Inception & Lucid Dreams

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Hannah

Inception & Lucid Dreams

Postby Hannah » 16 May 2011 12:19

I know Inception was about lucid dreaming but why didn't they ever mention it in the movie?? I think it would have made it a lot more interesting if they discussed some lucid dream techniques instead of using that shared dream machine. To see them mastering lucid dreams on their own would have made it more realistic for me.

Also it would have been cool to see what Christopher Nolan thinks we can do with our lucid dreams....... other than invade people's brains!!! :lol:

I hope they make more movies about lucid dreaming. It seems like it is becoming a popular concept these days.

Jonathan

Re: Inception & Lucid Dreams

Postby Jonathan » 17 May 2011 03:33

Inception definitely got a lot more people interested in the subject. I really enjoyed Inception, definitely one of my favorite movies.

One reason they may not have focused very much on lucid dreaming techniques is that it may have gone over the heads of most of the audience. When you're making an expensive blockbuster movie, you want it to appeal to as many people as possible. But, Nolan did find ways to put some lucid dreaming things in there, like the reality checks.

Such a great movie!

Dreamgal

Postby Dreamgal » 19 May 2011 01:48

I had never heard of lucid dreaming when I watched Inception and I didn't know it was about that at the time! I thought it was more about mutual dreaming, ofcourse then I learnt about lucid dreams and made the connection. I also read that Leonardo DiCaprio is a lucid dreamer which is maybe why he did the movie!

Anyway I was thinking..... a spinning top as a reality check - would that really work!? :D :D

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 19 May 2011 02:14

I would love to see a clever movie that introduces lucid dreaming, weaves it into a nice plot, and teaches people about the concept sufficiently so that they can actually go home and start trying to have lucid dreams that night! To convert someone from never having heard of lucid dreams to feeling passionate about the subject - now that would be a triumph for the big screen.

I think the closest movie to this so far was Waking Life because they gave you real knowledge about lucid dreaming, reality checks, questioning self-awareness, etc. But it went off on a lot of other tangents too (although I still really enjoyed that movie, it was crazy!) Inception wasn't really setup to educate or inspire philosophical discussions the way Waking Life was, but I loved Inception too for different reasons.

Anyway this ultimate movie dedicated to lucid dreaming probably wouldn't be a blockbuster but I think there are enough people potentially interested in learning... they just don't know it yet! Have you seen The Lovely Bones? I thought her scenes of limbo were very lucid-dream inspired. My version would be like that :)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 19 May 2011 02:17

Oh and a spinning top as your reality totem! Yes I think that could work - although I'd guess you'd have to carry your totem around with you all the time, and spin it as your reality check 10 or more times a day. It's a cool concept but it might just be easier if you don't need a prop and can just use whatever you have on you in the dream (usually hands work for a lot of people, or eye glasses or watches).

aamorim

Postby aamorim » 04 Jul 2011 03:59

A Nice documentary about the movie ...

Dreams cinema of the Subconscious - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO4sTJJJMz4

All the best
--Andre
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
--Carl Jung

rosel

Postby rosel » 23 Jul 2011 15:30

aamorim wrote:A Nice documentary about the movie ...

Dreams cinema of the Subconscious - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO4sTJJJMz4

All the best
--Andre

Wow thanks for the link, i never tough that i can something like this in youtube. A really nice documentary about that movie,

Thanks again
Ill rather be respected than to be liked

worldenterer

Postby worldenterer » 30 Jul 2011 22:54

I liked the part of Inception when cobb used the Mr. charles method and Fisher realized he was dreaming and the projections almost killed cobb. :D
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

worldenterer

Postby worldenterer » 30 Jul 2011 23:01

No, my name isn't rod green, my name is mr.charles. Come on mr.fisher you remember your training. You need to accept the fact that you are in a dream, and i am here to protect you. 8-)
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 02 Feb 2012 07:59

Inception got me into Lucid Dreaming, but not how you would think. I didnt know it was about Lucid Dreaming, and I had never heard of the term before either, didn't know it was possible. When I watched it he asks that girl how she got here, she realises she has no idea how and then realises they are dreaming.

I then asked myself, what if I actually asked myself this in a dream? I would actually realise I was dreaming. Then I set out to figure out a way to do it, and started doing reality checks to make it a habit, I even remember telling my mates this once and they looked at me like I was crazy. Anyway it never worked and I gave up, then I somehow found this site and now I have done 6 so far.

tl:dr: I agree, if it wasn't for this site ( or maybe it was another website idk) I probably wouldn't have thought it was possible, if they somehow mentioned Lucid Dreaming in the real world I might have started earlier. They could have made a reference to how normal people do it, but they are special because they have a devivce that could share dreams.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Return to “Off-Topic”