Drugs

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
SGMGI

Drugs

Postby SGMGI » 12 Jul 2014 20:03

What experiences have you had with drugs? I'm particularly interested in psychedelic drugs such as psilocybin and LSD, but i would be interested to hear about any mind altering substance that lets you see past the conventional plains of reality.

How do you find that these drugs affect your Lucid dreaming abilities, in both the long term and short term?

P.s. Dont do drugs :lol:
Alice came to a fork in the road. 'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' responded the Cheshire Cat.
'I don't know,' Alice answered.
'Then,' said the Cat, 'it doesn't matter.

Rotoscope

Re: Drugs

Postby Rotoscope » 12 Jul 2014 21:33

I've never done any kind of drugs, personally, and never would apart from pot and/or some psychodelics. I've always wanted to try LSD, given some of the incredible and what people describe as insightful experiences people have had on the stuff.

I'm not willing to risk going to jail over any of it(one guy recent got over 10 years I think it was for LSD possession. Crazy), but if I'm ever in a place where anything I listed is legal, I'll certainly be considering it. If it's LSD, I'd want to make sure I'm in a good enough mental state beforehand to avoid a 'bad trip', but other than that, sign me up :D
Lucid dream goal this month: 1

Lucid dreams this month: 0 (Haven't had one before)

Ask me anything: ask.fm/Rotoscope

Add me on Steam: DeadZoneDevil00

Karin

Postby Karin » 12 Jul 2014 22:20

I have never done any psychedelics but I do find them fascinating. Personally I am not interested in trying because I don't think I am stable enough mentally for that. But if I were, I would do something like going to the south-American jungle for an Ayahuasca ceremony under the guidance of someone well-experienced. Going there also solves the legal problem.

I would be interested to hear of someone experienced in both psychedelics AND lucid dreaming. I have read a lot about psychedelics, listened to people sharing experiences, and I am convinced that both experiences are similar (though I could be wrong, that's why I'd like to hear someone having done both).

I heard some go in fields were cows are grazing early in the morning to gather psilocybin mushrooms, enough to fill a paper bag. Then they boil them in a big pot of water for several hours, and then they drink the liquid. I said that this sounded horribly dangerous (what if they get a poisonous mushroom), but they said the biggest danger was being shot at by the farmer. The main issue is having no clue how much psilocybin one is getting in this 'drink'...

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 12 Jul 2014 22:31

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 12 Jul 2014 23:02

I have a very limited experience with both Cannabis and Salvia divinorum(which is legal where I live) -but a long time ago now. For me they were different to lucid dreaming mainly because in an LD you are in control.

With salvia I felt completely out of control, even though I wasn't having a full psychedelic experience. The only way I can describe it is like I would zone out and then whenever I 'checked in' reality would start over from this point. It was very disorientating ;)

Visually there was a slight distorting of my visuals-the wood I was in appeared longer. Also I felt like my entire body had become a pivot around my right hand side, I felt i could only move around this pivot.

For me lucid dreaming is a safer way to explore this kind of thing-you are in control of the experience.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

SGMGI

Postby SGMGI » 12 Jul 2014 23:06

nesgirl, how do your insomnia pills affect things like your dream recall? I'm wary about any sort of sleeping pill as i feel as though its a chemically induced and much, much less rewarding sleep, but i suppose I'm lucky enough to be able to get to sleep at night, so im not in a position to judge! :lol:

Karin, i would have to agree and disagree when you say they are similar. They do have major similarities such as time distortions and some of my less vivid (non-lucid), blurry dreams do remind me of a trip, but the general feel is much different. However, i would say that cannabis and lucid dreaming are similar; they both have a scarily similar feel, of a sort of, mellow, bubbly world :D And yes, any sort of field where cattle have been grazing the mystical liberty cap will grow, around autumn time! (In Britian at leased).

As a general rule, i find that any sort of regular drug use negatively affects lucid dreaming. I know from personal experience that Cannabis absolutely DESTROYS dream recall, and therefore any hopes of lucid dreaming! When your on cannabis you are alert and mindful, but when not on it your concentration decreases and your general mindfulness is pretty much non existent. To any one who is wanting to lucid dream, i would recommend staying away from it, especially long term use :roll: But im curious as to anyone who has experience with other drugs. Im not an experienced tripper, and have only taken mushrooms twice, reaching a level 3 trip, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has had experience with psychedelics and there effect on lucid dreams.
Alice came to a fork in the road. 'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' responded the Cheshire Cat.
'I don't know,' Alice answered.
'Then,' said the Cat, 'it doesn't matter.

