Lucidity in the first sleep cycle

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
JonSnowLD

Lucidity in the first sleep cycle

Postby JonSnowLD » 20 Jul 2014 17:31

I know that the best time to induce an LD is after several hours of sleep but I had an awesome lucid dream last night which was in my first sleep cycle!

I'd fallen asleep after quarter to 2 and then woke up at quarter past 2 after having a very vivid and reasonably lengthed lucid dream. it must have been in my first sleep cycle seeing as i remember looking at the clock at 1:45ish. is this as unusual as I've been led to believe!?

My theory as to why my dream was vivid so early on in the dream is two nights ago I ended up with only 3/4 hours of sleep so I could have been experiencing REM rebound (that 3-4 hours was also after drinking a fair amount of alcohol so I'm guessing REM was pretty much nonexistent that night... ;) )

Like many others, the majority of my LDs happen towards the end of my sleep, so this seemed worthy of note that's all!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Kman43759

Re: Lucidity in the first sleep cycle

Postby Kman43759 » 20 Jul 2014 20:00

Its usually at 3-5AM but its still possible at 1:45 Im pretty sure, infact I think I once had a dream upon falling asleep at 11:00, it was strange, its very rare Im guessing

Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Journey
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14621&p=39383#p39383
Dreamers Escape - Kman43759's Lucid Dreaming Forum ( IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE PEOPLE AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM)
http://www.dreamersescape.boards.net/

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 21 Jul 2014 10:46

Yeah, it was a good job i woke up after cause I don't think I'd have remembered it otherwise!

Although reading my post back I realised I made a mistake with the timings-I actually looked at the clock at a QUARTER TO 1 begire falling asleep, not 2 so this is after an hour to an hour and a half of sleep not half an hour DX sorry about that!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jul 2014 22:58

I've had some lucid dreams early in the night, as my first dream, and every single time it was because of REM rebound. Then I go back to sleep thinking I'll be lucid again, but nope, I sleep like normal after that.

(You can always use the EDIT feature to change your first post to get the time right. And begire? (before) :mrgreen: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 23 Jul 2014 10:16

Yeah I was hoping to become lucid again after but didn't ;) I did not think to use edit! DX next time I will ;)

Double checking this reply for spelling mistakes now... ;)

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Jul 2014 09:11

I have had a few over the years but they are very rare. I think the exception would be for shift workers with busted sleep cycles.

In saying that I have been playing with some techniques and been on the edge of projecting (OBE) in the early evening but will very intense feelings that made me bail. I will keep working on this and see where it leads.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 30 Jul 2014 20:02

Yeah, the theme seems to be that they occur when a persons sleeping schedule has gone awry for whatever reason!

Peter, having an OBE/WILD within the first sleep cycle sounds incredibly difficult but good luck!

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Jul 2014 21:30

LOL - thanks.

I have some ideas on getting there but the big barrier is that when I get close the feelings are super enhanced and I need to get comfortable with that fact and then let it run as normal.
Also even If I dont get there the relaxation is good and sets up for a good first sleep cycle
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 26 Sep 2014 20:04

Interesting I have also had one of the most intense lucid dreams ever after going to bed rather late and consuming a good portion of alcohol. There was no induction either nor was I awoken from the time I went to bed to the time I woke up. So I became conscious in the dream purely from the dream which according the certain psychological theories (you cant know you had a dream unless you wake up in-between a REM cycle) isn't possible.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 26 Sep 2014 20:36

I am unsure what you mean. I have recalled plenty of dreams and even lucid dreams which I know for a fact happened in the early sleep stages of the night upon waking up in the morning.
Do a reality check

Return to “Dream Science”