Was this an OBE?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Xtreme_Walrus

Was this an OBE?

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 26 Apr 2014 05:21

So I was going on a lucid dreaming video marathon on YouTube a couple days ago, and I started watching some videos on OBEs and it got me thinking about a previous dream I had.

So this dream starts off with me in my room and it is really hazy. I walk into my hallway and its somewhat dark so I decide to turn a couple of lights on. I go turn on the three light switches in the living room and look back and nothing had happened.

At first I heard that lightswitches not working was something that happened in dreams, however a lot of sources on YouTube are saying that it is a sign of an OBE. Another thing that I noted is that everything looked the exactly the same as in real life (as in, all of the furniture and everything was in the correct spot), which doesn't usually happen in normal dreams.

Once the lights didn't work I went right next to a lightswitch and tried to turn it on again but nothing happened. So I came to the conclusion that I was dreaming and then suddenly my vision went half and half (it was sort of like my vision was cut diagonally like this: dark/still in dream) and then I woke up.

So, what do you guys think?
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

taniaaust1

Re: Was this an OBE?

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Apr 2014 05:36

I personally dont think anyone could really say from that as light switches mess up in LDs too. It could of been, only you can figure that out. If you didnt have any dream stuff at all coming in, there is always a chance it was, thou without other symptoms of it being a OBE eg feeling the actual astral body separate from the physical or other common OBE stuff happening, it's hard to comment on anothers experience and of what it may of been.

If a person is asleep and then has the experience, its even harder to tell.

My OBEs are usually in real time eg if it is dark it will be dark in my OBE and I often find I cant see at first but after a time my sight comes in. My OBEs usually "feel" different to my LDs but I cant really explain how, its very subtle.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 26 Apr 2014 17:26

taniaaust1 wrote:My OBEs are usually in real time eg if it is dark it will be dark in my OBE and I often find I cant see at first but after a time my sight comes in. My OBEs usually "feel" different to my LDs but I cant really explain how, its very subtle.

I still don't know what the difference is between an OBE and a dream that starts where we went to sleep.
Every saturday morning i have a successful WILD (or OBE, now i don't know). I'm in bed, then i feel vibrations and i start to see my bedroom exactly how it is: with lights off and windows closed (sometimes with a couple of different stuff there). Then i slowly start to move my arms, legs and i get out of bed.
Now, is this an OBE or just a dream that started the same way i went to sleep?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Apr 2014 14:52

Highlander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:My OBEs are usually in real time eg if it is dark it will be dark in my OBE and I often find I cant see at first but after a time my sight comes in. My OBEs usually "feel" different to my LDs but I cant really explain how, its very subtle.

I still don't know what the difference is between an OBE and a dream that starts where we went to sleep.
Every saturday morning i have a successful WILD (or OBE, now i don't know). I'm in bed, then i feel vibrations and i start to see my bedroom exactly how it is: with lights off and windows closed (sometimes with a couple of different stuff there). Then i slowly start to move my arms, legs and i get out of bed.
Now, is this an OBE or just a dream that started the same way i went to sleep?

As I said its extremely subtle and so I can understand how some people cant tell. There can also be overlap where both things are happening so it may not be one way or the other either.

For me my OBEs are probably easier to tell as I learnt astral projection way before I got into LD and the method of astral projection I was using is one one does in a meditation kind of state rather then in a sleep state (thou I did have them in sleep state too). I also was able to vertify I was doing OBE by learning about things in our real physical world during experiences and then checking after I got out of the state and finding my experiences were real things I saw.

If you arent sure if yours are dreaming going on or not.. try doing some tests to find out eg dont look at a card and lay it upwards on a cupboard top and when you get out float up and read the card (if you are dreaming it will create a false image/dream image of the card!! and you will find you were incorrect when you wake up and check to see if you got it right.

As it thou is possible to be experiencing some OBE awareness and some dream awareness at the same time, the card test can only tell you if some dreaming is going on but it cant tell you if all that you are experiencing is all dream (as you could have some OBE awareness going on too).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”