The Honeymoon Effect and Tinkering with Tehniques

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Shibby30

The Honeymoon Effect and Tinkering with Tehniques

Postby Shibby30 » 23 May 2014 01:41

Has anyone had a technique, or has had a period of initial success with lucid dreaming only to have it sputter out and then giving up? I've cycled this way 4-5 times with trying to integrate lucid dreaming into my practice. I'll begin doing the normal techniques and begin having several accidental LD's and then only have LD's when I have had horrible sleep, then nothing for a while and then forget about it and rationalize that I'm just not much of a dreamer or something.

Although I've been lucid dreaming since childhood, 95% of the time they're short and foggy. But last year I had 7 powerful LD's in one week using SSILD (the most vivid one's I've ever had). But after than week, nothing... So I gave up again.

I'm now on another cycle but this time, I'm not going to stick too closely to any technique and roughly tinker with the techniques out there and figure it out myself. Possibly using some modified version of SSILD.

I've been a long time practitioner of many types of meditation and after over a decade I have found that the prescribed meditation techniques are but a basic framework to learn how to discover meditation in oneself. The people who stick tightly to the methods as taught and don't tinker end up being those stories of people who've meditative for decades with mild to meager results (they basically think they're meditating but remain in their top-down processing state of consciousness).

Does anyone have any comments on tinkering or this honeymoon effect?
theinnerroad.blogspot.com

taniaaust1

Re: The Honeymoon Effect and Tinkering with Tehniques

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 May 2014 13:23

I think you are doing the right thing thou by playing around with it all and trying to find your own technique (this can help prevent boredom too) Have you ever tried combining SSILD with regular energy raising techniques?

Its good if you can find ways in which to do it which arent a chore too or that you like.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 24 May 2014 04:08

I tend to have the same problem, I had a bunch of them first starting out, and then there are times when I can hardly even remember a dream every night, let alone lucid dream. What I think is the problem (at least for me) is stress. Finals are coming up, semester projects are due, and I've been sort of stressing out. I mean not to an extreme where I have anxiety or anything, but at least to the point where I think it affects my dreaming.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

Shibby30

Postby Shibby30 » 24 May 2014 19:33

I also think that there are phases in this, when beginning or getting back into the swing of things. Like any other skill, you cannot get results right away but must build up to it and eventually figure it out beyond prescribed techniques. But you cannot get anywhere unless you use the techniques for a time.

It seems that methods of meditating before going to sleep or using SSILD give me much more vivid dreams that I remember. Otherwise I rarely remember dreams and they're not vivid. (it's funny because I've had many LD's since childhood but otherwise am not much of a dreamer).

I have to keep reminding myself that the goal isn't having LD's now, it's building up to being able to have them in the first place.
theinnerroad.blogspot.com

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 24 May 2014 22:03

I'm going through this kind of trouble as well :/ last month I really felt I was getting somewhere, but this month I've not had any LDs at all :(

Xtreme_Walrus wrote:
What I think is the problem (at least for me) is stress. Finals are coming up, semester projects are due, and I've been sort of stressing out.

This is exactly my problem I think-I have exams coming up soon, that might explain it!
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Huckleberryfin1

Postby Huckleberryfin1 » 25 May 2014 22:28

What is the SSILD technique and what does it consist of?

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 25 May 2014 23:05

I only found out about it through this post but I read an article on it to find out a bit more about it-SSILD stands for sensory induced lucid dream.

Im no expert(i only found out what it was today, so zero first hand experience) From what I read it involves focusing on each sense in a cycle as you go to sleep (using WBTB method).

I'm definitely interested in trying it though because it sounds like it has an impressive success rate!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”