An Explanation For The Sleep Paralysis?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Barbara

An Explanation For The Sleep Paralysis?

Postby Barbara » 28 May 2014 21:32

Hello!

I am trying to achieve a sleep paralysis. I am doing it every night, but I fell asleep or I get scared (am I supposed to be scared?). For an example; I came to the point when I had short hallucinations (I heard some noises and similar) and then I gave up. The thing is that I am not completely sure what do you get by sleep paralysis? Do you enter into a lucid dream, or is that something else? I heard a lot of different versions, so I do not know anymore.

P.S.
Sorry if I have grammar mistakes, English is not my first language!

Barbara
Last edited by Barbara on 29 Jun 2014 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

nesgirl

Re: An Explanation For The Sleep Paralysis?

Postby nesgirl » 28 May 2014 22:08

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 May 2014 00:33

All sleep paralyses means is your body has fallen asleep so you can no longer physically move it... as your mind is still awake, you are aware this has occurred. This is a completely natural state or your body to be paralysed like this as other wise you would be in danger and acting out physcially whatever was being dreamt. The only difference in this case is you are aware of being in this state.

It may or may not lead into a lucid dream as to lucid dream, your mind has to start falling asleep too some, which then allows the subconciousness to start to manifest eg dream.

Not all lucid dreamers experience sleep paralyses, it isnt necessary at all for a LD and it doesnt necessarily mean that that person will have a LD either thou it can happen from there. Sleep paralyses is just something which "some" people who do lucid dreaming may experience as a side effect thing to their goal of lucid dreaming.. and not something to really aim for as it doesnt even mean the mind is necessarily in the right state for a LD. Just means your body is fully relaxed and that is asleep.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 31 May 2014 08:27

Barbara wrote:Hello!

I am trying to achieve a sleep paralysis. I am doing it every night, but I fell asleep or I get scared (I am suppose to be scared?). For an example; I came to the point when I had short hallucinations (I heard some noises and similar) and then I gave up. The thing is that I am not completely sure what do you get by sleep paralysis? Do you enter into a lucid dream, or is that something else? I heard a lot of different versions, so I do not know anymore.
Barbara

Are you trying to enter sleep paralysis to lucid dream or to have an out of body experience (AKA Astral Projection)?

Sleep paralysis has always been controversial as to whether it's a type of dream or an actual entry into REM muscle atonia. SP is not necessary to ever enter to lucid dreams directly from waking consciousness or to OBE.
Normally sleep goes through 4 phases and doing direct WILDs it also follows closely the normal pattern with one exception. The normal stages are: Hypnagogia [the brain is slowing down and transitioning from waking consciousness to dream states (dominated by Theta waves)]; NREM dreams (Non rapid eye movement dreams); deep sleep [which is dreamless, thoughtless and emotionless and dominated by Delta waves or in other words the brain is as close as it gets to being off or is in its state of perfect rest]; REM dreams. REM muscle atonia normally kicks in right before REM dreams. Its abnormal to skip sleep stages even doing WILDs [I'm not counting dream returns as WILDs, which are essentially the same as the Wake Back To Bed method]. I've never entered Delta sleep while doing WILDs, but one can do it.

What you entered was stage one of sleep or Hynagogia. I've entered real REM muscle atonia while wide awake and trying unsuccessfully to WILD. Here's what I experienced. It felt like electrical pulses traveling down my nervous system (they start at the base of the skull) and I could feel them going down every little nerve. They were mildly pleasant, so not scary at all and as I was wide awake there were no dream images or effects at all. I could move my about two inches to either side with out breaking the REM muscle atonia and was not paralyzed in any way, though when I've ended it my body as been a little sluggish to respond (as in a second or two slow).

REM muscle atonia is caused by the release of two chemicals which put ones body in its deepest state of sleep. I'm naturally in the camp of those who think Sleep Paralysis is a type of dream. I did do research on it by reading through the experiences of those experiencing SP at forum dedicated to it and reading the various finding of the University of Waterloo (in Ontario Canada). They proved at least to me that SP was an obvious dream state in which people did not know they were dreaming, somewhat like a False Awakening.

What proved to me it was a dream state were: people experiencing partial SP (REM Muscle atonia going through essentially all of ones body); some of them were able to talk others to only mumble and other not to make sounds at all; a lot of them were experiencing distortions in the environment (an obvious dream sign) and SP was turning into other dream states or OBE for some.

In either case entering SP is something one never has to do to either lucid dream or OBE. The onset of REM muscle atonia when doing a direct Wild from normal awakeness with a lucid dream lasting as long as I sleep is experienced as a brief transitional image (usually a quickly growing tree or waterfall) between NREM dreams and REM dreams.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 31 May 2014 19:28

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 03 Jun 2014 07:53

I am a bit skeptical that SP can cause anything but WILDs. If there were such a thing as that before death (I am not getting into that)

IF you honestly believe it is more than that, here is what I recommend that YOU do.

Step 1: Get a unread section of an open book or a random card and set it out
Step 2: Get an Infrared Camera to photograph evidence around where you set the card/book.
Step 3: Do the technique

If you manage to complete step one in your dreams with success, but not step 2, I am still going to say it is a WILD, because I believe everything happens in the head, even accuracy.

As SP is a natural thing that happens at night when the body tries to sleep and is a way to enter a dream, I honestly it is used for WILDs, and that what you think is that is a form of False Awakening or dream.

Nesgirl you're such an Occidental and have confused SP experiences with OBE and WILDs and no SP does not happen when the body tries to fall asleep! REM Muscle Atonia normally happens right after deep sleep and before REM dreams kick in about 90 minutes after one has been asleep. If you're were really awake when in RMA one would not be experiencing any dream images.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “For Beginners”