Karin

Postby Karin » 13 Jul 2014 00:25

Thanks for your input, SGMGI, super interesting! :)

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 13 Jul 2014 01:29

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 13 Jul 2014 01:59

I haven't done any drugs, but I wanted to provide a little input on this topic.

One interesting thing is that when you get FLAT-OUT drunk (like up to the point just before you black out), it feels exactly like a lucid dream. If you've ever been drunk, that's what a lucid dream feels like. And if you've lucid dreamed before but never been drunk, that's what it feels like, minus all the superpowers and free-roam world, plus a hangover.
High blood/alcohol content makes the world seem like a lucid dream and everyone else seem like dream characters. I've only been drunk once but the entire time I reality checked almost every minute just to be sure it wasn't a dream.

However, getting drunk makes you unable to think and makes you very foggy-headed (much like while in a lucid dream), and thus detracts from your actual lucid dreaming production. In fact, when you're drunk you have a restless, shallow sleeping in which you remember no dreams, even if your natural dream recall is exemplary.
Well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Jul 2014 09:52

I've done both: Lucid dream and LSD. I thought to myself, why not recall my LSD experience. I never have written it down before, and it happened many years ago, back in 1998. I don't recommend it, but let me tell you my story, since we are all open-minded adults about this.

I'm just going to recall it like any other dream I had and let the words flow as it comes back to me.... It's long, because I tried to remember everything.

It started to kick in as I was in a small room at the Aberdeen Marina Club, in Hong Kong. (That's where I use to live and we could rent a room to chill, smoke cigarettes in, and watch movies). I was watching Mr. Bean, the episode where he jumps off the diving board and loses his bathing suit, but I wasn't laughing. I needed to lie down. My friend, who hadn't taken his dose yet, thought I was sick and feverish. (In a way, I was). I laid down on the red carpet and watched the designs swirl and dance and it mesmerized me. Then I felt like my head was melting into the carpet and I didn't know where my body ended and the carpet began. I questioned thought itself. I heard a noise outside the room, and it was a staff member of the club walking past the door and I saw him through the window and I realized at that point I needed to control my thoughts because they are projected and all can hear them. Everyone was capable of receiving my emotions. I felt like an alien in a strange world for the first time. (Paranoia setting in).

Then I left, and met other friends and they all took their dose too at that time. It wasn't long before they were just like me. (I had taken mine early thinking I could handle it and it would be fun.... nope!). So the next memory I have is us all sitting in a gazebo, and my friend Casey was sitting across from me and I saw him tapping his hand on the side rail, and I said, "I saw this! This is a vision I had earlier!" I explained that it was DejaView. (To this day that was the strongest one I ever had, but I now think false memories are so prominent especially with my Lucid Dream experience and False Awakenings, so now I think it was just a 'mental glitch'). But at the time it was a big deal to me. He didn't seem to care much, and nobody did. We were all lost in our own worlds.

My next memory is that we were playing on a nearby swing. We felt like children again! Then an orange that someone had half-eaten got tossed on the ground and I had the urge to rip it up for some reason. I tried to fight my urge, knowing how ridiculous it would look like, but I felt like all thought had to be put into action or else it doesn't exist. So I got off and tore it up, ripping the peel and the flesh of it. I felt like a mad man who couldn't control himself. All thought must become action at all time just to create the existence of thought or else it's just up in the air. (Hard to ignore a thought isn't it, even if it's ridiculous. Try NOT to think of something and you think about it even more!)

I joked that I felt like a Cone Head, and as I walked around I truly felt like my head was extending from the top. I felt like all thought was occurring above my head, outside my body, and I reached up to try and swat at it like it was a swarm of flies, or somehow grab it in my hand and then open it before my eyes so I could see my thoughts. I realized, my body was a machine being remote controlled from above. (That's how I felt at the time. Goes to show the delusional thinking that can go on and yet, was I wrong? ;) )

Then we went to a party, in the woods. (Yes, Hong Kong, has some woods, but more like tropical jungle). The name of the part was Rumble in the Jungle in a trail-park near the Park View Buildings. (There was a lax drinking age in HK and combine that with teenagers.... we had at least 4 all-school invited parties per year). Looking back, my high school was a lot more like college. (It didn't mean everyone drank, but it was like the whole school was there, and much more of a college atmosphere). Ever see Dazed and Confused? It was a lot like that party.

