Verbal Dream Recall?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Rotoscope

Verbal Dream Recall?

Postby Rotoscope » 07 Jul 2014 21:08

Hi,

I'm aware that one of the basic steps toward lucid dreaming is dream journalling for dream recall and in time the ability to recognize dream signs, and that got me to thinking about the best way to go about it due to a couple of things about me:

1 - I've always had slow hand writing, and so I tend to forget a lot of details well before I finish a journal entry.

2 - I'm much faster at typing, and so I'd have much better luck journalling on my tablet I think, though the lights/graphics etc have thus far contributed to forgetting the dream.

As a result, here's a possible solution that's working for me the past 2 days for dream recall(though I haven't yet tried it along with journalling). I basically just wake up, and without moving a muscle, verbally(out loud, as a whisper) recall everything about my dream(s) that I can think of, from small details to general themes. As I said I've done this for 2 days now, and I've gone from forgetting almost everything within a minute, to remembering chunks of the dream, along with details for the entire day or longer.

So here's what I was thinking. I wake up, verbally recall the dream, then pick up my tablet and put in a journal entry(I downloaded one of those dream journal apps).

My main reason for posting this is I'm curious what people's success is with remembering dreams with verbal recall like I described or similar. I read one person's post on here recently where she said she always recalled her dreams to her boyfriend with similar results. does this sort of thing work for the rest of you?

Thanks!
Lucid dream goal this month: 1

Lucid dreams this month: 0 (Haven't had one before)

Ask me anything: ask.fm/Rotoscope

Add me on Steam: DeadZoneDevil00

torakrubik

Re: Verbal Dream Recall?

Postby torakrubik » 08 Jul 2014 00:43

I don't verbally recall myself as I can normally remember the dream as I record it. But I know some members on here use sound recorders to record themselves verbally recounting the dream, then writing it up later.
Dreaming is my drug

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 08 Jul 2014 14:22

I don't verbally recall myself as I can normally remember the dream as I record it. But I know some members on here use sound recorders to record themselves verbally recounting the dream, then writing it up later.

Yes I do it with a cheap voice recorder. It works fine for me :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 08 Jul 2014 18:39

Think about this? What is the main reason for recalling dreams in the morning?

It's takes those fragile short-term memories and put's them into your long-term storage banks of memory.

When you repeat it out loud, you not only still have the memory of the dream, but now have a waking memory of remembering the dream. Then later when fully awake, you remember remembering the dream! It crystallizes in your mind, and you can then write it down with ease if you feel it necessary and you want to remember it even years later as a reminder.

If you're going to recall it and speak out loud, you might as well record it too, so it's even greater than your memory. Journals and recorders, computers, tablets, pencil and paper, are all really just tools, memory-aids, with the same purpose.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

tompine73

Postby tompine73 » 17 Jul 2014 01:29

I think I posted this before somewhere else but anyway: I just ring my number (a one button press as it is a favourite) and then just speak into my answerphone. Very simple, not too much fiddling around where you can lose your dream. It does help to speak a sentence and then leave a gap for a as long as it will take you to write the sentence. I use voice-activated dictation (it's incredibly good these days) so I just repeat to my computer what I have just been telling myself!

Rotoscope

Postby Rotoscope » 27 Jul 2014 04:25

Thanks a lot for the helpful advice!

Sorry it took me awhile to respond, I've been away for awhile.

It's taken awhile now to get into the habit of dream journalling, but I'm getting used to it, and recalling my dreams immediately on waking has helped tremendously. As HAGART pointed out, it does seem to transfer a fleeting short-term memory of events into long term memory, and the process of remembering the recall is self-reinforcing.

Thanks again!
Lucid dream goal this month: 1

Lucid dreams this month: 0 (Haven't had one before)

Ask me anything: ask.fm/Rotoscope

Add me on Steam: DeadZoneDevil00

Return to “For Beginners”