Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
RaNoOoSh ^_^

Help Me I Want To Have My First Lucid

Postby RaNoOoSh ^_^ » 14 Mar 2014 14:48

I remember a dream every night and sometimes i remember 3 or 4 i see strange things in my dreams but i don't notice until i wake up i do reality checks but still no lucid help me please

Evarie

Came here to get rid of chronic sleep paralysis, please help

Postby Evarie » 17 Mar 2014 10:34

I have come here in need of help. I have chronic sleep paralysis that has occurred almost every single time I sleep as far back into my childhood as i can remember. Many times multiple episodes in one night. Also, I cannot remember a dream as far back into my childhood as I can think that has not been a lucid dream. Up until I was told otherwise, I had always assumed that lucid dreams were the norm. Research into my real issue of damn sleep paralysis led me here to the world of lucid dreaming. I am 24 years old and have episodes of sleep paralysis almost every single time I go to sleep. As a child, it was multiple times per night, I quickly taught myself how to deal with them, over time everything became routine but none the less still extremely annoying and they are an experience I would really care not to have. This has caused me to develop some serious sleeping issues, and as i have gotten older the really really bad episodes of sleep paralysis, the ones that last the longest and continue on and off throughout the night come in waves, with maybe a few days of good sleep and then a week of paralysis episodes. I learned pretty quickly that using substances like alcohol, weed and sleeping pills will keep this from happening. I have also heard that for those trying to become lucid during dreams attempt to actually induce sleep paralysis on themselves to reach this. That is where I thought that someone here could maybe help me, i cant continue down my current alcoholic path to avoid these experiences, connecting them with something positive like lucid dreaming seems like the most promising idea. The only issue is lucid dreams are my regular dreams so there in lies the issue then. Any suggestions would be really helpful, it seems as I get older, even though the paralysis episodes may spread themselves out, the intensity is just continuing to grow. I will probably avoid sleep tonight because now it is in my mind and probably wont be a very fun night haha. I can't express the level of gratitude I would have for any suggestions or help given. Thank you.

ExcitedToLucid

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby ExcitedToLucid » 17 Mar 2014 23:21

HI im 11 and want to lucid dream BADLY. I dream journal, do reality checks, and have problems sleeping. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Lindsey

Postby Lindsey » 19 Mar 2014 17:32

hi. i'm 15 and have read about lucid dreaming (from now on known as LD). i really want to have an LD. I've read about the WILD technique, but don't think that i am doing it right. i lay on my bed and relax and everything, no moving. but i don't remember falling asleep or anything. i think that i end up completely falling asleep, instead of letting my body fall asleep and my brain stay awake. even if that is what happened, last night, i had a dream in which i realized that i was dreaming. but i don't think i really took control. i think i just let the dream run it's normal course, what it would've done even it i hadn't realized that. i'm not sure how to take control once i realize that i'm dreaming. can you help me be able to take control? and if you have any tips about the WILD technique, they would be greatly appreciated.

also, sorry if this doesn't really make sense. i'm not really sure how to put it.... :/

strawbubblegum

Postby strawbubblegum » 11 Apr 2014 03:28

Hi there!
My question, which I haven't been able to find around the web, is whether or not we are capable of multiple lucid dreams per night? Since after our REM cycle we go back to other stages that are mostly dreamless, can we achieve lucidity again in the next cycle? or is that really rare (I would like to continue wherever I left off! :) )
Another question that ties into that is how common lucid dreaming is, even for really experienced people? Not every night, right? That would be too much fun :D
Thanks in advance!

Sterre Duiker

Re: Came here to get rid of chronic sleep paralysis, please

Postby Sterre Duiker » 19 May 2014 19:06

Evarie wrote:I have come here in need of help. I have chronic sleep paralysis that has occurred almost every single time I sleep as far back into my childhood as i can remember. Many times multiple episodes in one night. Also, I cannot remember a dream as far back into my childhood as I can think that has not been a lucid dream. Up until I was told otherwise, I had always assumed that lucid dreams were the norm. Research into my real issue of damn sleep paralysis led me here to the world of lucid dreaming. I am 24 years old and have episodes of sleep paralysis almost every single time I go to sleep. As a child, it was multiple times per night, I quickly taught myself how to deal with them, over time everything became routine but none the less still extremely annoying and they are an experience I would really care not to have. This has caused me to develop some serious sleeping issues, and as i have gotten older the really really bad episodes of sleep paralysis, the ones that last the longest and continue on and off throughout the night come in waves, with maybe a few days of good sleep and then a week of paralysis episodes. I learned pretty quickly that using substances like alcohol, weed and sleeping pills will keep this from happening. I have also heard that for those trying to become lucid during dreams attempt to actually induce sleep paralysis on themselves to reach this. That is where I thought that someone here could maybe help me, i cant continue down my current alcoholic path to avoid these experiences, connecting them with something positive like lucid dreaming seems like the most promising idea. The only issue is lucid dreams are my regular dreams so there in lies the issue then. Any suggestions would be really helpful, it seems as I get older, even though the paralysis episodes may spread themselves out, the intensity is just continuing to grow. I will probably avoid sleep tonight because now it is in my mind and probably wont be a very fun night haha. I can't express the level of gratitude I would have for any suggestions or help given. Thank you.

