Personality problems in dreams

A place to share and analyze your dreams (lucid or otherwise) to better understand your dreams' subconscious symbolism.
BigFog

Personality problems in dreams

Postby BigFog » 16 Apr 2014 01:03

When I was younger, about up until I was 12, I had problems managing my anger and often turned violent over small things. This led to many problems for me but thankfully I seemed to grow out of it and no longer feel any symptoms in waking life.

Now I am 17 however and I have observed over a long period of dreaming, probably over a year, that in almost all my dreams involving me being even slightly disappointed, irritated or angered in any way that I lash out and turn to violence immediately, sometimes of the most brutal kind.

In waking life I fancy myself a passive and compassionate person now. I have not physically harmed anyone nor felt the desire to in a very long time but this recurring issue in my dreams has got me worrying that I still have the potential to and may just begin to have these problems in waking life again.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on this topic? Similar problems?
I would love to hear from anyone that would have anything to say.

torakrubik

Re: Personality problems in dreams

Postby torakrubik » 16 Apr 2014 01:23

You may be just acting out primal urges in your dreams because it's not socially acceptable in waking reality. One of the many things I do in my dreams is release pent up anger and frustration; your dreams can be excellent outlets for violence and aggression and I don't think that that will carry over into waking life particularly.
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Apr 2014 03:12

(Agree with Torakrubik, but will elaborate and put it in my own words....)

When I dream I tend to regress back to a younger self. It's like that part of us never goes away; Only new additions are added that cover it up in waking life, so we feel it's gone. But in a dream, we go right back to our true selves, ignoring all that waking baggage we wear, and are naked again.

There's nothing wrong with being violent in dreams and may even make you feel at peace after you wake up. We can't keep things bottled up our entire lives and dreams are a cathartic outlet for those pent-up emotions.

So perhaps instead of considering your violent dreams to be an obstacle in the way of you being who you want to be.... consider it a tool.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

BigFog

Postby BigFog » 16 Apr 2014 04:08

Thanks a lot guys,

I'm glad to hear this. On previously waking from such violent dreams I have reflected on it as a tool for getting out any frustration I may have had it's just when I tied the violence in my dreams with my history that I started to worry but hearing it from someone else is comforting. I have had quite a few dreams that give me the same feelings and desires that I experienced in childhood so HAGART, you make a very good point.

Uvita Henville

Postby Uvita Henville » 02 Jun 2014 23:10

Yes the dreams you have can bring up emotions from the past as it may be feelings that you may not have dealt with. It sounds like you have been asking yourself the right questions.

I would say for me when I have had a dream that I associate with strong emotion, it usually means something is going on for me in my thinking and feeling in my present life that my unconscious is trying to let me know about.

When you wake up following a dream first thing is to write down what you experienced and the strong emotion associated with this dream. Ask yourself what each of these events and emotions mean to you, don't think about it. Just write the first response that comes into your head. Write these side by side then take some time to read what you have written. This will give you some clarity to why you have had this dream.

Love Uvita.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 03 Jun 2014 23:01

I have the same issue. In reality I'm a peaceful, relaxed, nonviolent person (probably thanks to the disconnection I now feel as a result of lucid dreaming for a long time) but I have dreams of such sociopathic behavior it makes me wonder...

For example, I had a dream just the other day where I found myself standing in a mall. My hair (which is normally long and hanging in my face; I don't like it any other way) is slicked back. I'm wearing all black clothes (I NEVER do that in reality). I'm just standing in the middle of the mall, staring at nothing, people pushing past me on all sides.

Not entirely sure what I'm doing, I go in the public bathroom off to the side. I see myself in the mirror--I look like my usual self (albeit the slicked-back hair and black clothing), except that there is a skull painted on my face like some ritualistic tattoo.

I stare at myself in the mirror for a while ... then I reach under my shirt, pull out a Mini-Uzi, turn around, and shoot the guy who's standing at the urinal.

Blood sprays everywhere and the gore is so intensely realistic and awful that when I wake up the images stay with me throughout the entire day (this is often the case with my dreams).

The other people in the bathroom begin to scream as I shoot them as well. When everyone in the room is dead, I leave the bathroom and start shooting up the rest of the mall.

The dream continues like this until I hear the police sirens outside and I climb to the top of a crane to escape them. The rest of the dream is spent trying to evade the police.

This dream is very strange in that in reality I
1) don't slick back my hair, or even wear it short
2) don't wear a lot of black
3) would not like to have a skull painted on my face
4) hate guns
5) am very peaceful, tranquil and kind to other people

Very weird. It's like my subconscious is a Mr. Hyde.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Uvita Henville

Postby Uvita Henville » 05 Jun 2014 00:28

Hi Deschain,

I would ask you, in the symbols you wrote down, what does number 1-5 mean to you. Go through each of them and ask yourself what each means to you. Write down the response that comes to you. Then once you have that answer. Ask yourself what that answer means to you in terms of a current problem you have right now. For example a lost job, or money problems etc. You get the answer every time. The human unconscious mind is great and always tries to tell us what is going on for us through our dreams. But remember what an oozy gun means to you will be different to what it means to me. This is why it is important to do this dream analysis exercise, so that you find your meaning of this dream and not mine. Don't worry though, I am sure you are not a killer in this reality, lol.

Love Uvita.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Jun 2014 04:23

This dream is very strange in that in reality I
1) don't slick back my hair, or even wear it short
2) don't wear a lot of black
3) would not like to have a skull painted on my face
4) hate guns
5) am very peaceful, tranquil and kind to other people

[/quote]

The symbols probably just all go together for the type of dream you were having. eg You may associate people wearing hair slicked back like that as the kind of hairstyle many bad people have? (hence why it then appeared in your dream eg you may subconciousnessly relate it to "mafia" types .. and if you do a bit of word association..what goes along with that "guns").

Black.. is a normal colour to be coming into a dark/horrible kind of dream one could say and as you were about to do "bad" stuff in your dream.. hence why it probably carried the symbolism of you wearing black, same goes with the skull upon your face. (skull=death .. and then that is exactly what you caused in your dream)

Guns just go along with all the rest of this kind of dark symbolism. So its not at all unusual if you get one of these kind of symbolisms coming in to have many others of the similar kind.

One can often get a good idea of what kind of things probably are going to come next in a dream by watching the symbolism which is coming in. Im not surprised you pulled out a gun and started shooting people due to the symbolism of what you were looking like, just before you did that. Your dream was fairly predictable what was going to happen.

if this was a lucid dream with stuff like this coming in. The way you were looking would of been the time to start to focus on some nice things to ward off what the subconciousness was likely to create next.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 09 Jun 2014 22:32

I agree entirely. I do associate those things with the things you mentioned. Still disconcerting haha.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Return to “Dream Interpretation”