The Fermi Paradox

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
torakrubik

The Fermi Paradox

Postby torakrubik » 27 May 2014 00:51

World of lucid Dreaming shared this article on Facebook a few hours ago. In case any of you didn't see it, and are interested in the possibility of extra-terrestrial life, I have provided the link below. It's an easy read and provides plenty of food for thought.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
Dreaming is my drug

HAGART

Re: The Fermi Paradox

Postby HAGART » 28 May 2014 04:24

I skimmed it over and will 'mentally digest' it when I am up for it.

I have nothing to say right now, but letting you know that I like it, found it interesting, and will share my thoughts later, when I'm in the mood to actually sit down and read it. Most of it is what I think already, so it will be fun.

"I'll be back!" 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 05 Jun 2014 20:57

I'm convinced there is other intelligent life out there in the universe, on perhaps millions or billions of planets. It is too arrogant to think we're the only ones, especially given the vast numbers. The universe is massive beyond our wildest dreams.... perhaps it is even infinite.

If it IS infinite, then you can be sure there are alternate versions of yourself out there. Because you'd have time and space to evolve over and over and over again on infinite planets. That is just the most difficult thought of all. Infinity. Like, wow. :o

As for the whole paradox -- where are all the aliens? Space is really vast so in order to find us, they'd have mastered a way of traveling here, and that puts them in a much more intelligent place than us. We can't possibly understand why they might choose to not make contact.

One theory is, when we see a line of ants, we don't try to stop and talk to them and teach them maths, do we? Perhaps they observe us, perhaps they ignore us. We just might not be that interesting to them.

It's also mathematically probable that we live in an artificial reality (see Nick Bostrom) and if that's the case then we really can't make any assumptions about what lies beyond where we travel. Truman believed there was a big wide world out there til he hit the wall.

If you think about this too much tho you start to sound crazy. 8-)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Jun 2014 05:25

I still didn't read it all as promised, but I did say this was already up my alley.

If the universe is infinite and, so is time, than anything that can possibly happen has already happened.
If that is so, then we have already been alive, living this one, countless times.
If not, then why is there anything at all? Absolute zero is a perfect number and makes the most sense.

That sums up my thoughts on it in as few words as possible.

One thing is for sure, given what we know. There HAS to be other intelligent life out there given the magnitude of the universe and the odds. They may have different names for atoms and have a different periodic scale, but we are all speaking the same universal language and trying to figure this all out through objective cause and effect which never lies.

We should welcome our alien cousins, but they probably look at us as primitive apes who can't even accept ourselves, going to war, and flinging poo, and other weapons we have mustered. A drone is just an advanced form of flinging poo and claiming territory and dominance. 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Caomi

Postby Caomi » 06 Jun 2014 09:20

Well after reading that I feel rather lonely.

I'm a strong believer in aliens and I hope if we ever come into contact with them then they are of the peaceful sort. Or at least peaceful towards us.

One theory I've always considered for why we have never been contacted by aliens is the 'we are in a video game' theory. Maybe in our video game there are no aliens which is why we never meet them.

But that aside it's quite an interesting issue. I can only hope as our technology progresses that we make some major advances in our quest to find alien life, and maybe if we're lucky we might even get to meet aliens before we die.

Well, if any other thoughts on the topic occur to me then I'll be sure to mention them.
~And Then There Were None~

'How are you?'
'I'm awake.' *Performs a reality check*

Karin

Postby Karin » 06 Jun 2014 12:54

In my opinion, one possible reason why we haven't been contacted by extraterrestrials yet is not that they do not exist, but rather it might be because they do not wish to contact us openly at this time (e.g. prime directive). And even when they do give us some signs that they are there, we deny them (look up Phoenix Lights, where thousands of people saw a mile-long ship, including the governor at that time, who ridiculed the whole thing at first and a decade later admitted he saw it and it could not have been anything made by humans). In addition, there is so much crap on the internet about UFOs, and there are so many lunatics magnetically attracted by this topic, that it is very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff...

As my favorite metaphysics teacher Bashar says, there are hundreds of extraterrestrial species currently observing Earth from a safe distance, but 'Who wants to land in the middle of an insane asylum where inmates have guns.'
Last edited by Karin on 10 Jun 2014 13:22, edited 2 times in total.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Jun 2014 23:53

Interesting thread here. I sometimes wonder if we live in The Matrix and we are really alone in the universe because it's nothing but a virtual reality.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 07 Jun 2014 00:29

I think the most probable theory is that whilst there is plenty of life out there, some is primitive to reach out to us and others are far too advanced to even bother with us. There may be a only a very small percentage of life of similar intelligence to us and they happen to be physically too far away, or maybe have not contacted us for any of the reasons given by the article.
Dreaming is my drug

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 07 Jun 2014 01:03

If the universe is indeed real and not some virtual reality or computer program, then what you have described is most likely the case. Some worlds are uninhabited. Others only got as far as sustaining microbial organisms. Then you might get the ones that managed to evolve their life as far as something like flora and primitive fauna. A few may be like Earth, in cosy areas of this vast and violent universe, and managed to produce intelligent humanoids. Even rarer in our observable universe would be civilisations that are far more advanced than us - if we were to observe these we'd get the impression that they are gods with magical powers when the reality is that they simply know better about the nature of reality.

As Rebecca pointed out, if the universe is infinite, if you travel far enough you will eventually encounter an exact replica of Earth, with an exact replica of yourself, having also experience the same life to the minutest detail. Mathematically, this scenario naturally arises because our universe has physical laws and constants which permit a finite number of ways in which matter can be arranged. If space-time is infinite, replication is virtually inevitable. It would be an amazing coincidence to us and some would probably jump to the conclusion that it is no coincidence. In fact, it would be very natural and logical in the grand scheme of things...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Karin

Postby Karin » 07 Jun 2014 23:19

Imagine what it would do to the human psyche, and the shock to the human society at large, if we were openly contacted by a benevolent alien species significantly more advanced than we are...

A book has been written on this, speculating on how the world would evolve day by day after such a disclosure: "A.D. After Disclosure" By Richard Dolan, 2012

I find that stuff most fascinating.

Return to “Off-Topic”