The Universe :O

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: The Universe :O

Postby Summerlander » 27 May 2014 20:16

The latest from National Geographic on the likelihood that we live in a multiverse:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140318-multiverse-inflation-big-bang-science-space/?rptregcta=reg_free_np&rptregcampaign=20131016_rw_membership_r1p_intl_ot_w
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Karin

Postby Karin » 06 Jun 2014 21:28

On the topic of the universe, have you seen this awesome cosmological simulation of galaxy formation, done on multiple supercomputers (watch it big screen): 8-)

http://www.illustris-project.org/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 06 Jun 2014 23:54

Wow! Cool, Karin! It's amazing! :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 28 Jun 2014 12:52

Here's something you've probably never thought of. Every organism that lives on a planet is destined to relocate planets in the future. If these organisms are capable of thinking just as we are, then they will figure out that the planet they inhabit will eventually die forcing them to relocate. Just as one day all humans will travel to other planets and start to live on them, so too will other lifeforms out there. I read this somewhere in a space magazine. I forget most of the information i read so that's why it sounds a little dumb but, i hope you understand what im trying to say :lol:

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Jun 2014 23:34

Well, we could die trying...

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Jun 2014 22:48

If time is infinite than anything we foresee ourselves doing has already been done. We are like a seed that can spread and populate other planets. A spaceship is like a Dandilion floating in the wind. It might be going on right now with other alien races without us knowing it.

I watched Cosmos a few weeks ago, and learned that some bacteria can hibernate in the vacuum of space, so all it takes is an asteroid to impact a planet and send up debris carrying those bacteria into space, fall back to another planet's gravitational pull, and life might be spreading across our galaxy that way. Like seeds in the wind.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Aug 2014 22:59

Yes. Extremophiles could even have evolved in places we deem unlikely to bear life as we know it. Life could be more abundant and versatile in the universe than we currently suspect...

- Padmasambhava

Karin

Postby Karin » 05 Aug 2014 00:17

About Cosmos, I just bought the DVD of the 1st season and am watching it with my kids (they are 8 and 9). It is nicely done.

In the second episode, which we just watched today, he mentions Saturn's moon Titan, its liquid lakes of methane, its nitrogen atmosphere and methane rains, and wonders if there could be some life deep into these oceans, that would be completely different than Earth's life (since there is no liquid water, just liquid methane, and temperatures are extremely low)... Wouldn't it be awesome if we could find some completely alien life, even if just very primordial, in our own solar system?

And then, there is another one of Saturn's moons, Enceladus, that could also potentially support some life, which might be closer to Earth's life since there is liquid water:

Hidden Ocean Found on Saturn's Icy Moon Enceladus, Could Potentially Support Life
http://news.yahoo.com/hidden-ocean-found-saturns-icy-moon-enceladus-could-182015492.html

"The Saturn moon Enceladus harbors a big ocean of liquid water beneath its icy crust that may be capable of supporting life as we know it, a new study reports. ... it's in direct contact with a rocky seafloor, theoretically making possible all kinds of complex chemical reactions...
The moon's internal energy stores are prodigious; a 2011 study found that Enceladus' south polar region pumps out 15.8 gigawatts of heat-generated power,...
The subsurface sea probably feeds Enceladus' geysers, which blast organic compounds — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it — into space along with ice and water vapor."

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 05 Aug 2014 01:17

Enceladus may well have developed self-replicating molecular structures akin to the ancient dead Earth's proto-DNA. If it's carbon-based, has the right properties, and evolved over millions of years, there may exist aquatic flora and fauna there like we've never seen before. A rich alien biomorph-land would give scientists a lot of work to do and even shed more light on the origins of life. (We already know that a young Earth happened upon peculiar molecular structures, but, how often is this likely to happen in planetary environments slightly befitting the emergence of life? What conditions mostly increase the likelihood? And how many "soups of life" are there?)

- Padmasambhava

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 06 Feb 2015 02:38

Summerlander wrote:Well, we could die trying...

LOL
HAGART wrote:If time is infinite than anything we foresee ourselves doing has already been done. We are like a seed that can spread and populate other planets. A spaceship is like a Dandilion floating in the wind. It might be going on right now with other alien races without us knowing it.

I watched Cosmos a few weeks ago, and learned that some bacteria can hibernate in the vacuum of space, so all it takes is an asteroid to impact a planet and send up debris carrying those bacteria into space, fall back to another planet's gravitational pull, and life might be spreading across our galaxy that way. Like seeds in the wind.

Ohh is that the series hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson? I've seen of them and they're so interesting. That's true, it all comes down to the bacteria and tiny organisms. That's what scientists search for first on other planets, right?
Karin wrote:About Cosmos, I just bought the DVD of the 1st season and am watching it with my kids (they are 8 and 9). It is nicely done.

In the second episode, which we just watched today, he mentions Saturn's moon Titan, its liquid lakes of methane, its nitrogen atmosphere and methane rains, and wonders if there could be some life deep into these oceans, that would be completely different than Earth's life (since there is no liquid water, just liquid methane, and temperatures are extremely low)... Wouldn't it be awesome if we could find some completely alien life, even if just very primordial, in our own solar system?

And then, there is another one of Saturn's moons, Enceladus, that could also potentially support some life, which might be closer to Earth's life since there is liquid water"

Have you heard that Barack Obama or the White house has donated 18 billion dollars to NASA to plan a trip to Jupiter's moon Europa? They think it's one of the best prospects for life in our solar system. This information could be wrong as i read it on facebook but the page i read it on has reliable information.
http://www.iflscience.com/space/white-house-requests-30-million-europa-mission

Return to “Off-Topic”