Acknowledging that I'm dreaming, without becoming lucid?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
JogDog

Acknowledging that I'm dreaming, without becoming lucid?

Postby JogDog » 29 Aug 2014 16:45

A few days ago, I had a dream where, at one point, I was asked why I wasn't being more careful. I then answered "I know it's safe, this is just a dream". Somehow I didn't realize I was dreaming, even though my dream self did? How does that even work? I suppose that's progress, as I had only been trying to lucid dream for a few days, but... Is this a common thing for beginners, or did I just get really unlucky?

dreamergirl15

Re: Acknowledging that I'm dreaming, without becoming lucid?

Postby dreamergirl15 » 29 Aug 2014 16:56

Yes this is common I remember a dream like that as a child where I was mentioning to DC's that I knew it was a dream but I wasn't confident- basically I was standing on the edge of a cliff letting myself slide over and my friend said "Don't go over the edge you'll die," and I replied- "It's okay, it's only a dream," and she kept saying "No it isn't," In the end I decided it wasn't a dream and tried to stop myself falling but I fell anyway and died, everything went black and I was angry that I hadn't listened to her as now I was dead- then I opened my eyes and was in bed. That was what I would call very partial lucid dreaming- where the thought is appearing in your dream but you aren't grasping it enough to become fully lucid and it is a phase where you can be easily pulled back into the dream and convinced that you aren't dreaming- it's like only the tiniest bit of your conscious brain is awake. :) hope this helped xx

henryc

Postby henryc » 31 Aug 2014 13:29

I have had the same problem many times, does anyone know what can be done to become fully lucid when this happens during a dream?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Aug 2014 16:09

Stop everything you're doing and realize the whole scenario doesn't need to continue. Ignore the entire 'dream plot'. There is no cliff, there is no danger. It's all an illusion.

Now you're in 'sandbox mode' and free to explore and do what you choose. It's important to have a game plan. What I like to do is announce my name out loud to remind me of my waking identity (sometimes in dreams we are not ourselves). Then I say, "I have a body", and I look down and stroke my chest. Then I say, "I have a purpose". I don't know what it specifically is, and it's always changing depending on what dream goal I had planned, but that's when I try to remember what it was I wanted to do. (There's more I can add to my routine, and come up with your own, but currently that's what I do, (if I remember)).

After doing that, you have taken control, and your lucid dream will be far more productive.

But if the dream plot was already fun, I just go with it, or even try to resolve the dream dilemma. If I was being chased by security guards, it feels good to vanquish them first. :twisted:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 31 Aug 2014 17:12

When this happens to me the biggest obstacle is that I can't seem to care that I am dreaming. There is no desire to change the dream or to do something else or to wake up or anything. It's annoying almost, but I can't even care that much until I wake up.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 31 Aug 2014 18:35

That's why having several dream goals (and remembering to do them) is important if you want to take full advantage of your lucid dream, trying new things and exploring your mind. There's nothing wrong with a semi-lucid, self-indulgent dream though. All work and no play makes HAGART a dull boy. 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 02 Sep 2014 01:29

Just run with it, a lot of my dreams are very real and have the sort of event you are describing and I just follow on. They can get fully lucid from time to time and then back again.

Just enjoy and work on recall, its a small step from there to noticing detail and getting fully lucid if you want to
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

JogDog

Postby JogDog » 13 Sep 2014 09:44

It happened again last night.. Just worse!
I was falling asleep in the dream, and wanted to try repeating "I'm dreaming" in hopes that I would keep doing it in my dream (Yes, I dreamed about trying to have a lucid dream :P). First I did a reality check. This is the second time I've done a reality check in a dream, and also the second time it has failed. I then started saying "I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming" and so on. At one point I even asked myself "Why won't I become lucid?"
I think my brain is just trolling me at this point.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Sep 2014 06:30

We can "dream we are aknowledging that we are dreaming" with our dream mind instead of with our normal conscious mind. One can also "dream" one is having a LD but not actually have any conscious mind awareness too so not truely lucid thou it would fit some definitions of it but to me a lucid dream is one in which we truely do have some lucidity to it. One can dream anything.

This being said, it could thou be seen as very slight progress as the dream self dreaming about LD can help to trigger in the waking mind into the dream, so this can work as like an LD aid.

I'm dreaming" in hopes that I would keep doing it in my dream (Yes, I dreamed about trying to have a lucid dream ). First I did a reality check. This is the second time I've done a reality check in a dream, and also the second time it has failed.

That still is a move in the right directly, there is always a chance even if you were dreaming of doing a reality check, that it could trigger you to start to become lucid in the dream. It doesnt matter if its your dream mind initiating the check.

Take a look thou if there is any reason why that reality check may of failed rather then it being just cause of doing it with dream mind. There may be something wrong with the reality check you did. So I suggest to share exactly what you did and thought in your dream mind as you did it?

The fact its also failed with you even if it was your dream mind initiating it, is good grounds to not do that check again but find a different one to do.

Seeing you have only been trying to LD for a few days, I think you are having great progress. Obviously you've impacted into your subconciousness that you want to LD etc etc.

Do not at this stage get annoyed and hold thinking like "why cant I do this?" ..as when someone thinks like that, one programs into the subconciousness that one cant do it and this is very likely to cause it to take longer till you have a LD. Thoughts like that could cause your reality checks to fail if you've programmed into yourself doubts of doing it (so then subconsciousness creates situaiton of you not becoming aware etc). Its best to have your subconsciousness working with you so try to stay positive about it and that you will have a LD (dont worry about when, just be positive that you will).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”