Study and experience sensations in the dream

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Highlander

Study and experience sensations in the dream

Postby Highlander » 23 Apr 2014 12:00

When i become lucid in a dream, sometimes i tend to study the dream when it comes to sensations, feelings, etc. These are some examples of dreams i had:

--Felling the rain--
I'm in a house and outside it's raining. I don't want to go outside because i don't want to get wet, but then i think: "This is a dream. How can i get wet? Let's see..."
Then i step outside, concentrating on having a force field on my body and not get wet. It works. Rain is pouring down on me but i don't feel anything. Then i concentrate on feeling the rain. And i feel it.

--Body temperature--
I'm in a warm house, i step outside and it's cold. I feel the variation of temperature on my body, from warm (when inside the house) to cold (when out of the house). Interesting.

--Taste--
I'm in a kitchen and i see a delicious almond pie. Can i taste something that is not real, it's created in a dream? I pick up the pie, take a bite and i feel the flavour of the pie. Well, not 100% accurate, but it's a nice sensation and a pretty good imitation.

--Touch--
I'm in a movie theater and all the seats are made of wood. I wonder what it feels touching this in the dream? I pass my hands on the wooded chairs and it feels smooth, like polished.

HAGART

Re: Study and experience sensations in the dream

Postby HAGART » 23 Apr 2014 17:27

I was in the rain in a lucid dream last Sunday. I went outside, and had no shirt on for some reason, but noted to myself how real it felt. I could feel the drops on my back, and I felt cold, so I started to jump around and rub my arms to stay warm. Being cold like that made me feel more alert and alive. Then there was some water cascading down, like a thin sheet, off a wall to my side and I put my hand under it. It's amazing how it feels wet and just like putting your hand under a tap in real life. I noticed the splashes and drops bouncing off my palm, but they looked odd. I tried to follow one and it disappeared. The visuals were not quite right, but I suppose it's hard for the subconscious to keep track of every single drop. But it certainly felt real enough.

Another interesting thing to do in a lucid dream is to lick things. We don't do it in reality because objects are dirty and it's generally not a good idea. But in a lucid dream, if you're in your house, get down and lick the carpet! Or lick a wall. If your outside, why not lick a road, or lamp post! It's amazing how it can feel real, yet you wonder how your brain knows how to come up with the sensation if you've never licked it before in real life.

I only did this once, and it wasn't my LD goal or anything. I was trying to awaken my senses one at a time, while in a version of my grandmother's garage. I could see, and hear, and touch. Then I inhaled and smelled saw dust. When it came to taste I wondered what I could do since there is no food. So I licked a sheet of ply wood and got sawdust in my mouth and had to spit it out! It felt real, but have to wonder how it was like that in a dream if I never did it in reality? (Or did I when I was younger and have forgotten?)

Anyway, don't be afraid to lick or put things in your mouth that aren't technically edible. In a dream, it's all edible, and there's no bacteria to worry about.

However things can still be dirty, and I was amazed by how real mud felt in a lucid dream once. I could feel the sandy grains between my fingers.
Last edited by HAGART on 23 Apr 2014 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 23 Apr 2014 17:35

Nice experiences, Hagart.

It's curious how our brains tries to mimick stuff we didn't do in real life. Like you said, you didn't lick roads or carpets, but your brain produced that sensation.
For example, i never had been bitten by a snake in the neck or get shot in the head, but i dreamt of this and my brain tried to produce that sensation.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Apr 2014 17:38

It was actually only the one thing, the plywood that I licked. The others are just suggestions. But I like the idea and will plan to do more of it in some of my lucid dreams. It feels wrong, but there is no shame in dreams, and nobody else is watching.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 24 Apr 2014 00:58

That's an interesting idea HAGART, I'll certainly try it out if I remember to! However I'm unsure as to whether I can convince myself that it won't taste horrible...hopefully expectation won't give me a nasty experience :P
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 24 Apr 2014 01:56

Yea, it's hard to do things in lucid dreams that might ruin it for you. Licking the carpet is not the first thing that comes to mind in my LDs and would probably be unpleasant, but would make a great story to tell.

I was thinking more about it today, and plan to do it more. Touching things can help ground you in the dream and make it more vivid and stable. When you think about it, licking something will also activate touch, since your tongue is like a finger in your mouth. It can sense texture. But not just that, it may activate taste and perhaps even smell, all in one shot!

Instead of rubbing my hands together in a lucid dream, I think licking them may be even better! (I'll be like a cat! :P :lol: )

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Apr 2014 23:40

Great thread with interesting ideas. Im putting more on my list to now try. I love the idea of licking things, I cant even imagine well what it would be like to lick the carpet. haha I bet not pleasant thou. I do like the idea of using licking to stabilise.

Taste. That is one thing in LDs which I find so unpredictable. I can go to taste a common food item and have it taste amazing, beyond what Ive ever imagined or I can taste something which looks like it would taste amazing but then be very let down with it. Last time I tried to have an icecream in a LD I ended up giving it away to a DC as it wasnt very good!! If I'd brought it in my LD I think I would of thrown it at the storekeeper.

Water was something I experimented with when I was new at lucid dreaming. I never will forget my amazement at stepping into a puddle of water to feel what it felt like.. it turned out to feel very cold and wet!

I like the idea of trying an energy shield to ward of being affected by rain in a LD (another thing I'll put down on the list to do).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”