Are you open minded?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
nesgirl

Re: Are you open minded?

Postby nesgirl » 11 Jul 2014 23:16

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:26, edited 3 times in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jul 2014 03:20

I was thinking about this a lot and how to word it best. I think I found it:

"If one were completely open minded, they would be completely gullible.
If one were completely closed minded, they would be completely ignorant." - Michael Scannell

I used my real name because I'm proud of that quote. (Copyright!) As for the meaning... think about it and explain why it's wrong if you can. I'm open-minded enough to listen, and change it, or scrap it. ;)

(Give you a hint.... it's all about balance!)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Karin

Postby Karin » 12 Jul 2014 12:50

Excellent quote!! :)

Maybe in the center between these two would be healthy skepticism (I remember you writing about 'healthy skepticism a few weeks ago)? :)

This reminds me of this video of my dear Bashar talking about the difference between gullible, skeptic and cynical...

Bashar "Debunking the Debunkers" - June 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukq_chP7u0M

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Jul 2014 18:06

Deleted
Last edited by nesgirl on 23 Jul 2014 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 12 Jul 2014 21:12

Yea, a third line would tie the quote together, yet perhaps it should remain hidden so the reader finds it for themselves... :ugeek:

I see it as a line continuum and on one side is gullible: so open-minded you'll believe anything and never have a thought of your own. Then I tried to look up the opposite of gullible, and it was actually in the middle of that line, and the opposite means "astute,discerning,knowledgeable,perceptive,suspicious, unbelieving, untrusting,wise". So then what would complete closed-minded be, when you are living in your own head and never accept any new ideas at all? I chose the word, ignorant, and was thinking... "someone who ignores", which isn't the proper meaning. Maybe I should have used the word, 'cynical'. (I am open minded enough to change it, and it's a work in progress).

These are all just words to describe the mathematical concept I envisage.

We are all in the middle, and nobody is 100% open or closed minded, and we compare ourselves to others on that line continuum. Some just happen to be more or less, one way or the other, left or right. And we can even move along that line day by day, and never be in the exact center at all times.

But at either ends of the spectrum would be people who equally make terrible decisions.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Jul 2014 05:14

If open minded also allows for me to disagree and think the opposite then I might be a little bit open minded sometimes, briefly :lol:
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 14 Jul 2014 11:00

I have phases in life where I am open minded. There are also times where I grow up and learn what is important in life and sorta clamp down in those things though.

This one quote by Aristotle has a found a place in me and sums up how I try to be; "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"

That right there opened me up to the true potential of our mind, our ability to think abstractly, to build and model things in our mind to help us explain reality with unlimited space and form and resource, the mind truly is a fascinating thing and its potential has barely been touched on.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Return to “Off-Topic”