Can someone explain why/how this happened?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DaJooceMan

Can someone explain why/how this happened?

Postby DaJooceMan » 22 Jul 2014 05:35

From what I've read about, people dream when they are in their REM stage of sleep which starts about 4-6 hours after falling asleep.

Well, last night I fell asleep around 10:30pm and I had a non-lucid dream (the dream itself isn't important to what I'm asking about) that I was walking down the street of my town, and someone was following me right behind me. So I turned around, and leaped to tackle them. This sudden movement in my dream immediately jolted me awake. Upon waking, I was curious to see what time it was (expecting it to be the middle of the night like 3:00am) but as I looked at the clock it was only 11:30pm, an hour after I had dosed off.

Anyways, I was curious as to why I experienced a dream right as I went to bed? It wasn't a mid-day nap, so my body wouldn't of went straight to REM sleep. I didn't do anything special or out of the ordinary before going to bed and nothing was out of routine from what I normally do during the day. I normally go to bed around 10:00pm and wake up at 7:00am so my sleep cycle was kept consistent from what it usually is.

If anyone could tell me why or how someone could have a dream after only an hour after falling asleep, please share. I'm very curious.

Thank you.

GalMutzafy

Re: Can someone explain why/how this happened?

Postby GalMutzafy » 22 Jul 2014 06:32

You have sleep cycles, every cycle is an hour and a half, and in every sleep cycle you have a rem sleep in which you dream, so its normal.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary - Ashleigh Brilliant

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 22 Jul 2014 22:28

If you're very tired then it is possible to go straight into REM sleep, as the body tries to get the deepest rest possible immediately. Were you tired when you went to sleep? If so that could be it.
Dreaming is my drug

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 30 Jul 2014 04:14

There are many stages of sleep. NREM (Non Rapid Eye Movement) has no dreams, REM (Rapid Eye Movement) there are dreams. Right when you fall asleep most of the time is spent in NREM, however there is a short period of time of REM. Throughout the night NREM sessions get shorter and REM sessions get longer. Since it was early on in the night it would only be a short period of REM, explaining the short dream.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”