! I double checked by looking at my clock and the numbers were spinning like crazy! Those tips were very useful, thanks! :D

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2014 01:33

I'm glad it helped! B-)

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”