Reality check troubles

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

Reality check troubles

Postby Blue-Starbie » 11 Jun 2014 10:12

I've been having some issues with reality checks. I've bought a watch with an hourly alarm on it that goes off every ##:00. But sometimes, I'm in public and I don't want to pinch my nose or try to fly when there's lots of people around, it's embarrassing. I watched a video when someone said that you can do reality checks by asking questions to yourself but I don't feel like I'm doing it right. Is there any good questions to ask and how shall I answer them?

Also, I hate doing reality checks as I find the easiest reality check is to look in the mirror and check the quality of the reflection (I check the whole reflection in case the reflection of mirrors in my dreams are all foggy or something) but I hate getting up and then I just forget about my reality checks because I can't be bothered to get up. Are there any good reality checks you can do while sitting down?

Finally, I realise that I play computer games a lot in my dreams (mostly Sonic, Mario or Pokémon) and I was wondering if there's a way to do reality checks while playing games in reality so that I'll do them while playing the games in my dreams. Just so you know, the levels are different to the actual ones but I think the dream levels are the real ones (until I wake up) and sometimes, I become the character of the game. I used to quit the game every hour and walk out of my room, have a small break then continue (but I've stopped doing that now because I lack motivation) so that I will stop playing the games in my dreams (I hate dreaming about computer games, I love them but not the ones I have in my dreams).
We spend a third of our lives sleeping. Some say that we're wasting our time sleeping but I disagree.
Steve Smith- Watch out for the red ball!

Re: Reality check troubles

Postby GalMutzafy » 11 Jun 2014 15:14

I think the reality checks with the mirror is not helpful as looking at your hands or nose plugging.

When you are around people, try just to plug your nose and try to breath, that's it, no one will think something weird about that...

And when you are alone, just look at your hands and fingers for 10-15 seconds and ask yourself if you are dreaming, that's all.

And for the video games, just remember every time you play a game, stop for a few seconds and look at your hands, ask if you are dreaming and plug your nose and try to breath.

This is the most simple and in my opinion the the most helpful reality checks you can do.
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

Re: Reality check troubles

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Jun 2014 16:14

Out in public you can do things like
- try to push a finger throu a hand. You can do this without staring at your hand so not to attract attention
- look down at your hand and count your fingers (people will just think you are looking at your fingernails)
- check out a clock and see if there is any weirdness with it
- check out your mobile phone and see if its weird in anyway
- think of floating upwards to see if you do (no one around you needs to know what you are thinking).

The question you can ask yourself about your reality is "is there anything weird here?" "Could this be a dream?" (and look for things around you which would indicate its a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”