Oof, I'm really sorry to hear about that! It's great to know you at least have some remedies against this :/
People using sleep paralysis I think is irrational, because sleep paralysis would only induce fear and it would be hard to somehow use it to LD. I think the best thing you can do right now with the sleep paralysis is to use your constant wake-ups to attempt a WILD or SSILD
(http://cosmiciron.blogspot.co.at/2013/01/senses-initiated-lucid-dream-ssild_16.html)
Then, since its your body anyways, ask your dream self how to minimize your sleep paralysis and any other questions you'd like an answer to :mrgreen: your subconscious may know more than you do ;)
Good luck

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 19 May 2014 19:07

strawbubblegum wrote:Hi there!
My question, which I haven't been able to find around the web, is whether or not we are capable of multiple lucid dreams per night? Since after our REM cycle we go back to other stages that are mostly dreamless, can we achieve lucidity again in the next cycle? or is that really rare (I would like to continue wherever I left off! :) )
Another question that ties into that is how common lucid dreaming is, even for really experienced people? Not every night, right? That would be too much fun :D
Thanks in advance!

Question 1) It is common for people to have multiple dreams per night, and for advanced people even multiple lucid dreams :D

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 19 May 2014 19:09

Lindsey wrote:hi. i'm 15 and have read about lucid dreaming (from now on known as LD). i really want to have an LD. I've read about the WILD technique, but don't think that i am doing it right. i lay on my bed and relax and everything, no moving. but i don't remember falling asleep or anything. i think that i end up completely falling asleep, instead of letting my body fall asleep and my brain stay awake. even if that is what happened, last night, i had a dream in which i realized that i was dreaming. but i don't think i really took control. i think i just let the dream run it's normal course, what it would've done even it i hadn't realized that. i'm not sure how to take control once i realize that i'm dreaming. can you help me be able to take control? and if you have any tips about the WILD technique, they would be greatly appreciated.

also, sorry if this doesn't really make sense. i'm not really sure how to put it.... :/

what you're having is really common for beginners :) don't worry 8-)
Right now I dont exactly have any tips (because all my fellow answerers have dissapeared >:( ) except that I know sleeping pills help! (Insomniac problems)

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 19 May 2014 19:12

tompine73 wrote:Hello Bleekman,

I'm relatively new to Lucid dreaming (I haven't had an intentional one yet), and typically of me I'm procrastinating, reading books, writing dream journal etc rather than getting stuck in.

However I do have what might be a bit of an awkward question:

I'm paralysed, and hence can't stand or walk (or surf). However in all of my dreams (and I'm remembering one or two a night now) I am able-bodied and often playing football or surfing.

Regarding dream signs: Should I be looking for subtle abnormalities in the dreamscape or should I simply remind myself that in my waking life I'm paralysed and hence anything I do able-bodied is blatant evidence that I am in a dream?

Have other people with disabilities asked a similar question?

Thanks if you can help

Wow, lucid dreaming must be a great escape for you :)
Honestly, finding yourself a reality check is not for someone else to do, it's a personality-related choice 8-)
However I would like to say you probably have the most inspiration to LD out of all of us, so use it well!

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 19 May 2014 19:14

moms5sweeties wrote:I wasn't sure if I should even write yet since I have only been trying to LD for almost 2 weeks, but I am getting frustrated & don't want that to block my progress. That's exactly what I'm wondering - is there a way to know if you're making any progress at all? My schedule is perfect for having & recalling many dreams per morning (get up at around 6 & go back to sleep about 8...that's when I remember tons of dreams.) I am doing reality checks as I should, writing in my dream journal & looking for dreamsigns, practicing MILD, & just in general trying not to push too hard for it to happen. Every morning now though, I feel disappointed & frustrated since nothing has happened yet. I have actually had a dream about writing in a dream journal & have also had a dream about a magic trick that I kept trying to do & then finally did (thinking that might be related to trying & trying to LD?). I'm I just expecting too much & being too hard on myself? Since I have been doing the reality checks, I really notice a big difference between my dreams & my waking state. I used to think my dreams were so real (& maybe they still are while I'm dreaming), but since making myself so aware of all the details around me during my waking state, my dreams are no comparison. I don't want to hinder any progress by getting too disappointed/frustrated. Is it right to say you either have LDs or don't? Is there any gray middle ground area here? I really want to know if, even if I'm not having LDs yet, is there a way to know that I'm at least making some progress? Thanks so much!! :)

It takes more than 2 weeks for some people to Lucid Dream, but dont worry! The late bloomers are often the prettiest flowers :D And you're so active already, that after your first LD you'll fly through almost any other obstacle!

Return to “For Beginners”