Dream? Hallucination?

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
sindaRa

Dream? Hallucination?

Postby sindaRa » 08 Feb 2013 20:38

Good day! First of all, I would like to apologize for my bad english. And second, I hope someone can help me with some advice. For some time, I wake up in the middle of the night and see things. Not dreaming, but open my eyes and wake up for good. Let me give you some examples: Recently, I woke up one night and saw very clearly, a figure that has moved rapidly from side to side of the room, in the dark. I got out of bed, my heart was beating to break my chest, I turned on the light and I started looking everywhere in the room. There was absolutely nothing.. (not to mention how hard it was for me to fall asleep that night). Another time, I opened my eyes and I have a window above my head (sleeping in the attic). I saw very clearly how a green pot cover was falling "from the sky", and I put my hands instinctively over my face and jumped off the bed. I rushed to turn on the light and my eyes fixated on the window, I stared a few seconds, trying to realize what happened. Last experience was this week when I woke up, and on the same window above my head, I saw an incredibly strange shape (on the sky), what appeared to be a red outline of a very large ship. It was moving slowly. I stood up in bed and I almost glued my face to the window, to see better. It was there. I got out of bed quickly and went out the balcony, but when I looked again at the sky, there was nothing.
I don't know what to think, those are not dreams, no way... I am perfectly aware/awake when it happens. And I have to mention that this began about three months ago. Has anyone gone through this? Can anyone help me with some advice?
Thank you and have a great day!

torakrubik

Re: Dream? Hallucination?

Postby torakrubik » 08 Feb 2013 23:04

What links these events is the face that they all occurred as you woke up, and lasted only a few seconds. From this i would say that they are hypnopompic hallucinations (essentially this is something you experience as your senses disengage from the dreamworld and engage with waking reality; there is some lag which leads to hallucinations).
Dreaming is my drug

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Feb 2013 12:59

I think the same as the last poster.... one can feel wide awake and have full consciousness there but some times one is still half in a dream state and having images come in just after waking up. This is why you are soon loosing them.

Its a great state for lucid dreaming if you want to lay back down and shut your eyes and try to imagine yourself somewhere else.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 05 Mar 2013 07:19

taniaaust1 wrote:I think the same as the last poster.... one can feel wide awake and have full consciousness there but some times one is still half in a dream state and having images come in just after waking up. This is why you are soon loosing them.

Its a great state for lucid dreaming if you want to lay back down and shut your eyes and try to imagine yourself somewhere else.

If this guy uses this technique it will be pleasant night for him.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Mar 2013 01:22

With the ship thing.. did you after that go back to bed?? If so.. it may of been a false awakening with you believing you were awake at the time. False awakenings can be soo like real.

The other things "may" of just been hypnagogic halluncinations, the green pot cover falling from sky was certainly that.. so that being you saw.. may of been just a hypnagogic halluncination too. I personally thou like to do a house cleansing when I see beings inside like that just in case. pm me if you want to know info on how to do a house clearing.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Lisecila

Postby Lisecila » 13 Mar 2013 17:21

Hi! Yes I agree with torakrubik, it was probably a Hypnagogic hallucination. They can be very intense and realistic, but nothing to worry about. I once woke up, and found myself sleeping next to me in the bed :)
My Lucid art and more (both in Norwegian and English) : http://nattkinomaskinisten.blogspot.no/

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 22 Apr 2013 08:07

So this thing happen with you also.

Zippo

Postby Zippo » 30 Apr 2013 01:50

Agree with taniaaust1, definately the one with the ship sounds like a false awakening. They really are bizarre :lol:

I had one once where I woke up in my bed, and everything looked perfectly normal apart from my bedroom door rapidly opening and closing :? I was able to control the speed with my thoughts.

MattG1116

Postby MattG1116 » 03 May 2013 04:54

Why don't you try to set up some reminder that you know you'll see as soon as you get up that can ease your fears, or just try to remember that everyone is prone to things like this. For example, the first time I had sleep paralysis I was terrified, but now that I know what it is and that the things I see can't hurt me, I feel perfectly normal when i have it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Nickfan40

Postby Nickfan40 » 11 Sep 2014 03:11

About 2007 or 2008, I had a few strange experiences that still haunt me to this day:

I was sitting doing something, I can't remember what. I hear a strange noise and suddenly, I am not in my own house, my own time, or even in my own body anymore.

I was my 5-year-old self, but the strangest thing was, I feel like I am wearing it like a Halloween costume! My kindergarten class and I were visiting my teacher's farm in Frankfort, KY. I could see the trees, animals, feel the cold air on my face (it was springtime), smell the animal smells, etc. I can feel my little brown coat with wool around the hood.

There is someone on either side of me holding my hand. One is my mother, the other is one of my teacher's farmhands. I was walking across a creek on a bridge.

When I come back to my own time, it seemed like a few seconds had gone by.

I was sitting in my bathtub. I hear the same noise again, when I look at my hand, it looks like a child's hand, and I'm holding a little blue watch that has a picture of a cat lying on a dock, trying to get a fish. I got this for my 5th Christmas, but I don't know who got it for me. It is a few days later, maybe. I am taking a bath again. When I look in my hand, I am holding a small, manila package. The next day, I receive it; it is the video I had sent away for.

I was sitting watching The Beverly Hillbillies on TV. Ellie is playing with her chimp. When I look down at my hand, I am holding a little monkey doll. I look in our picture albums, trying to find proof. Away from the rest of the Christmas presents, I see the doll. I got this for my 5th Christmas, too.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”