A Lucid Dreaming Experiment

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Such&Such

A Lucid Dreaming Experiment

Postby Such&Such » 05 Jun 2014 01:42

I just thought of this and I thought I should share. Get a deck of cards and pick a single card without looking at it. Then, put it somewhere in your room or someplace else. You could put it on a windowsill or under your pillow, it probably wouldn't matter. The next time you have a lucid dream, try to go to that area and flip over the card to see which one it is. When you wake up, go straight to the card to see if your lucid dream was right...or completely wrong.

Let me know what you think or better yet, any kind of results!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

JonSnowLD

Re: A Lucid Dreaming Experiment

Postby JonSnowLD » 05 Jun 2014 11:03

Hmmmm interesting, that would be cool if it was right! If I try it I'll let you know :D

Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 05 Jun 2014 21:19

I like the thinking. But the odds are still 1 in 52 you'll get it right first time, so not really convincing enough to be meaningful, in my opinion.

Because if 52 of us try this experiment just once, there is an excellent chance that one of us will successfully guess our card.

Imagine if 1,000 of us did the experiment and posted our results, this thread would be chock full of apparently psychic premonitions.

Maths is here to mess with us like that..... :D

Maybe we should make it a bit harder... How about guessing the correct card 7 nights a row. So 52 x 52 x 52 x 52 x 52 x 52 x 52 = 1 in 1,028,071,702,528.

Or does my maths suck? I was never that good at probabilities.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 05 Jun 2014 21:21

Oh also the sleepwalkers among us should make sure they aren't peeking at the card in the night without realizing :D

Karin

Postby Karin » 05 Jun 2014 22:38

Such&Such wrote:I just thought of this and I thought I should share. Get a deck of cards and pick a single card without looking at it. Then, put it somewhere in your room or someplace else. You could put it on a windowsill or under your pillow, it probably wouldn't matter. The next time you have a lucid dream, try to go to that area and flip over the card to see which one it is. When you wake up, go straight to the card to see if your lucid dream was right...or completely wrong.

Let me know what you think or better yet, any kind of results!

That's funny I had a similar idea and posted on this a couple weeks ago (except it didn't involve flipping the card, just placing it face up on top of a piece of furniture, without looking)! I haven't had a chance to experiment, it will likely take me a long time before I reach that level, but another forum member already experimented on this, maybe this person will chime in and post the link to that thread. Funny how many have the same idea!

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 06 Jun 2014 01:15

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Such&Such

Postby Such&Such » 06 Jun 2014 02:12

A better method would probably be to have someone write any word down on a piece of paper and keep it. Or you could ask them to think of a word and remember it. Then in a lucid dream you could ask them what the word is. Any chance of guessing the word would be extremely low which would leave only fate, or whatever you want to call it or not call it.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 06 Jun 2014 02:59

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Jun 2014 11:05

The problem with this experiment is that it depends upon a false premise - namely that the mathematically correct thing will happen. Lets look at a real life example. I rolled three natural yatzees in a row. The odds of rolling a natural yatchee are 1,296 to 1, of three in a row 2,176,782,336 - if I play yatzee for the rest of my life my defiance of the odds will never even odd - clear proof I have telekinetic powers according to the "odd prove it" advocates. I've had just as incredible luck getting two card royal flushes in Texas Hold'em - more proof I have telekinetic powers - LOL! Mathematical odds can prove anything because any chance event has huge variance and someone is always going to be the "Luckbox" who proves that the odds are meaningless. My odds of getting a natural yatzee are exactly 1 per 1,296!
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jun 2014 03:55

Karin wrote:another forum member already experimented on this, maybe this person will chime in and post the link to that thread.

My ears are burning. You could have provided a link. I don't mind. I too thought I was original, but I guess it's a common Lucid Dream experiment we have all thought of.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13776
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”