Shade's WILD Tutorial

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom - Upper East Side, Manhattan, USA

Shade's WILD Tutorial

Postby Shade » 18 May 2011 00:05

Ive been meaning to write a WILD tutorial for some time now as i've had lots of questions from people who find themselves confused by the advanced technique. I have gathered all this info from plethora of WILD tutorials and will attempt to generalize the technique in a way that i hope is beneficial to beginners and advanced Oneironauts.

I've split this guide into four parts:

1. Induction Entry
2. Preparation/Prerequisites
3. WILD Induction
4. Exit Strategies

The Induction Entry and Exit Strategy parts represent the entry points of most traditional WILD techniques and also the possible outcomes of WILD attempts which you probably know yourself.

The Preparation/Prerequisite part contains tasks which everybody should perform before starting with WILD attempt. I will provide more details later on.

The WILD Induction part concentrates on what is common for each and every WILD attempt and shows some of the many variants of WILD. After exploring this part, you will no longer have problems with understanding many WILD techniques (hopefully!)

The Half dream state is an entry point for WILD attempt, just like a state when you are fully awake. Each and every WILD technique must take entry point into consideration. According to state of mind you are currently at, you have to/dont have to perform preparation steps, before performing attempt itself.

If you want to perform WILD, you simply have to prepare yourself for that attempt. Relaxation which is crucial to speed up the process of WILD and to reduce many of itches and scratches and twitches is very important. You may want to start with the 61-point relaxation method developed by Dr. LaBerge or even just breathing meditation perhaps combined with entrainment. Since most WILD attempt are performed after the WBTB technique your body shouldn't need extensive relaxation as your going ot be tired anyway.

When you are relaxed enough, you should start to move your attention from external into internal world. You probably read many tutorials, and each tutorial uses different methods to perform this attention switch. This, or that way. When you move deeper and deeper into yourself, your external senses dont disturb you in process and they are starting to shut down themselves. Many WILD techniques use tricks such as holding the eyes still, not moving at all, or listening to white noise/ Entrainment. Something, what causes external sensory deprivation. Many people use their own imagination to create internal bodies only to get rid of external stimuli. Some people just daydream and let their thoughts do the rest.

Concentrating on your inner self should be the first thing you make. Even if what you do is part of one of the later steps, first thing, that happens is, that you simply stop caring about your external body. Just let the external body go. Let the thoughts go.

All this moves your external attention inwards. Do it however you wish, just remember:

First relax, then sink deeper into yourself

The last part of preparation is setting an anchor. Anchor is something, what reminds you to remain conscious, when everything else collapses into unconsciousness. You can find out more about anchor by researching NLP and lucid dreaming websites. A lot of the tutorials use breathing, counting or mantras as an anchor. Just be aware, there is nothing magical about these aids. They are used only because we tend to fall asleep reasonably easily when falling asleep after relaxing.

Last step of the preparation is installing of the anchor. If you use counting, there is probably nothing to install, but if you use some suggestions, NLP aids or some sophisticated means of anchoring, you should at least reasure yourself, they will work. Once you install the anchor, you should let it do its work. If you think, feel, sense, that the anchor is not installed deeply enough, you should wait in this phase a little bit longer.

How do you know, that an anchor is not installed correctly? Thats simple. You are more concentrated on the anchor then on actual content of WILD method. Placebos work a treat here.

WILD Induction

Now. As you have prepared your body to fall asleep and your mind to remain aware within your sleeping body, you are ready to perform the technique you like. Just take whatever technique you like and perform the steps. Now, when you know, whats common for each technique, there is not much new in every single tutorial. Just the details about how to enter dream world. Pretty important details dont you think?

So which technique should you choose? Which is the best for the kind of personality you are? There are not as many types of WILD. So you dont have to try each technique to find out which technique suits you.

Probably the biggest difference between techniques is, whether you want to be active in process of dream world construction or not. Many people like to create dream scenes from scratch. This requires pretty delicate imagination power, and not everybody has the capacity to do that (at least not at the first time). There are also differences between people in terms of sensory channel they prefer to use. Simple way how to determine, which channel you are best at is taking a piece of text you wrote in the past and count words like see, hear, sense and find out which words do you use the most in your speech. This is pretty effective but in my opinion you wont need this, because you already subconsciously know, which channel you like most.

Your preferred sensory channel is used to determine which sense to use in active dream scene construction the most. If you are an audiophile, start creating your dream world from voices and sounds. If you are good with imagination, visualize stream of pictures. If you are good in sport, you should concentrate on your dream body the most.... I know you are getting what I mean . Don't use something you are not good at at first. The worse you are with sensory channel you would like to use for construction, the more willpower you will need and the less successful you will be. Don't worry if you are good only in one sense. As you construct the scene, another senses will improve in quality as the dream comes closer.

I wrote a lot about people, who want to be active in process of dream world construction. Yes that is interesting, but many people are not as good in visualization. There is a way to have wilds even if you are not good in visualization and that is the passive way. This way has only one rule. Wait, wait wait... And don't fall asleep (in the sense of becoming unconscious). You will get some kind of imagery or if not maybe some feeling or SP. Whatever. The same process as with active WILD happens also in passive WILD, but the scene which is created corresponds the scene of physical world.

Most important is not to fall asleep but to let your body drift off so it becomes almost unnoticeable. When the creative part of the the brain starts to work on its own. It starts to have its own inertia. I named it REM creative inertia for the sake of this WILD guide. This creative inertia is included in each and every guide you will read (even if only implicitly). This special inertia has one property of great use. It simply
.... Solidifies imagery

This creative inertia works like a miracle. You give the brain an idea and it automatically uses associations to construct sensory experience. And it constructs them using memory impressions stored within your brain.

Still. When the brain switches from external into internal world, this ability causes lots of problems. As it activates, there is one transition period when consciousness is very volatile and it is really easily caught by reality of created imagery. And as the ability provides tons of memory impressions, it is more and more intense as the dream nears. Here... you should use installed anchor to hold your consciousness in an attentive state. Also remember not to panic during SP and also enjoy the experience.

Recovery and Exit

In the beginning stages it is easy to become disheartened with WILD and give up. If you think you have failed always perform RCs as i have a numerous false awakenings after a 'failed WILD attempt'.

If you manage to retain consciousness during transition phase, REM inertia will fully solidify imagery and the scene will become solid enough for you to enter it. Still it is not easy not to wake up, or fall asleep within that scene. So first thing you have to do is to stabilize the dream itself and yourself within a dream. This is even more important if you didn't "construct" a dream body using active visualization

After Notes

I hope this will help those who are confused or struggling with this technique. I'll probably add to the tutorial in the future so any suggestions or comments are welcomed. Also if you have any questions please leave a comment or PM me and i'll try and get make to you ASAP.

Re: Shade's WILD Tutorial

Postby Apescio » 19 May 2011 03:12

Hypnos worshiper.

Postby Dreamsphere » 31 May 2011 05:59

Gah, i am so close... I will post of my experienc tomorrow, for now it is late!
I am an Engineering student, and have yet to experience a lucid dream. Currently on break, I am hoping to try and master the technique as it will give me some peace during the busy school year. Any advice or links are appreciated. Feel free to pm me.

Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 01 Jun 2011 00:07

Shade that is a superb tutorial - very insightful! Thank you for sharing ;)

Postby Jonathan » 01 Jun 2011 04:34

Awesome tutorial!! Thanks very much for writing that up, Shade.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”