Is it worth trying Sleep Paralysis?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Packie

Is it worth trying Sleep Paralysis?

Postby Packie » 02 Sep 2014 17:26

I have found many ways to do Sleep Paralysis, but before trying i have read some stories of what people felt and seen, realised how horrifying it is. So now im slowly changing my mind. Did anyone of you had sleep paralisys? Should I try it? Is it an unique experience that i should feel at least once in my life? Would i have any side effects or nightmares after it?

Thanks in advance.

nesgirl

Re: Is it worth trying Sleep Paralysis?

Postby nesgirl » 02 Sep 2014 18:55

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:44, edited 2 times in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 03 Sep 2014 12:47

nesgirl wrote:It is difficult to even get into SP in the first place if you are a beginner at Lucid Dreaming.

Usually you have to use the WBTB method to even attempt this stage.

Typically once you fall into SP, as long as you remain calm, you won't have too many side effects. You may feel vibrations or have a bit of buzzing in the ear, but just figure it is your body sleeping, and you'll be fine. Just remember you are partially in a dream, and it is only your own imagination that can frighten you at this point. When you are in SP, you can wait and see if you can phase into a dream, or you can start reality checking. If you find your breathing doesn't match the breathing you are hearing, you are already in a dream, and in your dream body already. You can then remove your dream body from your bed and enter a dream that way.

Interrupting sleep has been experimentally shown to cause the SP experience, so the Wake Back To Bed technique has the side effect of inducing SPE, so does being afraid of it and becoming an insomniac because of Old Hags. The ringing/ beeping/buzzing sounds are a sign you're already asleep and dreaming rather than ones body being asleep. These noises as caused by the vibrating of the small bones in ones ears (mainly the hammer and stirrup) which vibrate when one is in a REM dream state.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 03 Sep 2014 18:36

Snaggle wrote:
nesgirl wrote:It is difficult to even get into SP in the first place if you are a beginner at Lucid Dreaming.

Usually you have to use the WBTB method to even attempt this stage.

Typically once you fall into SP, as long as you remain calm, you won't have too many side effects. You may feel vibrations or have a bit of buzzing in the ear, but just figure it is your body sleeping, and you'll be fine. Just remember you are partially in a dream, and it is only your own imagination that can frighten you at this point. When you are in SP, you can wait and see if you can phase into a dream, or you can start reality checking. If you find your breathing doesn't match the breathing you are hearing, you are already in a dream, and in your dream body already. You can then remove your dream body from your bed and enter a dream that way.

Interrupting sleep has been experimentally shown to cause the SP experience, so the Wake Back To Bed technique has the side effect of inducing SPE, so does being afraid of it and becoming an insomniac because of Old Hags. The ringing/ beeping/buzzing sounds are a sign you're already asleep and dreaming rather than ones body being asleep. These noises as caused by the vibrating of the small bones in ones ears (mainly the hammer and stirrup) which vibrate when one is in a REM dream state.

is that really true? If that's what explains the buzzing then what explains the popping and cracking?

I was under the impression all these where merely dream sensations not actual movements taking place in the brain?

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Sep 2014 03:06

Hard to explain, but I agree that our inner ear starts to buzz. Is it physical or just tinnitus originating from our brains? I actually don't know.

I've had some 'Exploding Head Syndrome' before, but not a problem for me since it only occurs during that crazy phase state we dubbed, 'Sleep Paralysis'.

I have no answers and I'm just posing questions, but for anyone who experiences the SP State, it's certainly fascinating. No need to be scared. (If you can help it). I've had countless, and I'm still here and although a bit wonky, you grow from it and live to tell about it. :D

Fear is an option.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Martz90

Postby Martz90 » 04 Sep 2014 11:10

I can only speak from my experience. I am having sleep paralysis sometimes very often (i am not trying to have it on purpose), mostly when i am under stress or when i am not sleeping right, when i am tired etc.

If you know what are you getting into and you know what it is when it happens to you, it should be a lot easier for you to deal with it. When i got my first sleep paralysis i was terrified since i didn't know what it was.
When you start to fear in sp, mostly you have a feeling like something is watching you in room, or someone is trying to hurt you etc. When i learn to become calm, and didn't try to fight it, it was actually okay. I mostly seen just my room, sometimes lights, or symbols on the wall. Only thing i still don't like is that buzzing sound/noise.

My advice for you is to remain calm as much as you can during sp (if you want to have it) But for the first time you propably won't like it.

I heard it's quite easier to get from sp into lucid dreaming (i am begginer in ld), so on my next sp i would like to try it, since i am getting them quite often, so why not to try to get some good of it :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Sep 2014 04:42

If your goal is to LD, I suggest to keep your focus on that rather then side paths such as sleep paralyses, to which one may not even have a LD from (it is a common side affect of LD thou so sooner or later you may well experience it anyway). In fact some can just get stuck in sleep paralyses states and not then be able to do a thing in their dream state or due to the sleep paralyses, not be aware they are dreaming, so it can even be a hinderance to LD.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”