Upkeeping Lucid Dreaming

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Summerlander

Upkeeping Lucid Dreaming

Postby Summerlander » 22 Aug 2014 13:00

A few days ago I had a lucid dream which emphasised the hurdles oneironauts must surmount in order to remain conscious and sane in a world that is entirely hallucinated. I see many lucid dreamers languidly handling their experiences to become frustrated upon awakening. Their complaints: lucidity was weak and ephemeral; the memory of the dream world is vague; too many distractions to carry out a plan.

Many of us, however experienced, can often forget the execution of techniques which are vital for intensification, prolongation, and management of lucid dreaming.

So here is me, being chased by an angry mob. I'm running in fear because my pursuers are numerous. I remember my superpowers and hence the reason why they are chasing me. I'm a freak. At this point I seem incapable of thinking about how I came to be in this precarious situation. There isn't much thinking at all.

Events just flow and I blindly accept them. I act accordingly in the belief that what I perceive is true and real. I do not know I'm dreaming. I'm just dreaming. A practical display of my superpowers to evade capture goes unquestioned. These paranormal feats seem like the norm for me. My superpowers feel natural, mundane. Of course I can climb buildings like Spiderman. Of course I have superhuman strength. I am me...

Or am I? Harking back to this dream scene, I realise how much my waking self was simply missing. The "sober," lucid me would find superstrength and levitation mighty strange and enquire how on earth are they possible or scientifically viable. In fact, the moment I started flying in order to escape my pursuers, was when my inquisitive and curious mind kicked in. The inevitable association with dreaming occurred to me. The theory didn't even need to be tested. I was flying like Superman, burrowing through clouds, and recalling that indeed I had gone to bed last night. At this point, I am lucid dreaming about flying.

None of this is real. The dream people can't get to me. They don't exist. There is no "they." It's all me. It feels so good to fly. This is freedom. The vivid mirage of a metropolis below me is so beautiful. I land on a rooftop and feel gravel under my feet. The surface is grey and twinkling. It appears to twinkle more than it should, as though it's alive and pandering to the wishes of a child who craves for incessant beauty.

Then I remember having promised myself in the real world that the next time I had a lucid dream I would try to do a card trial (part of a suggestive experiment testing ESP). But what's that in the distance? It looks like a rock gig and there is a band covering Him (Finnish band) songs. I'm liking that. Lots of screaming goth girls there too. The card trial can wait. I zoom into the scene as quickly as possible. I engage in debauchery, and, having lost my lucidity, end up in a hotel suite where many people are taking drugs and basking in bacchanalia. I'm the king who impresses everyone. I'm the soul of the party. Where am I? Bam! I'm lucid again. The card trial! I'm back in my room, falsely waking up and feeling half happy (the dream experience was great) and half disappointed (I failed to carry out my plan). And then I wake up again. For real. What?!

Can you identify where I went wrong and what I could have done to improve on the lucid dreaming front?
[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Re: Upkeeping Lucid Dreaming

Postby Peter » 22 Aug 2014 15:32

Nice thoughtful post, I dont even bother to associate the two worlds anymore. They are both as real as each other for the memories they leave and the feelings in my body.
Really I get longer feelings of well being from a lucid that I do from daily life and so they affect me at a different level.
I also like to let the dreams run and quite a lot drift from lucid to non lucid and back. At times on the edge of lucid and non lucid its a great experience and that is good enough
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Re: Upkeeping Lucid Dreaming

Postby Summerlander » 22 Aug 2014 18:40

I know exactly what you mean. Somewhere in the spectrum, between lucid and non-lucid (but verging more on the latter), lies a potential preasurableness akin to lucid dream exhilaration. You may have identified the issue of why it is so easy to lose lucidity in a dream. In order to maintain and prolong lucidity, effort is required. We can enjoy the impossible and even revel in the knowledge that everything is just a dream, but, equally, we deprive ourselves of those pleasures which are best experienced if the situations that beget them are believed to be real.

So it becomes a choice while you have a lucid dream. Do you prefer to behold the scenery from the edge of sanity or do you let yourself go a bit - risking oblivion in the process and mentally restricting yourself?

What is worse as a restriction? Working hard to maintain lucidity and clarity of perception to the detriment of relaxation, or, letting yourself go to believe in the illusion before you (which could lead to beliefs of incapability - you are no longer god)?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”