The hypnagogia

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
Dynamo

The hypnagogia

Postby Dynamo » 26 Apr 2014 12:01

Hey guys!

So I am trying this total relaxation technique from rebecca's 10 steps to LD.
She sais: "get total relaxation by relaxing each body part" then step 2 is to see patterns and stuff.

I relax each body part and when I am done I feel pretty relaxed. But that is it. I get no hypnagogia.
Once when I did it the relaxation, I felt someone was turning my around in my bed with 100miles/hour .
I ignored it for a few seconds then I cancelled the relaxation and it stopped.
What do I do wrong? I also can't listen to mp3 music at night.

thanks already

JonSnowLD

Re: The hypnagogia

Postby JonSnowLD » 26 Apr 2014 12:20

Hypnagogia occurs at the onset of sleep-so you have to basically be at the point of relaxation where you are nearly asleep. try maybe combining your relaxation with meditation when you're going to sleep?
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Jun 2014 08:48

Not everyone gets hypnagogia. If you are one of those people it doesnt at all mean that you cant LD as many of us still do.

If one technique doesnt work for you after giving it a good go, then try another. Dont get discouraged.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 30 Jul 2014 04:55

taniaaust1 wrote:Not everyone gets hypnagogia. If you are one of those people it doesnt at all mean that you cant LD as many of us still do.

If one technique doesnt work for you after giving it a good go, then try another. Dont get discouraged.

Could you explain this for me real quick? So a couple of weeks ago I was trying a WILD after waking up pretty early in the morning. I went into paralysis and started seeing a bunch of vibrant colors. This keeps going on for a long time. I hear an auditory hallucination and then I lose consciousness and wake up in the morning.

So was that hypnagogia, or a dream?
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 30 Jul 2014 08:55

taniaaust1 wrote:Not everyone gets hypnagogia.

This is a good point-I don't experience hypnagogia very often myself.

And that sounds like hypnagogia to me Xtreme-walrus!

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Sep 2014 07:21

Xtreme_Walrus wrote: Could you explain this for me real quick? So a couple of weeks ago I was trying a WILD after waking up pretty early in the morning. I went into paralysis and started seeing a bunch of vibrant colors. This keeps going on for a long time. I hear an auditory hallucination and then I lose consciousness and wake up in the morning.

Hypnagogia. That can sometimes be turned into a dream esp when one starts getting the auditory hallucinations. If its voices you start to hear, in your head try to talk back to them.

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 13 Sep 2014 22:45

taniaaust1 wrote:
Xtreme_Walrus wrote: Could you explain this for me real quick? So a couple of weeks ago I was trying a WILD after waking up pretty early in the morning. I went into paralysis and started seeing a bunch of vibrant colors. This keeps going on for a long time. I hear an auditory hallucination and then I lose consciousness and wake up in the morning.

Hypnagogia. That can sometimes be turned into a dream esp when one starts getting the auditory hallucinations. If its voices you start to hear, in your head try to talk back to them.

Well actually the auditory hallucination was the sound of a brick smashing on the floor next to me, jolting me awake. It was quite the experience haha.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

pennysuede

Postby pennysuede » 25 Sep 2014 23:31

The few times I tried, I was easily able to enter hynagogia within minutes is by allowing my body to feel so light and floaty to the point its almost "uncomfortable". as I feel floaty, I feel (not think) about being close to the top of the room- no expectations. With my eyes closed, this is when I see the goemetric shapes forming (my eyes closed) after that music, and after that my minds eye opens and Im in a dream. I skip the relaxing every part of my body and jump right in to feeling as floaty and light as I can. Hope this helps you too!

Derpybunneh

Postby Derpybunneh » 22 Oct 2014 21:09

I know how you feel. I can't get any hypnagogia... :cry:
LUCID DREAMS: 5
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Feb 2015 11:19

Xtreme_Walrus wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:

Well actually the auditory hallucination was the sound of a brick smashing on the floor next to me, jolting me awake. It was quite the experience haha.

On the rare occassions I get it, I use hypnagogia be it audio or whatever to help get me into a dream. If I heard a brick smashing on the floor I would of focused on trying to go and see the smashed brick by just thinking about myself doing that as if I was doing so or mentally calling out, did anyone throw a brick?

I myself try to engage with any subconscious stuff coming in to help take myself into the LD.. while others do the opposite. So experiment with these things.

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”