My dreams have no pattern?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Revolution

My dreams have no pattern?

Postby Revolution » 07 Jun 2014 20:39

After recently experiencing a very disturbing OBE/Lucid Dream I have not been dabbling with Lucid dreaming for a few weeks. However, I feel more confident after leaving myself some time to "recover" and I'm ready to pursue a state of Lucid Dreaming once more.

I have a problem, though. I have found that - personally - I have come closest to having a lucid dream by simply allowing myself to fall asleep and dream, and then become conscious of the fact that I'm dreaming during that dream. Especially since I have been recording my dreams I find that I am on the verge of becoming conscious in dreams, but only realize once I've woken up.

The problem is that there really doesn't seem to be any pattern with my dreams. I've read in a lot of places that there should be some kind of pattern in your dreams, or some regular tell-tale sign that you are dreaming (for instance: form, context, inner-awareness, action) I don't seem to have any dream signs, nor do any of my dreams seem to be similar to one-another. In one dream I could be the batman, and in the next I am witnessing in horror as my teachers host a lingerie party at school. If anything the most regular dream sign I experience is 'context', but when combined with many of dream signs it doesn't stand out.

I could just be rambling about something that I can't be helped with, but is there any way around this. I try to question my reality as regularly as possible but as it is something that requires a little more time than simply pushing my hand against a wall to see if it passes through, I often forget.

Has anyone got any tips that World of Lucid Dreaming doesn't mention. Maybe something less obvious but effective?

nesgirl

Re: My dreams have no pattern?

Postby nesgirl » 08 Jun 2014 01:12

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Jun 2014 02:29

in the next I am witnessing in horror as my teachers host a lingerie party at school.

hahaha.. now that would be quite a dream.

If anything the most regular dream sign I experience is 'context', but when combined with many of dream signs it doesn't stand out.

Can you post a few of your dreams in detail and then someone may be able to come up with some ideas.
It's hard when we cant see your actual dreams.

There would/should be signs there you could use but are probably missing (often very simple things people overlook as possibly using as dream signs). Sure you wont probably have the same sign in every dream but if you can find a sign that appears even maybe in 1 in every 10, that could be a decent sign to try using (cause we all have quite a few different dreams a night. Ive counted out to 9 in one night and that isnt including dream shifts).

Things to ask yourself

- Do I commonly find myself in certain rooms? eg kitchen, toilet etc (in which case teach yourself to reality check whenever you find yourself in that room)

- Do I commonly find myself in houses which arent mine in real life but in my dream are mine? (In that case learn to ask yourself "is this really my house? Is this really the house where I live in in my physical life".. and walk around and inspect the house).

- Do you often find yourself with DCs you know in your dreams but dont really know in real life? (then you could reality check everytime you come across someone you should know and hopefully catch yourself dreaming). and also ask questions to yourself which you should know if you truely do know the person eg where does this person live, who are their family etc? (so if there is some strange gaps in your knowledge for someone you should know).

- Do you find yourself eatting in your dreams (then foods could be your dream sign to reality check too)

- Do you find yourself in a car in your dreams which you dont have in real life? (if so reality check whenever you are in a car and try to pay attention to see if its your real one or not).

Anyway there is so many different dream signs which can be used. If you are still stuck, try sharing a few of your dreams (detailed as possible) for us to give you possible sign ideas.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 08 Jun 2014 09:04

nesgirl wrote:To prevent yourself from waking up during a dream, remain calm and don't get excited or nervous. Nerves will always make the dreamer wake up (I tested this out several times with my own dreams and control). You have to remain calm at all times, no matter what.

That is one thing that I definitely need to master. I knew from the moment that this disturbing dream began that I was not clam, but as I realised that the dream was ending and I could not control it I began to panic even more which inevitably woke me from the dream.

taniaaust1 wrote:
in the next I am witnessing in horror as my teachers host a lingerie party at school.

hahaha.. now that would be quite a dream.

If anything the most regular dream sign I experience is 'context', but when combined with many of dream signs it doesn't stand out.

Can you post a few of your dreams in detail and then someone may be able to come up with some ideas.
It's hard when we cant see your actual dreams.

There would/should be signs there you could use but are probably missing (often very simple things people overlook as possibly using as dream signs). Sure you wont probably have the same sign in every dream but if you can find a sign that appears even maybe in 1 in every 10, that could be a decent sign to try using (cause we all have quite a few different dreams a night. Ive counted out to 9 in one night and that isnt including dream shifts).

