Am I Doing Something Wrong?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
DerpyDreamer

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Postby DerpyDreamer » 11 May 2014 08:04

Hi. I'm new to lucid dreams and i started yesterday. I'm using WILD technique but my body can't go full paralysis. It just paralyse %50 of my legs and %50 of my arms and stop there every time i try to do WILD and even if i wait more longer. Am i doing something wrong? :|

GalMutzafy

Re: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Postby GalMutzafy » 11 May 2014 15:46

If you are a beginner, I suggest to you to start with an easier technique such as MILD or WBTB.

I suggest more WBTB because I think it's more helpful.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 11 May 2014 18:44

I don't think you have to reach paralysis to do WILD. You just have to have your body totally relaxed at the point of falling asleep but at the same time have your mind awake.

DerpyDreamer

Postby DerpyDreamer » 11 May 2014 18:55

Highlander wrote:I don't think you have to reach paralysis to do WILD. You just have to have your body totally relaxed at the point of falling asleep but at the same time have your mind awake.

But even if i wait without full paralysis i can't fall asleep. I keep counting or concentrating on my breath but nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong again or is it about my relaxation at that time? :?

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 11 May 2014 19:58

DerpyDreamer wrote:But even if i wait without full paralysis i can't fall asleep. I keep counting or concentrating on my breath but nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong again or is it about my relaxation at that time? :?

For how long do you think this lasts (the counting and staying awake)?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 May 2014 01:53

Those who tell another a technique is hard are doing that other a disfavour as ones thoughts can really affect this stuff esp as LD is about working with the subconciousness and if a person thinks a method will be hard its then bound to be. Some actually may find WILD easier, it all depends on the individual. Some may be naturals at it, while others do find it hard.

To the original poster... well you are completely aiming for the wrong thing. One doesnt aim for a paralyses state with WILD, actually I dont think that is aimed for with any LD technique but rather can just be a consequence of all this. A sleep paralyses state is something one may or not experience and not necessary.

But even if i wait without full paralysis i can't fall asleep. I keep counting or concentrating on my breath but nothing happens. Am i doing something wrong again or is it about my relaxation at that time?

If you are half paralysing, obviously you do have a good degree of body relaxation going on. To me it sounds like you are having an issue with the mind relaxation... you need to relax your mind enough to start dreaming. That's the tricky part, letting it relax but at the same time being able to bring focus back in or not forget what you are trying to do. You are focusing so hard you arent relaxing your mind! (hence why you also arent falling asleep).

You didnt say how long you are trying this before giving up? Some of us find it can take around 45mins or so to hit the right state (while others of cause have it happen sooner). You may need to have patience ..

I suggest to try it for up to an hour and if you still havent been able to mentally let go.. tell yourself you will allow yourself to go to sleep (but then tell yourself you will wake up in a dream) and hopefully when you go to do that you will find yourself go into a WILD (which can happen without a break in consciousness).

Practicing meditation can be good for learning to let mentally go and allow thoughts to just start to flow while watching them. (I suggest to start to allow random thoughts to start to flow at times to help allow the dream to start to come in).

You could also try if you find it hard to drift towards sleep, to do this when more tired (that way the mind starts to drift into random stuff more easily even while one is trying to rein the mind back some).

Watching ones breath may be better then counting. (I can count thousands backwards and still not go to sleep.. counting is too stimulating on my mind and doesnt allow it to relax enough). Sometimes thinking certain words on the in or outbreath may be helpful eg you could think something like "I am" on the inbreath, "dreaming" on the outbreath... which would be far more relaxing on the mind then a count but still would hold focus.

Anyway.. your issue is not relaxing your mind enough (and focusing on paralyses).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DerpyDreamer

Postby DerpyDreamer » 12 May 2014 14:16

So what is the best time for me to try WILD?

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 12 May 2014 14:29

The point that i made (and i believe taniaaust1 too) is that if you count or concentrate on something, you have to it how long it takes. Even if it takes 1 hour.

So, for this, i guess, the best time to do it is when you don't have to work or go to school in the morning. So, you'll have plenty of time to practice.
As for the time, after about 6-7 hours of sleep it's the best time to start WILD.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 May 2014 12:30

DerpyDreamer wrote:So what is the best time for me to try WILD?

You can experiment with different times and different days of the week (some may have more luck on weekends).

It needs to thou be a time in which you know you wont be disturbed at all and if you are feeling a little sleepy, that's a great time (like as if feeling like a nap). Trying to WILD right after one wakes up at normal time or in the morning an hour or so before you usually wake up, can be a good time to have a short LD (cause you will be still in a little sleepy relaxed state).

Also just before you got to sleep (as long as you arent too tired) can be a good time.

Some wake themselves up in middle of the night to try.. that can be very good for some too (if you dont just fall straight back into a non LD sleep.

For a LD to happen it needs to be a time in which you can go into a sleep state or a near sleep state...any time you are capable of doing that, could be a good time.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”