Do THIS for a Clear Mind

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
powerpath

Do THIS for a Clear Mind

Postby powerpath » 09 Aug 2014 18:00

Meditation is one of the best tools to use to not only get clear on what you want in life but to also become more present.

Meditation gets rid of the mind chatter and allows you to gain a higher level of awareness on how you're creating your life.

What is your favorite type of meditation and are you consistent?

Comment Below! :)
Create Your Dream Reality:

http://bit.ly/1oE9s4F

HAGART

Re: Do THIS for a Clear Mind

Postby HAGART » 09 Aug 2014 19:08

I've started trying out some mediation myself. I've been lucid dreaming quite a bit for the past 3 years and never meditated before, but being aware in my dreams, I am also aware that I have a very 'chatty mind' sometimes. Things can morph and pop up out of nowhere beyond my control, and I often lose focus and get mesmerized buy a stray thought and go off on tangents.

I actually don't mind that, and enjoy experiencing the unexpected in a lucid dream. But if you want to have more control, you must control your focus and attention.

So I just started with a simple beginners practice. Every now and then, I close my eyes and simply listen. I take note of all I hear and start to notice that certain sounds that were always there, (like a refrigerator humming or a clock ticking), were always present, but I was filtering out those noises without realizing it. We filter out much of what we sense, but being more aware of it turns your brain into a detecting device, not a thinking machine, therefore clearing up the mental chatter for a while in the process. If you include all your senses all day it would be ADA, all day awareness.

As I do more of this, I am realizing just how vivid reality is, but never gave it much notice before. It's like we live our lives with those horse-blinders on (which is a metaphor for every sense, not just sight). Practicing more awareness when awake, will in turn, develop more awareness in a dream. And more/less awareness to me, is the only difference between a so-so lucid dream, and an extremely vivid other worldly one that blows you away!
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 10 Aug 2014 13:23

I like the good old 'breath' technique where I focus on my breathing and how it feels for about 10 minutes until I feel clear headed and relaxed.

I was first drawn to meditation with the idea of helping my lucid dreaming but have since realised that it is beneficial for waking life too! I should do it more regularly though... at the minute I meditate about 3-4 times a week.

I am trying to work on my ADA as HAGART mentioned-I agree that you really notice how vivid the waking world is using it!

Oh and as for mind chatter, I once read a great term for that somewhere which I think is a Buddhist idea-they call it the 'monkey mind' because your consciousness jumps between different trees of thought so quickly and randomly! XD thought it was worth a mention ;)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Karin

Postby Karin » 10 Aug 2014 15:48

I agree with everything looking more vivid. I started noticing colors in the trees I had never noticed before. Also, everything has more 'sparkle' and more 'dimension' to it. The coolest is actually when waiting in line in a store or something. Instead, of getting aggravated, go in that meditative space in the 'now' moment, and everything looks so much better, and it even becomes a pleasant experience.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but in addition to the above, something else started happening to me: I started becoming aware of some of my unconscious thought patterns. For example, one day I was driving, and started feeling joyful for no reason (which used to be very rare for me, having been depressed for many years). Here is the thought that came: 'How dare you being joyful when so many people are suffering in this world?' What???? How is it going to help suffering people if I suffer too? That does not make any sense. Maybe if I was more joyful, I would be more social, and would be actually helping some people.

Another example: again, I notice that I am happy. Here's the thought that follows: 'You should not allow yourself to be happy. This will not last, you'll soon be depressed again, and you'll feel so crushed when you sink down.' What???? So because I *might* be depressed again in the future, I should start right now? That does not make any sense. Why not enjoy being happy now, and if I am depressed later, then so be it, at least I can remember the days I felt happy.

All the above sounds obvious, but I am pretty sure that kind of thought pattern was going round and round in my subconscious and keeping me down, until though meditative practices, my mind chatter started calming down and I started becoming aware of those more subconscious thoughts. Once we notice how non-sensical they are, they just stop.

Another one: I always worry about stuff going wrong. One day, after a big worrisome situation had a good outcome, I felt very relieved and worry-free for a few hours. Then I became aware of my mind actively searching for the next thing in-line to worry about. WTF!!? It looked like a heat-seeking missile head searching around for its target. Stop it!!! Why do I need to actively seek something to worry about... Again, becoming aware of this kind of this kind of unconscious habit gives an opportunity to change it.

JonSnowLD

Postby JonSnowLD » 10 Aug 2014 16:14

Karin wrote:Why not enjoy being happy now, and if I am depressed later, then so be it, at least I can remember the days I felt happy.

... Then I became aware of my mind actively searching for the next thing in-line to worry about. WTF!!? It looked like a heat-seeking missile head searching around for its target. Stop it!!! Why do I need to actively seek something to worry about... Again, becoming aware of this kind of this kind of unconscious habit gives an opportunity to change it.

I agree, meditation is all about trying to live in the moment and not your fears and anxieties about the future etc!

Also your idea of noticing your brains thought patterns I feel is very true (maybe because meditation brings you closer to yourself if that makes sense?) eg if I'm worrying about something I've started catching myself daydreaming the worst possible scenario which just makes me more worried! I'm trying to use self awareness to counter this as well :)

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Target number of Lucid Dreams this month: 3
Lucid Dreams this month: 2

Karin

Postby Karin » 10 Aug 2014 17:19

JonSnowLD wrote:...maybe because meditation brings you closer to yourself if that makes sense?...

Yes, exactly. Very well said.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 10 Aug 2014 22:14

It also places you in the present, where the only thing that matters in NOW. And NOW is only perception without any memory or imagination, not regretting the past or dreading the future. I too happen to be a pessimist who doesn't feel worthy of being happy when I know others are suffering every second of every day, including right NOW. And just like Karen said, there's always a problem on the horizon after you solve one, and it's an endless cycle for your entire life until you're on your death bed and you think to yourself... "What was I so worried about all the time, and why didn't I realize that perfection was impossible?"

I hope to fully realize that sooner than later, but must admit, even though I said that, and I truly believe it, I still don't live my life thinking that way. Perhaps with meditation and positive thinking, it can alter my brain, like brain-plasticity until it becomes a habit, and I am a content person. (Not euphoric... remember, I said perfection is impossible). Contentedness is my ultimate goal in life. :|
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Derpybunneh

Postby Derpybunneh » 22 Oct 2014 21:22

I don't want to bother with meditation.
LUCID DREAMS: 5
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 23 Oct 2014 23:50

It took a lot of introspective meditation to get to the root of your desires and confront them face to face, toiling with your emotions to find the truth beyond personal beliefs and respond:
Derpybunneh wrote:I don't want to bother with meditation.

:mrgreen:

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 25 Oct 2014 19:36

I have a question:

When you pratice meditation, do you get more Lucid Dreams???? :?: or there is no different even if you meditate?? :?:
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 24+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”