Lucid dreams and DMT

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
nesgirl

Re: Lucid dreams and DMT

Postby nesgirl » 17 Jun 2014 22:23

Deleted
Last edited by nesgirl on 23 Jul 2014 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Karin

Postby Karin » 17 Jun 2014 23:25

Nesgirl,

One thing I know is one of the anesthesia drugs used to knock people out is Ketamine, which has psychedelic effects (dissociation, OBE-like). Maybe the experiences you mentioned happened to people who were given Ketamine in their anesthesia combo.

These days Ketamine is not used as much, precisely for this reason. Or when it's used, it is used in combo with enough other anesthesia drugs (so that the patient does not stay conscious during the 'dissociation' induced by Ketamine).

Very interestingly, Ketamine was recently found very effective to treat depression, in some pilot trials. If I remember well, even one single dose produced lasting effects in patient with resistant depression. Big Pharma actually tried to come up with new compounds similar in action with Ketamine, but without the psychedelic 'side-effects'. I just heard recently that the initial trials of this new compound failed, which is exactly what I was suspecting would happen. My guess (and that's all it is, a 100% non-scientific guess), is that Ketamine relieves depression BECAUSE OF it's psychedelic effect, not in spite of it. Why? Because maybe during this short window of time, patients can take a peek at some subconscious stuff going on, kind of see their mind from a different perspective, and such a glimpse can have a lasting effect on their psyche (I suspect depression is the mind caught in a self-defeating pattern).

Just a bunch of speculation on my part, and the above is from memory, maybe I got some stuff wrong.

Karin

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Apr 2015 13:58

Has anybody here experimented with DMT or any other psychedelic?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

rsmarrygold

Postby rsmarrygold » 13 Oct 2015 07:29

this is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 16 Oct 2015 04:42

Studies by many scientists seem to indicate that the brain produces chemicals which can have many different effects on consciousness, including controlling sleep/wake cycles, triggering ordinary and lucid dreams, plus a wide range of meditation and trance states, similar to effects experienced by people who take hallucinogenic drugs, such as DMT, LSD, salvia divinorum, and others.

The following article is very interesting. -
- "The Toad And The Jaguar - Profound 5-Meo-DMT Experiences" - www.nexian.me
by Ralph Metzner
Also includes reports by Stanislav Grof, both of whom are well know researches in the exploration of expanded states of awareness.

I also recommend -
- Book - "The Unfolding Self" by Ralph Metzner

- YouTube video - "Stanislav Grof - Revision and Re-enchantement of Psychology"
Emphasis is on "holotropic" experiences - leading towards a deep sense of wholeness

Prince Demitri

Postby Prince Demitri » 30 Dec 2015 16:25

Being a long-time oneironaut, and having both read "DMT: The Spirit Molecule" and worked with DMT myself, I would say there's a good connection between DMT and dreams.

In fact, I used DMT to help train and strengthen my ability to stabilize LDs. There's a balance between "letting go" and "maintaining awareness" that has to be learned in order to stabilize lucidity instead of either slipping back to non-lucid dreaming or waking up. DMT helped me train that balance, since I was able to chemically induce the hallucinatory state and practice that balance intentionally.

I haven't used DMT in years now, but when I did, I made what I used and used what I made (never buying or selling it). Since DMT is a Schedule 1 illegal drug in the US (where I live), I thought the best way to avoid legal issues would be to avoid involving others; I was right.

Personally, I think DMT can be an amazing tool for LD research, and personal growth, tho I wouldn't say I'd recommend it for everyone; especially not those with a history or desire for "getting high". It's not that kind of drug.

That said, if you wanted to try using it I would recommend going somewhere where it isn't illegal to do it, such as South America (where I went to work with DMT for a while), and learn how to properly make it for your own use.

You can also use ayahuasca down there. Ayahuasca gets its hallucinogenic properties from the DMT within it, but is made in such a way as to extend its effects for hours. Having tried it, I do NOT recommend ayahuasca for the purposes of LD stabilization training, as it was too intense to allow me to focus on that training.

DMT itself is very intense, but the short duration allows multiple trials for getting the dosage correct for that type of training. I'll say right now that most DMT users seek a "breakthru" dose. That dose is too high for LD stabilization training (tho it can be revealing, and useful for other types of experiments, such as those in the above mentioned book).

Let me know if you have any questions about my experiences. 8-)
Oneironaut experience: ~28 years
Average LDs per month: Usually 16 to 30 (depending on whether or not I want to)

I enjoy helping others and answering questions. 8-)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Jan 2016 02:25

I read Strassman's book too. I couldn't believe the paper work he had to go through to get permission to study DMT!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Dream Science”