Dream Memory vs Waking Memory

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

Dream Memory vs Waking Memory

Postby HAGART » 06 Jul 2014 19:55

Have you ever had a lucid dream and remembered what you did a week ago in another dream and yet can't remember what you did yesterday in real life?

It's like memories are stored in two categories and the librarian of our mind accesses them differently depending on whether we are in a sleeping state or a waking state.

There is of course a bridge between the two, but I feel there are two main 'compartments'.

I've got some more ideas and theories about this, but just want to give a teaser to stimulate a good discussion.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Re: Dream Memory vs Waking Memory

Postby nesgirl » 06 Jul 2014 23:05

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 06 Jul 2014 23:39

Ironically, I can't really remember accurately what memories I have in dreams. I certainly remember things from past dreams that I would never remember in waking reality, but I'm not sure the vice versa is true.
Dreaming is my drug

Karin

Postby Karin » 07 Jul 2014 00:26

In my four lucid dreams so far I was able to remember everything I did and thought in the previous ones. Even in the second lucid dream that occurred a full year after the first, I immediately had in mind what I did in the first one and where it went wrong (it quickly collapsed and I lost lucidity). In that second lucid dream, I also had in mind what I had googled after my first LD, mainly that I had read on-line that I needed to keep generating the dream or it would collapse.

And so there I was in the second lucid dream, remembering all that (that I needed to keep generating the dream), and then realizing that I didn't have a clue HOW TO generate the dream! :D It hadn't occurred to my waking self to google how to generate the dream. LOL!

In my LDs so far it felt as if I had my full brain power, memory and logic available. I haven't checked though whether I could remember what I ate the previous day, or if I paid my bills, or mundane stuff like that, honestly that was the least of my concerns, LOL!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 07 Jul 2014 09:07

In my dreams, even when I think I am fully lucid, I am not myself and don't remember my mundane life. That all comes back when it ends. "Oh yea, I remember who I am now and where I live, and what my age is now..." (It's like I had amnesia in the dream).

I can be in familiar places that don't exist, but just know that I was there before in a previous dream. Where is my bed in reality? (I don't know most of the time). I sometimes have lucid dreams that start form a bed and get up and walk around and enjoy the dream, and when it fades, I think I'm going to wake up in that same bed only to realize that it wasn't ever my bed. Yet it was familiar to me at the time.

And if you ever had a lucid dream goal and became lucid, don't you find it hard to remember it? I've been fully lucid before, knowing I was suppose to do something and just could not remember, and then when it ends and my waking mind kicks in, it all comes back and I say, "D'oh!" (It's so obvious when awake but in a dream it's like I lost my car keys!) Yet doing things in lucid dreams where the idea came from my previous dreams (not my waking ambitions and intentions), are much easier to remember and come naturally.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”