hypnagogia

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Blue-Starbie

hypnagogia

Postby Blue-Starbie » 28 Jul 2014 13:14

I've been practising a technique when you stay still and focus on the hynagogia I see then go into the dream. I think that the first (or second) time I tried, I felt my pulse go fast and it got a bit hard to breath and felt like I was just running.
I was still watching the images and felt them move as if they were on my eyes like always and then saw a baseball field with little Pokémon as the audience and I heard them cheering, at this point, I thought that I was day dreaming but then the vision suddenly stopped because I couldn't hold on to it due to the breathing struggle. I stopped the attempt because I was breathless and needed to get my breath back.
Ever since then, I can't get to that state again, especially since I've had a guest over and went to other people's homes for the weekend. I couldn't get comfortable on their beds so I couldn't relax.

What I would normally do is stop playing games at 8pm, do random things or talk about personal issues with myself so I don't think about them while going to sleep, have tea at 9pm for a caffine boost so I'm not tired and go bed at 9:30. It takes me around 20 minutes to go to sleep, have 6-8 hours of sleep (waking up on my own) so I would wake up at 4-6am. I'm waking up early because I'm going to college at September so I need to adjust my sleeping pattern so I can wake up early more easily.

Last night, I came off the computer at 8:30 due to distraction, had no tea but ate some sugary things instead, went bed at 9:30 but I fell asleep before even felt the sleep paralysis kick in.

Now, I was thinking, are there things that I could and shouldn't do before I go bed or when I'm going to sleep?
I also need to know if there's a way to make the images more vivid because mine are quite dull. :cry:
We spend a third of our lives sleeping. Some say that we're wasting our time sleeping but I disagree.
Steve Smith- Watch out for the red ball!

JonSnowLD

Re: hypnagogia

Postby JonSnowLD » 29 Jul 2014 10:01

Trying to induce a lucid dream when you first go to bed is unlikely to work as you will go straight into NREM (non dreaming stage) of sleep. Try waking up an hour or 2 earlier before you get up and then practising your technique as you're REM (dream stage) periods get longer after a few hours sleep!

As for things to do before going to bed, meditating or listening to brainwave entrainment are very relaxing and also beneficial for lucid dreaming :)

Hypnagogia is likely to get more vivid the closer you are to sleeping but if you want to increase vividness then there is a good article on the world of lucid dreaming website about how to manipulate hypnagogia so you can mould it into your own shapes!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Blue-Starbie

Postby Blue-Starbie » 30 Jul 2014 18:09

About the first bit, going to back to sleep 2 hours before waking up, is there a way to fall back asleep easier? I find it really difficult and then I nap in the day. I hate napping because I wake up feeling even more tired. I've tried the WBTB method but struggled to fall asleep because it's too bright as the sun comes up early in the summer time even with my curtains closed. I don't use gadgets of any kind because I've heard that they don't help with falling asleep.

What could I do?
We spend a third of our lives sleeping. Some say that we're wasting our time sleeping but I disagree.
Steve Smith- Watch out for the red ball!

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 30 Jul 2014 19:56

I have encountered this problem before as well, especially with light in the summertime! I know in many articles it says stay up for half an hour but this would leave me too awake to fall back to sleep again! I don't stay awake for more than 15 minutes before going back to bed. If this is too much for you, a quick toilet break and briefly noting down any dreams you remember will be better than nothing :)

Or you could try going straight back to sleep as soon as your alarm wakes you up! It won't really be WBTB, and you're likely to not be very alert but this would give you the opportunity to practise your technique at a better time.

Alternatively, you could practise it on lazy lie ins when drifting in and out of REM, this is the time when I have attempted techniques involving hypnagogia. Most of my LDs happen when I'm having a lie in!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 02 Aug 2014 01:34

Same here. As the sun rises so does my lucid dreaming mind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “For Beginners”