Is a dream journal necessary?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
JonTheDreamer

Is a dream journal necessary?

Postby JonTheDreamer » 01 May 2014 22:57

Hello everyone, I was wondering if it is necessary to keep a dream journal to continue having lucid dreams. I kept one for the first 2 months before I had my first lucid dream. Then I stopped. For about 3 weeks I have not done any dream journaling, and I haven't really noticed a difference other than I forget insignificant and non lucid dreams.

I guess my main question is If I stop journaling, will I stop lucid dreaming? I still haven't gotten to the point where I consistently have lucid dreams(I have had about 5 over 3 months since I started trying). I find it to be a hassle and tedious.

torakrubik

Re: Is a dream journal necessary?

Postby torakrubik » 02 May 2014 01:00

I don't record as much as I used to, but I still do. I think it's a good idea to continue, even if you only record your really good dreams. Subconsciously, you are telling your brain that lucid dreaming is important and this can lead to an increase in the frequency of LDs. For me, it keeps my dream recall sharp too; if I go for a stint without recording anything I find myself struggling to remember any more than 2 dreams per night.

So, I would say keep at it. No need to write pages and pages for each dream, just bullet point if you find it a hassle.
Dreaming is my drug

GalMutzafy

Postby GalMutzafy » 02 May 2014 05:44

I recommend to keep writing your dreams, it will make you more concsious in the your dreams, which will eventually make you lucid.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 02 May 2014 10:54

Stopping writing dream journaling won't male LD's stop, but it helps to get more.
I do it mostly to record my most wonderful dreams. Sometimes it's great to go back and read a certain dream that was awesome. And it helps to remember certains aspects that will trigger lucidity in the dream.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 02 May 2014 22:41

I think the great thing about writing dreams down is what it does for your dream recall-it might not stop you LDing but it would suck if you had a load of great lucid dreams but didn't remember them in the morning ;)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Return to “For Beginners”