First UNSUCCESSFUL WILD lucid dream experience

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
shams

First UNSUCCESSFUL WILD lucid dream experience

Postby shams » 26 Jul 2014 09:09

I tried to use the WILD technique yesterday and just left at the last moment, because I was scared :[
Going to bed at my normal time, trying to relax all my muscles. Repeating "This is a dream" in my mind and breathing deeply. After atleast 10 minutes I can feel my right hand and leg getting numb. That slight earthquake kicks in and my eyes(or vision) starts shaking. This is the moment I become scared. I read that this method can also result in paralysis in waking life. Is this possible?
Or was this shaking of vision and numbness the start of sleep paralysis?
Or was it just the start of a lucid dream?
Please help me

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

Karin

Re: First UNSUCCESSFUL WILD lucid dream experience

Postby Karin » 26 Jul 2014 13:03

The few WILDs I had have always started with shaking, sometimes to an almost violent extent (also buzzing sounds in my head). But I believe that even though it feels real, it's just a temporary sensory dysfunction, not a real physical shaking.

So maybe that shaking you felt was indeed the beginning of that. Now that you have 'tasted' it, you can think about it and try to convince yourself that it is a normal occurrence and nothing to be feared, and instead of being scared, maybe be excited next time, and as soon as it starts again, then welcome it and allow it. :)

Now what do you mean 'this method can also result in paralysis in waking life'? You mean, permanent paralysis? I had never heard that before... Who said that? Of course, if you are worried about this, it will be a major barrier to experiencing a WILD... Who in their right mind would want to take such a risk?

shams

Postby shams » 26 Jul 2014 13:54

Thanks for letting me know that it is harmless. I went back to that site, it says that I can get SLEEP paralysis. Did you ever tried this technique and went into sleep paralysis?
I'm very scared of that!

Karin

Postby Karin » 26 Jul 2014 14:51

Oh OK, then that makes sense. Yes, I have heard this kind of paralysis is common, though I have not had it when I had my WILDs. Actually, maybe I did and did not know it, I haven't tried to move (maybe if I had tried to move I would not have been able to...) I was just trying to relax into the sensations and focus on my awareness, not my body.

I did have sleep paralysis a lot as a child, and it was indeed terrifying. But that was because I had no clue what was going on. Of course it will induce panic if the experiencer does not understand what is happening...

Maybe now that you know that this can happen, and that it is only temporary, you could maybe relax if it happens and wait for it to subside?

It takes some trust definitely.

shams

Postby shams » 26 Jul 2014 15:43

Karin wrote:Oh OK, then that makes sense. Yes, I have heard this kind of paralysis is common, though I have not had it when I had my WILDs. Actually, maybe I did and did not know it, I haven't tried to move (maybe if I had tried to move I would not have been able to...) I was just trying to relax into the sensations and focus on my awareness, not my body.

I did have sleep paralysis a lot as a child, and it was indeed terrifying. But that was because I had no clue what was going on. Of course it will induce panic if the experiencer does not understand what is happening...

Maybe now that you know that this can happen, and that it is only temporary, you could maybe relax if it happens and wait for it to subside?

It takes some trust definitely.

How many days does it take to have your first lucid dream if you try the WILD technique? I had the shaking the first time I tried. Is this "shaking" always a sign that a lucid dream is near? One last question, How many lucid dreams have you had so far?

Karin

Postby Karin » 26 Jul 2014 18:42

I have had about 6 lucid dreams so far (I describe them in the Share Your Lucid Dreams section): the two first ones were spontaneous lucid dreams, the third one was a spontaneous WILD, the fourth one was an induced WILD (my first attempt at inducing worked, lucky me), and the two last ones were attempts at inducing WILDs that kind of failed and turned into lucid dreams shortly after.

Well, I personally have had several 'failed WILDs': that means, I do feel the vibrations, the buzzing, etc... but it does not end up in a WILD. It ends up in me either completely waking up, or possibly falling asleep, etc... I have not mastered yet the critical point of jumping from the crazy sensations into the dream. It happened twice beautifully, but I don't know how I did it, DARN! :x

I'll keep posting what I learn as I go.

shams

Postby shams » 26 Jul 2014 18:52

I just wonder what it feels to have lucid dreams. I gotta go to sleep after an hour. Am gonna try the WILD technique. Wish me luck!

Karin

Postby Karin » 26 Jul 2014 19:57

Good luck! :)

shams

Postby shams » 27 Jul 2014 05:42

No success. I wasn't able to feel the shakes.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 29 Jul 2014 06:14

That disturbing feeling you felt won't lead to any kind of harm, both in waking life and in the moment. It is a pretty odd feeling I agree, but it's generally on the verge of something interesting.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”