The difference between waking life and the dream world.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Jack Reacher

The difference between waking life and the dream world.

Postby Jack Reacher » 04 Sep 2014 11:45

Where is the dividing line?

Or is there a dividing line?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Snaggle

Re: The difference between waking life and the dream world.

Postby Snaggle » 04 Sep 2014 12:00

In the real world what one wills does not happen almost instantly and damage to ones body is much harder to repair and might be permanent. You'll also not die or suffer organ damage in a dream if one does not get proper food and drink. Women are also much less generous with their bodies in the real world - a good thing as being rejected is an essential part of building desire. It also sucks that one can't just possess people or animals and experience life in their bodies.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 04 Sep 2014 12:17

Wasn't expecting a quality response so fast, nice one.

Keep em coming.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 04 Sep 2014 13:00

The perception of waking life is part of a model created by our minds which is constrained by sensory input and serves as an interpretation. The perception of the dream world is largely unconstrained by sensory input (although it can be directly influenced by the external world in certain cases) and is thus part of a creative and malleable model. The dream model has the potential to reflect hidden (or subconscious) parts of the mind.

You want another difference? Waking life is us interacting with a world that is objectively existent. The universe is actual. The dream world is an illusion that only exists subjectively. Surreal, as Dali would have it. Nothing more than a mental concoction with no basis on reality other than neuronic activity.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 05 Sep 2014 02:16

That is a fascinating perspective to know that the dream world is not constrained by reality. It is constrained by the mind I suppose, which is in itself constrained to some degree by reality.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 05 Sep 2014 02:44

Snaggle wrote:Women are also much less generous with their bodies in the real world - .

Why would you want that?!? And some of us have a reason for being ungenerous. Some ladies may have been beaten up by bullies when they were in middle/high school, and most of those bullies were probably male. I mean if you were consistently beaten up by girls, you probably would have an anti-romantic side for the opposite gender. I am a strong anti-romantic obviously, and believe such things shouldn't exist. Leave re-population to science. And let's go get an education. Oh and date rejection is much more fun that acceptance, just look at this game: http://www.whackyourex.com/ I like to NN it whack your date. It is so comical, that you'll find it is a lot funnier to reject your date rather than accept him. Oh and this movie is funny too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoWblK6by0

Yes there is a difference between reality and the dream world/multimedia world. Reality follows a set of laws ruled by science and math that we all must obey, whether we like it or not. Accomplishment requires hard work and dedication in the real world. There's also the limitations we have, the fact we can get sick and hurt in reality, there can be discrimination, persecution, and distrust from interactions in reality, not to mention disabilities and weakness, and of course consequences for our actions.
However, the dream world/multimedia world is a world of our own creation and ideas (the dream world is in fact to me a programmed virtual reality), almost a virtual reality of sorts. Because we can program and simulate that reality to any way we imagine, it is in fact an alternate reality that we can literally thrive in with no apparent set rules or guidelines. As the programmer and designer in your virtual reality, you are the one who decides the laws, appearance, and regulations of how everything in your reality will behave. However, keep in mind that despite your new found freedom in being able to create a virtual reality for yourself, the laws of math will always be set in place, which is why you may see something unexpected happen or some odd comparison even in your happy place (probability). Laws of science also could have an unfortunate effect, if you are really sick in reality.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 05 Sep 2014 08:11

Nice answer, I would also like to reinforce the title that I mean waking life, so really im talking about our experiences as a whole, divided into two parts, when we are asleep, and when we are awake.

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Sep 2014 08:33

in the dream world we tend to act more like curious children and explore, play and have fun and in the "real" world we do everything but that.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 05 Sep 2014 09:42

Waking life is more solid, heavy, and stable. It is also far more meaningful because it is shared. As it says in "A Course In Miracles", what cannot be shared is not real.

nawick

Postby nawick » 05 Sep 2014 16:24

I cant "Fly" in the real world (unless I am in one of those winged metal tubes that store terror and other negative emotions.)
In the real world there is only 1 of me. I have no ability to switch from 1st person to 3rd (? Top down) view.
In the real world, I will never wake up, and you can't make me.
In the real world, when I break something physiologically, if I sleep and wake up, it is still broken.
In the dream world I do not age, I am always at that perfect age, when ever that was.
In the dream world I am happy (usually) where as in the real world I am simply not unhappy.
In the real world, the shadow beings, lizard people, cat people, hooded beings, blazing beings, Marvins and those others don't exist, or else are very well disguised.
In the real world, "changing the channel" only works for the tv, not for existence.
In the dream world, I have never had OOBE/AP.
In the dream world, I don't have tinnitus, carpel tunnel nor am I color blind.
In the dream world, when you hit the bottom of the canyon, you simply bounce.
"If you believe that you can or if you believe that you can't - you are right." - Henry Ford.

Return to “Off-Topic”