Clocks and Time

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Faith2014

Clocks and Time

Postby Faith2014 » 24 Jul 2014 23:31

Has anyone else ever tried looking at clocks in a dream? If you look at it and then look away, does the time change randomly? (: I find that that clocks are interesting, as my dreams have no 'time' order as such

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Highlander

Re: Clocks and Time

Postby Highlander » 27 Jul 2014 13:03

On a recent successful WILD, i got up my bed and looked at my digital alarm clock. It was like 88:88 and some other lights, being impossible to see the time.

Jackson

Postby Jackson » 27 Jul 2014 17:57

One time I had a dream and I saw the time in it ( like 8:23 or something) and when I woke up that was the time. Also I don't have an alarm for that time. In fact I don't have an alarm at all.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 27 Jul 2014 20:50

Last time I looked at a clock in a lucid dream, it didn't look like my clock at all, the digits were complete gobbledygook as well as being like 'double' (as in seeing double vision is kind of blurry). It was a pretty conclusive reality check ;)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 27 Jul 2014 22:12

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Jul 2014 22:57

We all have an 'internal clock' which is quite accurate when it's under an hour. I remember a study in which people were placed in a waiting room with no clock for different amounts of time and then asked how long they waited. They were quite accurate when it came to the differences between 5, 10, 20, 30, 45, 60 minutes, but after that it gets hard to tell. So if you read the time on your clock and then have a WILD and see the time, it is not surprising it would be accurate sometimes in the dream, and we can make a very good guess at how long the dream lasted using our 'internal clock'.

For fun, after a lucid dream when I WBTB and see the time before I went to sleep, I wake up and guess what time it is before I verify it on my clock, trying to judge how long I was asleep for. Sometimes I'm close and other times I'm surprisingly way off!

Anyway, back to clocks in lucid dreams. Ever notice how we use the word, "read" time? Perhaps the reason why they are askew in dreams is for the same reason why written text is hard to read. Perhaps they both use a certain part of our mind that is not working right. (Of course full clarity and awareness in a lucid dream will open up that part of the mind and correct the problem). But most of the time, clocks in dreams are all gobbledygook to me too!
( To use the proper terminology! :lol: )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 27 Jul 2014 23:48

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Xtreme_Walrus

Postby Xtreme_Walrus » 30 Jul 2014 04:00

Highlander wrote:On a recent successful WILD, i got up my bed and looked at my digital alarm clock. It was like 88:88 and some other lights, being impossible to see the time.

Hmm that's weird I've had it once where I looked at my phone's digital clock and it was 8:88. But anyways I use the clock reality check a lot, it's very reliable for me. Usually the clock's time changes drastically.
"I woke up in between a memory and a dream" -Tom Petty

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Jul 2014 04:15

Google Search: 7 Segment Display. (Especially Images of it)
That's what many digital clocks, and calculators use. I have a digital clock radio just like that beside my bed, and see it in my dreams during a WILD, or false awakenings very often.

Is it just coincidence that 88:88 is when ALL segments are lit? Maybe not. Perhaps we were thinking about ALL the possibilities and saw them all at once. (Hmm... Something to think about...)
I'll have to check my dream journal to see if that has ever happened to me too!

(You can even see letters in the time when it's a 7 segment display. I think I saw the letter, "A" once on the clock. I was literally, reading the time! ;) )
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 30 Jul 2014 11:44

HAGART wrote:Is it just coincidence that 88:88 is when ALL segments are lit?

Yes. That's exactly what happened. You explained it well. All segments were lit. But for me there was even extra segments lit.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”