Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » 27 Jan 2012 05:15

ale6x7 wrote:Hi Rebecca!
I've just discovered lucid dreaming and find it amazing that anything like this is possible! and I've spent a majority of my day today reading all the articles your site has to offer, and find myself with just a few unaswered questions:
When you manifest someone into your lucid dream does your consious dream involving them become their unconsious dream? do they remember anything you talk to them about in the dream or any actions exchanged between you? I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but right now I'm so starstruck that such a thing is possible that I can't think properly. I'm 14, the same age you were when you first discovered it, so you can probably understand the utter stage of amazement I'm in right now!
Thanks for the info. :)

I think of dream figures not as being separate from myself, but another part of my Self. Part of my subconscious, as this really does create a large part of my dream. However I sense you are talking about a literal manifestation of a real life person -- literally drawing them into your personal dream and interacting with them and then wondering if they remember anything about it the next day?

If this is possible, the evidence is only anecdotal at this stage. There are some lucid dreamers who are keenly researching this. Personally I am quite skeptical at the moment and am more interested in psychological applications of lucid dreaming. What you're talking about is perhaps dream telepathy or mutual dreaming - which we call paranormal. It's wide open for research if you're interested, but currently there is nothing scientifically sound to say that you dreaming lucidly of a friend would influence their own dreams, nor would they have any idea about the content of your dream unless you told them in real life...

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Jan 2012 05:23

ruane19 wrote:Hi rebecca. Im 14 and about a week ago i started to try and learn about lucid dreaming. i kept saying to myself "am i dreaming?" and things like that, but nothing happened except a normal dream. i wrote it down. i tried it again,but looking at my watch. Again, nothing happened except from a normal dream which i wrote down. i will try using the mild technique but do you have any good beginner tips for that would be really useful because it it slightly annoying i haven't had one yet. Thanks!
also, if i got into a lucid dream using the mild technique, would i always need to use that technique to get into a lucid dream?

Reality checks are just one way to have lucid dreams. I would suggest a more rounded approach if you want to be truly effective - consider combining this method with keeping a dream journal and a daily 15-minute meditation. That will set you off on firm ground at least.

Make sure you perform RCs mindfully and frequently. It can take time to filter into your dreams. Which is why I suggest combining techniques so you have a multi-angle approach.

If MILD works for you, then great! Why wouldn't you want to use it again? However there is nothing stopping you from using any technique in future; you are not bound to anything.

I think if you accurately practice 3 techniques in combination for 3 weeks, you will be much more likely to have a lucid dream. So far you have practiced 1 technique for 1 week. You are getting there, just keep trying and be patient..... annoying but true! 8-)

Your question is the most common one I hear. Please make sure you're not making any of these other beginner mistakes either: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-mistakes-made-by-beginner-lucid-dreamers.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Jan 2012 05:26

Hypnos wrote:Hi Rebecca, My question is: Is there such thing as Fake Lucid Dreams, I mean like dreaming of having a lucid dream, yet not actually becoming Lucid.

(I made another post explaining my so called Fake lucid Dreams on the Beginners page if you could answer that. :) )

Yes totally been there. See beginner mistake #9:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-mistakes-made-by-beginner-lucid-dreamers.html

Mistake #9 - Dreaming of lucid dreaming

This isn't really a "mistake" but it does seem to bother a lot of beginners.

People get frustrated when they dream about lucid dreaming, but it doesn't trigger a lucid dream in the moment. This is totally normal, even in experienced oneironauts.

For instance, I once dreamed about giving an entire lecture on lucid dreaming without acknowledging that I was dreaming at the time. I only became lucid at the end when the professor came up to me and said "Let's try some lucid dreaming now." The revelation hit me like a brick. "Of course! I'm dreaming now!"

Truth is, in the dreamscape, I rarely associate the words lucid dreaming with questioning my reality or having greater self awareness. It's just words. In order to become lucid, I usually having to think something like "I'm asleep in bed right now" or best of all "This is a dream!" No need to mess about with fancy words like lucid - what does that even mean to most people? Clarity? If someone says the word "conscious" in your dream, or "control", it doesn't mean anything either, right?

So, don't rely on the phrase lucid dreaming to trigger your lucidity. The trigger is a deep realization that, right now, your current environment is a simulation. It is created by your own dreaming mind on a philosophically self-aware level.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Jan 2012 05:30

LucidJosh wrote:hi Rebecca, last night was my second try at lucid dreaming, i was listening to some brain wave frequencies that are supposed to help induce a lucid dream, i didnt lucid dream but i did however feel a light shaking, it was like either I or my bed was shaking, what was this feeling? is it a sign that im close to getting to a lucid dream? also i was using the MILD technique.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post^^

Awesome! This is known as "the vibrational state" and it's very common in out of body experiences and wake induced lucid dreams. It marks a transitory state between conscious waking and conscious sleep. You were SO CLOSE.

