New Scientific Study from Monroe Institute

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
Master Icy

New Scientific Study from Monroe Institute

Postby Master Icy » 15 Jul 2014 16:51

"Applying electrical current to the brain, according to a study published online in Nature Neuroscience, induces "lucid dreaming," in which the dreamer is aware that he is dreaming and can often gain control of the ongoing plot.

The findings are the first to show that inducing brain waves of a specific frequency produces lucid dreaming.

For the study, scientists led by psychologist Ursula Voss of J.W. Goethe-University in Frankfurt, Germany, built on lab studies in which research volunteers in the REM (rapid-eye movement) stage of sleep experienced a lucid dream, as they reported when they awoke. Electroencephalograms showed that those dreams were accompanied by telltale electrical activity called gamma waves."

Full Article: http://www.monroeinstitute.org/thehub/to-sleep-perchance-to-control-your-dreams

Karin

Re: New Scientific Study from Monroe Institute

Postby Karin » 15 Jul 2014 18:25

Thanks for this link!

That's funny, the image on the link you posted is the same as JonSnowLD's avatar... :|

Now about the article:

They also felt as if their dream self was a third party whom they were merely observing

Well, that's not at all how my LDs go. In my LDs, I am the self-aware dream self, I am not observing it outside of me...

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 15 Jul 2014 20:07

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Karin

Postby Karin » 15 Jul 2014 20:50

Just so you know that is not always true. Hey they did an EEG on me back in high school, and I was reportedly unconscious during the time, yet I was still Lucid Dreaming during that time.

Ha ha, thanks for that, Nesgirl. I am not surprised. Sometimes, the brain researchers make me think of cavemen trying to understand how a nuclear power plant works by poking the buildings with sticks. "Oh look guys, it makes BOING-BOING when I poke it, how about that!"

You know what website you are looking at, correct? That may answer your question.

Yes, I know the Monroe Institute. I read all of Bob Monroe's books, and I have been using some of their Hemi-Synch products for my meditation.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 15 Jul 2014 21:20

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Karin

Postby Karin » 15 Jul 2014 21:32

I would be careful taking any medication from a place that goes into death and afterlife. You never know what it'll do to you, having nearly been killed by a medication myself.

Nesgirl, I am not sure what you are talking about. I am not taking any medication from the Monroe Institute (as far as I know their programs are 100% drug-free, just using sounds), I am using meditation CDs from the Monroe Institute (some binaural beats). Maybe that was a misunderstanding?

Also, I am not using their Gateway binaural beats, just a meditation CD ("Inner States", by Patty Ray Avalon). I tried the first Gateway CD and I did not feel it was a match for me.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 15 Jul 2014 22:06

Karin wrote:
I would be careful taking any medication from a place that goes into death and afterlife. You never know what it'll do to you, having nearly been killed by a medication myself.

Nesgirl, I am not sure what you are talking about. I am not taking any medication from the Monroe Institute (as far as I know their programs are 100% drug-free, just using sounds), I am using meditation CDs from the Monroe Institute (some binaural beats). Maybe that was a misunderstanding?

Also, I am not using their Gateway binaural beats, just a meditation CD ("Inner States", by Patty Ray Avalon). I tried the first Gateway CD and I did not feel it was a match for me.

Oh, I see. I get a bit confused as some crazy organizations like that do prescribe medications and drugs that can cause horrible results. I guess I confused the t and the c, so my bad.
Here is my issue: personally to me, nothing good can come out of an organization that focuses way too much on death, dying, the process of dying, and afterlife. If they are encouraging people to kill themselves or hallucinate or whatever, then that's just really creepy.
Goodbye forever...

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Jul 2014 22:12

My cousin and I were also able to do that during are medical procedures (my colonoscopy and her wisdom teeth) without too much effort.

I have "watched" a few procedures over the years as well. It only gets odd if you try to describe it to the medical team.

There has been a bit of info floating around on electrically induced OBE and it appears to be that you observe more so that become the agent and control. It would be cool for an experienced dreamer to see how they get on
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 15 Jul 2014 22:43

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Jul 2014 23:32

If you mean like in a coma I can only pass on a post that was on here a long time back and a member was in a coma for a longtime and it was just a blank to them.

There is a lot of info online about trying to learn while sleeping if thats what you mean and it results ranged from getting headaches to not real progress. Google it and see what you can find.

I want to try another approach and that is to listen to a recording, say french language while I am relaxing and then get lucid and ask for a teacher (DC) to give me a lesson. I think that even If I cant learn to use the words the instant I hear them they are in my mind so it would be cool to see if I can teach myself while lucid
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Dream Science”