Evolution of WILD sensations

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Karin

Evolution of WILD sensations

Postby Karin » 03 Sep 2014 21:55

I have had about 8 WILDs so far, and I have noticed an evolution in the transition sensations. I thought I would share them here and see if that's just my own pattern or if anyone noticed anything similar.

In my first 3 or 4 WILDs, the most striking transition features were the buzzing and the shaking. In each case, the first thing I noticed was a very loud and discordant buzzing sound, joined by a sensation of vibrating that was peaking to an intense shaking sensation of almost violent nature.

Then in my last 4 WILDs, I have not had any sounds at all at the beginning of the transition. Another change is that the vibration sensations are now much smoother, and even though they are still intense, they are more like criss-crossing waves of energy, and I actually enjoy them.

Another difference I noticed is that now, after I am fully into the vibrations, I see visuals on a dark background: 3D shapes spinning, cartoon characters moving around, windows, arms reaching to me, etc... Each time it is something different. These visuals immediately precede the actual phasing into a dream.

For me, I now distinguish two key points of transition. The first one occurs while I feel the vibrations: at the beginning, while I feel myself vibrating, I am aware that I am breathing; then at some point, I am not aware that I am breathing anymore, I am only aware of the vibrations. To me, that signals that I have phased out from physical body awareness. (One night, I felt the vibrations for several minutes, but never lost connection with my breathing. I was not able to phase into a dream and the WILD aborted. This happened several times in a row, until I gave up.)

Once I lose awareness that I am breathing, I know I am likely going to be successful. The second key point of transition for me consists of the actual phasing into the virtual dream reality, that now occurs after the onset of the visual shapes. That is still a weak point for me, I am not sure exactly how to facilitate that step. So far, I have tried to focus on whatever visual is presenting itself and try to 'join' with it, and at some point -BANG- I suddenly find myself in a virtual dream reality, but I am not sure exactly how it happened.

HAGART

Re: Evolution of WILD sensations

Postby HAGART » 04 Sep 2014 03:23

I've had many and each is different. I once tried to start a thread conversation about it, but it was just you and me. I'll sift through my dream journal and drudge up a few. The transition is the best part of lucid dreaming. So weird and yet so few can actually remember and record it.

Give me some time to go through my dream journal and I'll be back. But skimming through your accounts I can already relate to it. Been there, done that. So weird and yet so fascinating. You are not alone.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Karin

Postby Karin » 05 Sep 2014 15:18

WOW here is something STUNNING! Look what I am just reading in a book I just started, 'Inner Paths to Outer Space', written by four MDs/PhDs, including Rick Strassman.

Look what happens when volunteers were injected DMT intravenously (p. 53):

A 0.4 mg/kg dose of DMT began exerting its effects within several heartbeats. ... A tremendous sense of inner tension developed in the subjects - to a degree that volunteers did not believe their bodies were capable of containing it. This buildup of inner tension was accompanied most often by a similarly building high-pitched whining, ringing, or crackling sound. While the rush and sound were developing, there was a concomitant display of rapidly emerging fluid and morphing kaleidoscopic visual patterns. Finally, for most volunteers, this culminated in an abrupt separation of consciousness from the body. ... We regularly heard comments such as "I no longer had a body".

Isn't that just exactly the WILD transition sensations I was describing above? I find that mind-blowing. Endogenous DMT must be a major player in WILDs!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Sep 2014 16:10

I have an excerpt from my dream journal I hadn't read in a long time. See if anyone can spot any similarities between this and what you all experience. And even some similarities with the DMT injection.

Thursday, October 11, 2012
(First W.I.L.D from full consciousness)

I woke up and looked at the clock. It read 8:45 (or so). I don't usually wake up until 9:30 so I decided to go back to sleep and see if I would be lucid. I forget exactly what I saw. I was thinking about the last dream I had with the road signs and how it was very much like a daydream but vivid. I was in a daydream state again, but with no images. I started to see blue flashes of light in the blackness. Again, I don't know how long, but I started to get the familiar feelings of sleep paralysis wash over me. I felt it in the head first, no sound but like my mind was vibrating. Then the bed sheets began to shrink around me as I expected. I remained calm. I almost heard a voice coming from the other side of the sheets, but I told myself it wasn't real and to focus not on what is happening beyond the sheets. My heart started to beat faster, and I breathed heavily. I focused on my breathing, trying to do it as calmly as I could. I felt a hand on the back of my neck and instead of getting spooked I imagined it was a woman's hand and it started to feel comforting. I waited for what felt like a long time (in retrospect it all was probably only a minute). I started to think of where I should go and began thinking happy-thoughts of a beach with women in bikinis. Finally, and quite suddenly, it all stopped. I was disappointed that it didn't work. Just in case I looked around the room. It was too real to be a dream, but still, just in case, I tried to make a blue thing move that was sitting on a desk nearby. IT DID! I raised it off the desk with my mind and knew I was in a lucid dream!