Try WILD next which explains this state:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-induced-lucid-dreams.html

sspiders2193

Postby sspiders2193 » 27 Jan 2012 06:15

Hello Rebecca, I have started to lucid dream two weeks ago and I can't thank you enough for this wonderful site. My question is, do you have a particular way of mastering sleep paralysis or is it different for everyone? Cause I really want to do WILDs and WBTBs.

Thanks again Rebecca
Dream Count: 45
Lucid Dreams: 1
Vivid Dreams: 5

SarahDank

Postby SarahDank » 27 Jan 2012 06:16

Hey Rebecca. :)

My name is Sarah, and i have been a Very Vivid Dreamer for the past 3 years, and a Lucid Dreamer for about 1 and a half years.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make my Lucid state strong again.

For the past year I have been able to Successfully Lucid dream.
Some stronger than some.

When I become fully Lucid, I can always stay in the same level of Lucidness for awhile.
But lately, more recently than before, I have been having trouble staying in my Lucid state.
I will realise I'm dreaming, and then lose it straight away. But in the back of my mind, I know I'm dreaming.
I have a dream diary, But i have not done many entries lately.
Do you think I should keep writing my entries to keep it as strong as I can?

Because my dreams have been very vivid for the past 3 or so years, they are starting to really get to my head.
Almost to the point my mind will not allow me to wake up when I try to.
I am also looking into going to a GP and asking for a sleep test to see if i have Sleep apnea.
At the moment, I am trying to Keep my Lucid state for as long as possible, so i can keep my Vivid dreams away.

I'm sorry my post is a bit crazy, but im struggling to get all my questions and points out to you, Because i have so many! hahaha. And I understand if you can't answer a few of my questions. :)

I wanted to also ask you about Shared Dreaming, and re-occurring places.

Not long ago, I had a Very strong Lucid dream.
In the dream, I was with my Boyfriend and I was teaching him how to control his Lucid state.
It was all Very detailed, and I was 100% sure it was actually him in my dream learning from me.
Is this possible?

I told him the next morning, and asked if he had any dreams that night.
He said he couldn't recall dreaming.
Is it possible he was Lucid while sharing a dream with me, but just didn't remember it?

With re-occurring places I was wondering if it is normal?
In my dream state, It seems I have built a whole new world.

For example:
Everywhere I go, say.. A shopping center, I'ts always the same one, and the same parking lot, and entrances, and food courts. (I have never been there in real life, but its always in my dream state)

It's the same wherever I go. (unless its a crazy nightmare or something)

My dreams happen every night, to the point I don't want to sleep anymore.
I don't get any rest from my sleeping, all I get is more crazy memories, and I get more tired as the days go by.

I'm not sure what I should do about it, except for Becoming more stronger in my Lucid state so I can stop my vivid Dreams from occurring.

Thanks so much for reading this, I know it would have been confusing.
I guess I just need someones opinion on what to do, and how to.

I hope to hear from you soon :)

PS: I will be posting on this site from now on I think :)

; SarahDank :P

oliverlittle

Postby oliverlittle » 27 Jan 2012 17:01

Hi Rebecca, been trying a bit of meditation recently, bit confused as to wether I should spend most time with a clear head or focus mainly on incubating dreams?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 30 Jan 2012 23:45

sspiders2193 wrote:Hello Rebecca, I have started to lucid dream two weeks ago and I can't thank you enough for this wonderful site. My question is, do you have a particular way of mastering sleep paralysis or is it different for everyone? Cause I really want to do WILDs and WBTBs.

Thanks again Rebecca

One really cool way to explore sleep paralysis is by taking a galantamine supplement, sometime around 5am works best. More info here: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dream-pills.html

I'm not really an expert in SP myself, as when I WILD I skip straight through and into the lucid dream. I've had it a few times but really couldn't give too much troubleshooting advice. You might want to check out other Lucidity experts in SP like:

-> Ryan Hurd of DreamStudies.org - check out his book Sleep Paralysis: A Dreamer's Guide http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html

-> Nick Newport of Lucidology.com http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucidology-review.html (he has some cool videos on working with SP, lucid dreams and OBEs)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 31 Jan 2012 00:07

SarahDank wrote:Hey Rebecca. :)

My name is Sarah, and i have been a Very Vivid Dreamer for the past 3 years, and a Lucid Dreamer for about 1 and a half years.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make my Lucid state strong again.

