Why is There Something Rather Than Nothing?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Poll ended at 21 Jun 2014 02:05

The universe naturally and inevitably came into being.
50%
God created the universe with us in mind.
No votes
The universe is the result of a pre-existent consciousness.
50%

Total votes: 6

Karin

Re: Why is There Something Rather Than Nothing?

Postby Karin » 26 Jul 2014 23:39

HAGART wrote:(Short clip about why we perceive 3 dimensions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceM_0yxSv-4&list=PLuz7RUvtFdHKi4BiJTyvCS1pFgBsfHlLI&index=9

Cool clip, HAGART, seems very relevant to this discussion, for us 'question asking monkeys' (to quote that clip)! :lol:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Jul 2014 00:11

Jack Reacher wrote:Maybe there is no such thing as something, and everything is just theoretical.

I shared another clip earlier in this thread which explains how all of reality is really just mathematics. A concept in our minds.

I realize that sometimes we sleep and don't dream which is complete sensory deprivation and no time and no thought, and other times people report being lucid in a void space with no up or down, light or sound. (I had a few periods like that myself in lucid dreams). So I was wrong, we can dream of nothing after all. Ignore what I said. I'm back to square one again!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Jul 2014 00:54

Despite the scarcity of sensory input during sleep, dreams don't really arise from nothing. They do, in actual fact, arise from the following something: memories and imagination (the latter often stemming from all sorts of associations between concepts and schemas that the brain has already been exposed to).

So I don't really see how the analogy fits. In fact, genetic information even precedes the individual by millions of years. As for answering the "how" version of the question, at the moment, we can only come up with plausible quantum mechanical theories - you better believe quantum fluctuations were involved at the beginning anyway - and a better grasp of the way the quantum realm behaves will help to reduce uncertainty.

There was definitely something like a Big Bang (there is solid evidence for this) but it might also have been a Big Bounce in a multiverse. It is possible, as I've mentioned before, that the real beginning happened so long ago that all traces of it are long gone. We may never know the real answer to the question or in the least I have a funny feeling that it may elude us for longer than the mystery of consciousness.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”