I propose a dream experiment!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
James

Re: I propose a dream experiment!

Postby James » 22 Jan 2012 14:05

was it 6?
Was it worth it?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Jan 2012 21:14

If you are asking me.... NO!
Now you have a 1 in 9 chance....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 27 Jan 2012 18:37

Was it 4?
jamjam

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 28 Jan 2012 06:00

No it is not 4.

Now you guys are just guessing without sharing how you arrived at the answer through a lucid dream.

ANYONE CAN DO THAT!

But now it is a 1 in 8 chance of getting my number.....

jamjam

Postby jamjam » 29 Jan 2012 20:16

Ok I admit it... (it was a guess...) :lol: ok I promise I won't guess this time...
Sorry?
jamjam

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2012 02:16

I never expected people to take it seriously anyway.
Especially, THIS GROUP OF MISFITS! :lol:

Doctorjuice

Postby Doctorjuice » 05 Feb 2012 06:03

It sounds like an interesting experiment. It might work and I'll explain why I think so in a sec.

First off, your dream with the news reporter lady sounded very cool. After reading it my estimation for the success of this experiment went way down however.

Why do I think it might work though? When you are well acquainted with someone you're able to predict their reactions better. So for instance when I tell my mom that an animal just got run over by a car I can say that there's a 99% chance she's going to express a feeling of sorrow or some unhappy emotion of some sort (she's quite the expressive type). I would say that when a person chooses a number it's not COMPLETELY random. Maybe I'm SLIGHTLY better at predicting what number my mom would choose. There is no conscious reasoning in predicting what number a person will choose, the prediction relies solely on the subconscious. And a lucid dream makes the subconscious more accessible (or more powerful too? I'm not sure, I'm new to the concept of lucid dreaming and have had only one lucid dream but it only lasted about a second because I was shocked that it happened.) therefore asking someone in a lucid dream would allow you to better predict what number a person chose. I'm not saying the subconscious will be able to DEFINITELY predict but given this theory the subconscious WOULD make it MORE LIKELY for you to predict it correctly.

Also, I believe that it would get harder and harder to predict the larger the range of the numbers is. Perhaps something like 1-100 would make the advantage of a lucid dream negligible. Perhaps with 1-10 the advantage is actually significant.

Also, given this theory, predicting a forum poster's number would probably yield no advantage at all since the subconscious would have nothing to work with.

In all honesty, I don't think doing it with a couple of your close friends would even yield any good conclusions. Really, the only way to come to any definite conclusion would be through scientific research Get a large amount of people, maybe 2000, split them up into two groups of 1000. One group would be the control group where you separate them into 500 pairs and have each person guess the other's answer. You would get 1000 answers this way and then just see the percentage of people who guessed correctly. Do the same thing for the other group except this group would have to do it through their lucid dream. Problem is, even if you do have that many lucid dreamers, they would have to abide by the honor system.

It would be hilarious if that experiment was ever made a reality.

Great idea though really. If I ever have a lucid dream I'll ask someone in it how accurate this theory is.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Feb 2012 03:48

I want to talk more about this with Dr. Juice, and I agree with what you say. But I need to think about it and don't have time right now.

I AGREE THOUGH. I just cant word it right now....

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Feb 2012 01:07

I think I can word it now....

You can't know what others are thinking unless you have an emotional connection to them. I mean, you need to know them in real life and feel some sort of EMPATHY. Because dreams, although visual, audible, tactile, and... smell-and-taste-able (there must be better words for this...), but although dreams are vivid in those senses, we forget about the other sense. And that is... HOW YOU FELT! What was your EMOTION to the situation?!

Dreams are mostly emotions... the other stuff is just your mind making sense of it. I have no proof of that, it is just my gut feeling...

So for an experiment like this to work, I think it should be a personal question with someone you know personally. You might conjure or come across someone you know within a dream and ask something like, "Did you like the present I gave you for your birthday?" They will answer honestly, because your subconscious knew their micro-expressions when they opened it, (little facial expressions that tell exactly how they felt, whether you were consciously aware of it at the time or not.) You subconscious knows things like that......

That is just an example.
You can ask if a girl likes you, what someone thinks of your hair cut, how somebody FEELS about anything. It isn't always right though, but a far better experiment than a random number with no emotion with strangers.

Doctorjuice

Postby Doctorjuice » 13 Feb 2012 17:19

HAGART wrote:I think I can word it now....

You can't know what others are thinking unless you have an emotional connection to them. I mean, you need to know them in real life and feel some sort of EMPATHY. Because dreams, although visual, audible, tactile, and... smell-and-taste-able (there must be better words for this...), but although dreams are vivid in those senses, we forget about the other sense. And that is... HOW YOU FELT! What was your EMOTION to the situation?!

Dreams are mostly emotions... the other stuff is just your mind making sense of it. I have no proof of that, it is just my gut feeling...

So for an experiment like this to work, I think it should be a personal question with someone you know personally. You might conjure or come across someone you know within a dream and ask something like, "Did you like the present I gave you for your birthday?" They will answer honestly, because your subconscious knew their micro-expressions when they opened it, (little facial expressions that tell exactly how they felt, whether you were consciously aware of it at the time or not.) You subconscious knows things like that......

That is just an example.
You can ask if a girl likes you, what someone thinks of your hair cut, how somebody FEELS about anything. It isn't always right though, but a far better experiment than a random number with no emotion with strangers.

Yeah, I agree that the subconscious would be much more useful in predicting answers to questions where the answers are emotionally based or predicting how someone feels about something.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”