What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 29 Jan 2012 07:17

Someone asked this question on our Facebook page and it got me wondering - what do my fellow lucid dreamers believe? Please cast your vote and explain in a more detailed reply if you feel like it. It may or may not have anything to do with your experience of lucid dreaming.

I don't intend for this to spark a religious battle - everyone's entitled to their beliefs, as long as you don't hurt other conscious beings in the process. Please let's keep this a friendly and open discussion.

PS I tried to keep the voting options clear and simple but let me know if you want another option and how you would phrase it.

Caspi

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Caspi » 29 Jan 2012 09:35

Good question,
With all my respect to all atheists, I do believe in a creator, this world is so finely tuned up to be formed
By it self, and you can prove by just looking at your self, your hands,feet,eyes,ears,nose,teeth,heart,kidney,blood,brain and most importantly DNA you name them, all that made me to atleast believe in a creator who is greater than us a big bang wouldn't create all this right?
My first LD was I think when I was a child, about 11 years old, i was in a strange mountain, full of small black rocks, I knew that it was a dream, so i rolled over and over to the end of it :P.

flip101

Postby flip101 » 30 Jan 2012 05:30

I only follow my church to a curtain point in my life, that's mostly because of my parents. All I know is that when I grow older I am cutting my self from any religion at all. And that's in about when I'm 23 years old
Lucid dreaming is Reality, you mind's reality. It is what your subconscious sees and thinks through your eyes and your mind. It is the way you truly see the world.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 31 Jan 2012 04:36

Rebecca I can't pick from your options as none of them is what I believe. Here's what I believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJemDZcgIZE&feature=related
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

uogian

Postby uogian » 31 Jan 2012 14:39

I am Deeply religious person and trust my life to a higher authority (ALLAH ALMIGHTY). I am a Muslim.
I don't think big bang can set the perfect conditions for us so their has to be a GOD who sets the conditions that are suitable for us....
As far as lucid dreaming is concerned i search a lot about lucid dreaming that is it allowed in my religion or not. i didn't find any clear answers about it some say its not allowed, some say its a time wasting topic and some say its allowed. :?
I don't know who is right or wrong because most of them are not aware of it. but i am trying it and have found it quite helpful in building a good character.. :o
All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 01 Feb 2012 03:11

uogian wrote:I am Deeply religious person and trust my life to a higher authority (ALLAH ALMIGHTY). I am a Muslim.
I don't think big bang can set the perfect conditions for us so their has to be a GOD who sets the conditions that are suitable for us....
As far as lucid dreaming is concerned i search a lot about lucid dreaming that is it allowed in my religion or not. i didn't find any clear answers about it some say its not allowed, some say its a time wasting topic and some say its allowed. :?
I don't know who is right or wrong because most of them are not aware of it. but i am trying it and have found it quite helpful in building a good character.. :o

Lucid dreaming is neutral as far as any of the five traditional living monotheistic religions are concerned (six if one includes Deism). If one uses lucid dreams to sin, one has actually sinned as disobeying the will of God is disobedience even in a dream, if one uses lucid dreams to resist temptation and submit to God they would be an act of piety. Prayers in dreams and contemplation of the will of God are also uses of lucid dreaming. If one is just using them to play while asleep they would be wrong if done during a religious fast like Ramadan.
- Syrio Forel

Wolvendeer

Postby Wolvendeer » 01 Feb 2012 06:20

I'm a bit between the bottom two options. I largely ignore the proposition of god, and I don't believe in him, but I also recognize that there is no real way for me to tell at this point in time. I don't really think that it would affect me either way, though, because there are very few things that would get me worked up about any deity even if (s)he does exist.

I tend to stick to Pantheistic views, as far as actual 'religion' is concerned. Not exactly a religion, per se, but it is a world view that fits me well, and I'm content to have it and to let everyone else have what they want.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 01 Feb 2012 07:12

Wolvendeer wrote:I'm a bit between the bottom two options. I largely ignore the proposition of god, and I don't believe in him, but I also recognize that there is no real way for me to tell at this point in time. I don't really think that it would affect me either way, though, because there are very few things that would get me worked up about any deity even if (s)he does exist.

I tend to stick to Pantheistic views, as far as actual 'religion' is concerned. Not exactly a religion, per se, but it is a world view that fits me well, and I'm content to have it and to let everyone else have what they want.

You have hit the nail sir! There are no options for polytheists, pantheists (includes both the major religions of Buddhism and Hinduism) on that poll, nor options for Deists like myself. Does God really wants human toadies as the first option implies or children who love him and righteousness or is he a Santa Claus ever ready to reward you if you just worship him. The first insults God the second option man.
- Syrio Forel

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 02 Feb 2012 00:35

I don't believe in the existence of any gods, and I almost see religious people as being arrogant sometimes, to think that this whole universe was made just so that mankind could enjoy its chaotic and most likely brief existence while sitting on a flying rock called earth in this gaping pit of emptiness that we call space. I do not seek to offend religious people, sometimes I wish I could believe in all of it. It is comforting to think that you will go to a better place after you die. However, I don't believe, therefore I cannot enjoy that comfort. I have to live every day knowing that my expiration creeps closer year by year. And when people are finally deceased and gone, do you know where they really are? They're not. That's where they are. They are NOT. It is a scary thought.

Supporting links- some people may be offended by the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55h1FO8V_3w
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 02 Feb 2012 02:36

Well only last week did I find out Santa Clause isn't real so... I just dont know!!

On a more serious note im agnostic, I find it hard to define the word belief these days, I guess its more of an intuitive feeling we all have.

At the end of the day I don't care about what you believe in, its how you use your belief that matters. One thing I cant stand is people trying to tell others how to think/live etc.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Return to “Off-Topic”