Can dreams predict the future?

Share your most awesome, bizarre or lifelike dreams of the non-lucid variety. Tell us about your weirdest nightmares and false awakenings.
nesgirl

Re: Can dreams predict the future?

Postby nesgirl » 20 Aug 2014 20:49

Last edited by nesgirl on 06 Aug 2015 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 20 Aug 2014 22:34

nawick wrote:Of course dreams can predict the future. This fact has been documented repeatedly since the advent of writing things down.

Just because it has been documented does not make it fact.
Dreaming is my drug

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 21 Aug 2014 01:51

Last edited by nesgirl on 06 Aug 2015 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

jlb1956

Postby jlb1956 » 18 Sep 2014 10:55

This is what deja vu is, at least for me--a moment in time and space revealed in a dream. I experience deja vu all the time, and I can often remember the original dream, which could have occurred years earlier.

I had a very brief dream blog last year, and one dream I detailed was of a plane crash. Unfortunately I've experienced many plane crashes in dreams--the terror, the hopelessness, the feel of the plane falling. The dream I had occurred a couple years ago. The plane just dropped out of the sky--the pilots were caught completely by surprise--into a open field. After the crash the deceased, including me, were milling about in the field. I entered a large building, and as I approached a tv with coverage of the crash, I went lucid. The newslady mentioned '298' which I assumed was the flight number. We all know now that that was the number of victims in the Malaysia flight shot down over the Ukraine. I wrote the blog about a year before the actual incident.

madash

Postby madash » 26 Jul 2015 09:55

jlb1956 wrote:This is what deja vu is, at least for me--a moment in time and space revealed in a dream. I experience deja vu all the time, and I can often remember the original dream, which could have occurred years earlier.

I had a very brief dream blog last year, and one dream I detailed was of a plane crash. Unfortunately I've experienced many plane crashes in dreams--the terror, the hopelessness, the feel of the plane falling. The dream I had occurred a couple years ago. The plane just dropped out of the sky--the pilots were caught completely by surprise--into a open field. After the crash the deceased, including me, were milling about in the field. I entered a large building, and as I approached a tv with coverage of the crash, I went lucid. The newslady mentioned '298' which I assumed was the flight number. We all know now that that was the number of victims in the Malaysia flight shot down over the Ukraine. I wrote the blog about a year before the actual incident.

Yes, it happens to me a bit. Sometimes I get a little lost in the moment and people ask if i'm ok... i just say, deja vu

emberfire012

Postby emberfire012 » 01 Aug 2015 22:31

You guys have some really interesting opinions, and I enjoyed reading all of them. I have still not come to any conclusions myself, though.
But it did happen again. A few months ago, I clearly remember dreaming about driving by a car dealer in front of a strip mall in the rain. And guess what I did today? I drove past that same car dealer in front of a strip mall. And it was raining. And note that I'm currently on vacation, so I'm far away from home. But still, what the heck?
Any more thoughts on this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

toeknspen

Postby toeknspen » 10 Aug 2015 21:04

May be you could see in the future through your dreams. I have this experience that that certain scenario was in my dreams, it is called deja vu.

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucid-Dreaming-Club/1564700950411308

Code: Select all

https://twitter.com/LucidDreamClub

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Aug 2015 16:10

Déjà vus are not glimpses into the future, my friend. A déjà vu is the sensation that you've already experienced some novelty before. But just because you feel something to be a certain way, it doesn't make it so in reality. Knowing the brain's reputation for generating numerous delusions recorded in the annals of neuroscience, it is reasonable to infer that the phenomenon is most likely cerebral rather than paranormal.

When one feels that one's met a stranger before or has already witnessed a particular present event, given that there is such a thing as false memory syndrome and taking such into consideration, it isn't hard to imagine that déjà vus are illusions generated by a repetitive relay of information in the brain - a cerebral glitch, as it were - experienced by the majority. (One certainly doesn't need to be mentally ill to experience them.) Once that subsequent second relay is experienced, the first perceptual relay is erroneously interpreted to be the memory of something that happened long ago; speculative self-delusions may even follow - such as the belief in past lives or that the soul time-travels.

I would also extend the same logic to so-called precognitive dreams. It is nothing otherworldly when dreams happen to coincide with reality. I have experienced one such dream which uncannily resembled an accident that took place in reality two weeks later. But given that gazillions of insignificant dreams are experienced by billions of human beings on this planet, every night, there is bound to be a handful of 'jackpots'. (If these never happened, then it would really be weird!)

Until those who claim that people have psychic powers can demonstrate that there is a real mechanism behind it - and yes, the onus is on them to provide empirical evidence if they make claims from certainty - the purported paranormality of such experiences will remain moot.
[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Non-Lucid Dreams”