I remember walking down the path with the others, and to my left was a wall of concrete sprayed on the cliff side, which is very common in HK to stop mudslides, but it was lumpy so as I walked it undulated from my perspective and I said, "It looks like it's breathing doesn't it!"

Finally arriving at the party, the gathering, we stuck to ourselves, knowing we were a little bit 'odd' from the others. ;) I remember Kevin Poon coming over to our circle and said what's up, how you doing? Or something of the like. And then fluttered off to another circle of friends. I realized we all form groups and never merge as one, and he was like a bee going from flower to flower and never apart of any of them, and yet was pollinating them all through gossip. (I didn't see it with my eyes, but had strong images and analogies in my mind). I wanted to catch him in a bug-net for a moment.

Then we got more comfortable and mingled. We separated and all I remember was hugging a tree (literally), and talking about how it has feelings no different than my own. I was telling that to Molly Sheridan and although it should have been embarrassing, my confidence was at 100%. She had a glint in her eye as if to say, 'I know what you did. It's pretty obvious, to me'. (She knew I was on acid). She was trying to flirt with me, and I was by no means able to be playfully joking and flirting. I announced that her eyes were, "Really huge, and what was that? I just saw a flash of red in the corner of my eye. Now there's a blue one to the left. I gotta go!"

I got away quickly and met with the other trippers. None of us could relate anymore. We went for a walk to be alone and get away. It was dark, but the moon was bright and it cast shadows on the path I walked on. It was like I had night-vision (my pupils were so dilated). But, I thought the shadows were non existent and if I stepped on one I would fall in to a void of nothing. I expressed my fear and we all agreed and avoided the shadows holding each other as if it meant certain doom.

I don't remember going back to the party, the 'gathering of others'. The effects were starting to wear off, and besides I had a curfew, so I went home. The others, having taken it after me stayed out and reported a story "I just had to have been there for". It involved ants on the moon and in retrospect, I realize, they were questioning size of existence. (Been there done that.....)

The next morning, I laid in bed and watched the white ceiling above me and saw swirls of colors. (You know when you stare at something for a while it burns in your retinas and then you stare at a white page and can still see the 'afterglow' of that image?) It was like that, but it was moving, and I could not turn it off. (I get similar effects during hypnogogia, but it's natural and unrelated).

I went to my brother's room to play a game on his computer and it was on, I saw the green light, and heard the hum of the fan. I sat down, but the screen was blank. What just happened? I checked for the green light again and it wasn't there. I listened and the fan was now silent. It was off the whole time, even though I swore it was on.

A week later, we all finally talked about it, and I remember saying, "For the first time, you guys were thinking like me." (They still didn't understand, and deep thought would undermine their high school 'popularity' of course.) You can't be 'cool' and 'popular' when you question these things... at least not in my day, where I lived. You had to be superficial.

(I was always my way though and deep, and questioning thought itself since my childhood fevers and night terrors expanded my mind). Compared to those, this was a cake walk! ;) (And I knew it and kept it to myself all these years).

----------------------

That's my story, as best I can remember it. Did some ecstasy and shrooms too, but haven't done any psychedelics since 1999. I'm an avid lucid dreamer now, and just won't touch that stuff even if it was offered on a silver platter. Lucid dreams trump all psychedelics put together, with no side effects, and the same insights.

I was not in control, and couldn't turn it off, even after the next day. It was a roller coaster ride of emotion and hard to keep sane when thoughts are 'real'. I felt like I was going mad. Yet after some of the craziest lucid dreams I ever had, I feel the opposite. I feel more calm, collected, 'in the zone', than I ever have!

LSD made me paranoid, and Lucid Dreams provide an afterglow that can last for a full day that make me feel at peace. (Even non-lucid dreams can do that too, don't forget everybody!)

That is my story and my comparison.
Last edited by HAGART on 17 Jul 2014 22:18, edited 2 times in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “Off-Topic”