It was scary to say the least. :shock:

Yes, I'm sure there is something that I'm missing. It's not so much that I don't have dream signs, it's the fact that I seem to have so many, and such a mixture, that I don't know what to focus on. Sure, I'll post a few of my dreams (possibly later today) and hopefully someone will have some kind of idea what I should look out for. I really need something that should trigger me to reality check, like some of the examples you posted. So hopefully someone can help with with finding a trigger.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 08 Jun 2014 10:48

Man 'I am witnessing in horror as my teachers host a lingerie party at school' that part made me both laugh and shudder at the same time XD

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 08 Jun 2014 16:42

JonSnowLD wrote:Man 'I am witnessing in horror as my teachers host a lingerie party at school' that part made me both laugh and shudder at the same time XD

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

And what bothers me most is that in the dream everthing seemed entirely normal, so I was talking to the teachers and having normal conversations with them. It was only once I woke up that I had a complete mental breakdown... :lol:

On a seperate topic, I thought I would post two of my dreams to see if anyone can help me stop things that I maybe didn't. I have chosen brief dreams on purpose because I'm not completely comfortable with sharing some of my more detailed dreams. (And just to let you know if my writing isn't very good it's because these were written just as I woke up)

Dream 1: Someone began to come in through the front doors, it was my mum. But my mum was also sitting at the coffee table9where I had just been talking to her). I remember crying for some reason and my "mum" at the coffee table didn't know what to say. I stopped crying and asked the "mum" by the door what year she was from and she started to say '19--' but laughed as if she was lying about what she was about to say, and then said '2040'.

Then I woke up.

Dream 2: (Names have been changed) I was playing Grand Theft Auto while my mum and David were there with me. I fly the cargo plane to a drop point but crash into the ocean. I swim to shore and the get in a hummer and drive along a road where two large trucks are swerving from side to side. I attempt to stop them by stopping in front of them but they are too powerful and continue. I try again and finally manage to get in a door on one of the trucks. However I find that the trucks are so big I simply sit in a massive seat/table in the front of the truck while the driver stays in his seat.

While I play the game the game world and the real world seem to overlap. In the real world I am outside in a forest and behind is a log hut. There are wooden benches everywhere and while I sit on them and face forward I play the game, and when I turn around to look at David and my mum I am in the “real” world. For some reason while I am playing the game David keeps moving further away from the "screen" (a screen which I never actually see)

---

As you can see the most obvious dream sign would be context, but how do I go about knowing the right time to question the context of my reality. Sure, I could just do it whenever I remember/get the chance but the problem is I don't rememeber or often get the chance. I need a trigger to question context that will occur in my dreams.

Any help/tips appreciated.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 08 Jun 2014 21:21

Revolution said:
And what bothers me most is that in the dream everything seemed entirely normal

I know exactly what you mean ;)

I don't think you need a particular dream sign per say-when I reality check, I consider all of what you mentioned previously: form, context, inner-awareness, action.

Saying that, I would also class context as my 'main' dream sign-so to take this into consideration, I try to remember to reality check whenever I change location. It's not an exact science, but if I've been at home and know I'm awake, then I go to school, I do a reality check at school because it's a different context. If I go from the common room, to the music department in school, then I do another reality check when I've got to the music department. The problem with this is obviously days where you never leave the house etc. but on top of this I set myself the target of doing 10 reality checks a day.
Seeing as context seems to be your main dreamsign as well, this kind of stuff might help for you too! :)
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 09 Jun 2014 10:43

JonSnowLD wrote:
Revolution said:
And what bothers me most is that in the dream everything seemed entirely normal

Seeing as context seems to be your main dreamsign as well, this kind of stuff might help for you too! :)

I might just try that, thanks! I suppose on those days where I'm at home the whole time I can reality check every time I go into a different room. That counts as a change in location, right? Anyway, I'll try that out for a week or so and see how it goes.

Thanks again. :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Jun 2014 14:25

The change of location idea is a good one.

I notice your mum was in both the dreams you brought up. You could use her as a dream sign to reality check on. Reality check every time you come in contact with your mum. eg if you are at a table with her you could try to push your thumb throu you hand under the table, check your watch or phone to see if its working right, check a wall clock for the time, look away then look back to see if its changed etc). There are lots of reality checks which can be done while around others.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Revolution

Postby Revolution » 09 Jun 2014 19:01

taniaaust1 wrote:I notice your mum was in both the dreams you brought up. You could use her as a dream sign to reality check on.

That's another great one. I hadn't actually noticed that she was in both, and now that I think about it she has been in quite a few of my dreams. I'll make sure to reality check every time I'm with her.

Thanks for that suggestion. :)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”