After the ensuing dream was over, and I woke up, the time was 9:07.

Karin

Postby Karin » 05 Sep 2014 16:26

Thanks for sharing that, HAGART!

In your account I see these common points with me and with the DMT experiences: the visual transition element (the blue flashes of light), and possibly some of the vibrations/inner tension (although it's in your head only and from your description it does not sound intense). Another major similarity is the sudden disconnection of consciousness with the body: in your account, you initially thought it failed, but in fact it had worked, you were in the dream reality.

The interesting thing for me is that in your case, and in many cases of WILDs I read, you find yourself in an almost identical setting as in physical reality: your dream reality is almost a copy of your bedroom. This has not happened to me so far, I always find myself in a completely different reality, so to me there is zero doubt that I am dreaming.

Another interesting thing is that even though this was your first WILD, you did not have audio buzzing or body shaking sensations. So that answers one of my questions, not everyone experiences this at first.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Sep 2014 16:48

Actually I've had a few WILDs before that and many afterward, but this was the first, and last time, I can honestly say, I started out from a fully awake state. Most of the time, I get them from a short, micro-awakening in the night, where I just roll over and sleep again. Whenever that happens though, I wasn't fully awake and was in a dream-room already. I dubbed those, my false sleepenings. They are the same though, but not starting from a fully awake state. So it wasn't my first WILD, but my first (and last one), that I can honestly say started from a fully conscious state. That's why I chose that one to share because it was a memorable one and easy to find in my journal.

The bedroom I woke up in was not like mine in real life at all actually. Yet, I didn't notice it until after I woke up. Sometimes things can be familiar even though they shouldn't be, much like a false memory. The room and layout of the house was one I use to live in back in the late 90's.

I do have some WILDs that take me into a dream scene, but most of the time I simply get up from my bed, or a bed of some sort. My theory is that with all those bodily sensations, I am very aware that I'm in a bed with a body, so the dream starts from where I know I am. (Or where I think I know....)

I have more I'll find and share. I hope others do to for comparison. Although each one is unique like a snowflake, they all have the same similar shape.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 06 Sep 2014 17:36

Karin
Then in my last 4 WILDs, I have not had any sounds at all at the beginning of the transition. Another change is that the vibration sensations are now much smoother, and even though they are still intense, they are more like criss-crossing waves of energy, and I actually enjoy them.

You're falling directly into REM Sleep. The noises are being made by the small bones in the ear and the "vibrations" are really the release of two chemicals. The initial visuals are standard hypnagogic images that pretty much always precede actual dreams and are really the first stage of dreaming. One really experiences HI whenever one falls asleep, most people have just become unconscious before they kick in. The DMT experiences seem a direct fall into REM too. HI normally kick in before NREM dreams, so you're slipping a bunch of sleep stages.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Karin

Postby Karin » 06 Sep 2014 18:52

Thanks Snaggle, very interesting. What are the two chemicals involved in vibration sensations? Also, if you have some quickly available scientific references that describe those stages, I would appreciate. Otherwise, I'll just google around. I'd like to read more about this.

Peter

Postby Peter » 06 Sep 2014 22:59

It seems that as you get more familiar with teh sensations then you start ignore them a bit and turn the focus inward and so forget about the body sensations and go directly into a dream more than an OBE and dream.

The book on DMT, The spirit molecule is interesting and covers a lot of what you have described and has a lot of correlations to LDreaming but the subjects were not sleeping and had no idea on how to control elements of the experience.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Karin

Postby Karin » 06 Sep 2014 23:18

Peter wrote:It seems that as you get more familiar with teh sensations then you start ignore them a bit and turn the focus inward and so forget about the body sensations and go directly into a dream more than an OBE and dream.

That could explain why there is no audio buzzing anymore. Also, I never had the 'OBE' stage (that is, the actual seemingly floating out of the body and roaming around the room), but always went straight into the dream realities, so far. Note that I also use the word OBE more generally, as meaning 'without any inputs from the physical senses and without physical body awareness'. With that definition, yes, I did have OBEs.

Peter wrote: The book on DMT, The spirit molecule is interesting and covers a lot of what you have described and has a lot of correlations to LDreaming but the subjects were not sleeping and had no idea on how to control elements of the experience.

You know what, I wish they would do this kind of studies with seasoned lucid dreamers and 'astral projectors'. I wonder what kind of results they would get. Because wouldn't this kind of people be way more comfortable in those dream realities?

Very good point about the subjects not being asleep. That is a major difference. They actually had strange things happening before they started using eye shades: people would open their eyes and see the superposition of the dream realities and physical reality. I am only at the beginning of the book though, who knows what's coming next. Concerning the other book by Strassman that you mention (the Spirit Molecule), I did read that one over a year ago, before I had any idea about lucid dreams, so I would need to re-read it, I am sure I would get a lot more from it now that I have a better idea about these altered states.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”