For the past year I have been able to Successfully Lucid dream.
Some stronger than some.

When I become fully Lucid, I can always stay in the same level of Lucidness for awhile.
But lately, more recently than before, I have been having trouble staying in my Lucid state.
I will realise I'm dreaming, and then lose it straight away. But in the back of my mind, I know I'm dreaming.
I have a dream diary, But i have not done many entries lately.
Do you think I should keep writing my entries to keep it as strong as I can?

Absolutely. I find that when I don't write in my dream journal, my lucid dreams can be vague and harder to control. I get lost in the moment and lose much self-awareness, even if I do remain semi-lucid. These dreams, while fun, are only a fraction as powerful as true lucid dreams. So in my experience, writing a daily dream journal is one of the most important things you can do for your lucid dreaming.

SarahDank wrote:I wanted to also ask you about Shared Dreaming, and re-occurring places.

Not long ago, I had a Very strong Lucid dream.
In the dream, I was with my Boyfriend and I was teaching him how to control his Lucid state.
It was all Very detailed, and I was 100% sure it was actually him in my dream learning from me.
Is this possible?

I told him the next morning, and asked if he had any dreams that night.
He said he couldn't recall dreaming.
Is it possible he was Lucid while sharing a dream with me, but just didn't remember it?

It's possible he had his own dreams or lucid dreams and didn't remember them. But as for a genuine mutual dream, I really couldn't tell you that this is possible.

Look at the idea of ghosts - there are many people who believe in ghosts but that doesn't make them real. Mutual dreaming is a similar theory based on beliefs and unexplainable incidents, and lots of people claim to have anecdotal evidence in its favor, but scientifically speaking that doesn't make it real either.

Personally, I have tried to have shared lucid dreams with my partner and we never managed to make anything match. I also tell him whenever I lucid dream of him and he never has any memory of it, even though as a lucid dreamer he has good dream recall. So no, I don't believe in mutual dreams based on current research, but maybe one day technology will actually make it possible.

SarahDank wrote:With re-occurring places I was wondering if it is normal?
In my dream state, It seems I have built a whole new world.

For example:
Everywhere I go, say.. A shopping center, I'ts always the same one, and the same parking lot, and entrances, and food courts. (I have never been there in real life, but its always in my dream state)

It's the same wherever I go. (unless its a crazy nightmare or something)

This is common enough - I'd say these recurring locations are an expression of a recurring dream? If you think this might be so, try to become lucid in one of them and talk to other dream figures. Ask them: why do I keep coming here? Or: what do you represent? By understanding the meaning of these dreams you can turn them in on themselves and resolve the recurring issue.

SarahDank wrote:My dreams happen every night, to the point I don't want to sleep anymore.
I don't get any rest from my sleeping, all I get is more crazy memories, and I get more tired as the days go by.

I'm not sure what I should do about it, except for Becoming more stronger in my Lucid state so I can stop my vivid Dreams from occurring.

Thanks so much for reading this, I know it would have been confusing.
I guess I just need someones opinion on what to do, and how to.

I hope to hear from you soon :)

PS: I will be posting on this site from now on I think :)

; SarahDank :P

If you're having lots of highly anxious dreams, then it's possible you have unresolved psychological issues that need addressing. Your recurring dreams also point me to this conclusion. I'm no real expert in this but the prevailing wisdom is to actively seek to identify what's bothering you and face the anxieties head on. A counselor might help, or you can work through it on your own by writing things down and confronting your own fears as they come up... I would get some expert help on this as anxiety dreams can ruin your sleep and your waking life. There will be lots of positive knock-on effects as you address these issues too, so you have a lot to benefit from studying and acting on your dream content.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 31 Jan 2012 00:10

oliverlittle wrote:Hi Rebecca, been trying a bit of meditation recently, bit confused as to wether I should spend most time with a clear head or focus mainly on incubating dreams?

Some of both is ideal.

I recommend a daily 10-20 minute 'clear mind' meditation in which you focus on your breathing and keep your mind empty, entering into a mild trance-like state. Brainwave entrainment can help.

As you fall asleep at night, spend time incubating your next lucid dream, so the last thing you think about before you fall asleep is lucid dreaming.

Both will help you lucid dream for different reasons. Clear mind meditation is good for raising your self-awareness while awake - a mindset which filters into your dreams. And dream incubation is good for visualizing, programming your dreams and provoking the lucid recognition of the dream state.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”