Need Validation that I'm not crazy- Precognition dreams

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
nesgirl

Re: Need Validation that I'm not crazy- Precognition dreams

Postby nesgirl » 23 Aug 2014 02:21

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 11 Sep 2014 01:01

It has always been puzzling to me that many fundamentalist Christians believe that anyone with psychic/intuitive abilities is practicing witch craft, when the Bible has numerous accounts of well respected individuals who had psychic and healing abilities, with the prime example being Jesus.

I get the impression that sometimes you want to use your psychic abilities in order to influence other people to do things which are to your advantage, maybe trying to fiddle with their free will. This can be dangerous ground. There is the old saying, "What goes around, comes around." If you push the boundary of ethical behavior when using psychic abilities, you open yourself up to unpredictable negative consequences.

Here are some of my favorite resources for wise advice about developing psychic abilities.

- Book - "Your Sixth Sense" - by Belleruth Naparstek
Belleruth is a psychotherapist who is also a leader in the field of treatment of PTSD, especially using guided imagery. She wrote the very insightful book - "Invisible Heroes"
- Also - YouTube videos - Belleruth Naparstek on PTSD - 7 episodes

- Book - "Second Sight" - by Judith Orloff
The author is a psychiatrist who struggled to come to terms with her own psychic abilities.
She has another popular book - "Emotional Freedom", and she has YouTube videos, and also has a very informative website, about dealing with emotions and developing intuitive abilities. -
- drjudithorloff.com

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Sep 2014 01:44

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

passingthrutime

Postby passingthrutime » 12 Sep 2014 23:42

HAGART wrote:I'll jump in the fray and await a backlashing.

If it's all probability, then isn't it probable, given the billions of people on this planet, that some would have a precognitive dream? Even a one in a billion chance, means some have. There's nothing mystical or divine about it, it's just probability right. ;)

I have no faith, and I'm on no jury here, but if "precognition in dreams is more likely to be a coincidental illusion", doesn't that already admit that it happens from time to time, only with a low probability?

Even if it was all down to math, and probability, and coincidence than wouldn't those rare, seldom instance be prognitive by definition.

Instead of sweeping it all under the rug, we should be examining it with a magnifying glass. It may not be answered with math and physics, but instead with psychology, but there is still an answer somewhere, and many more questions yet to be answered.

You beat me to making this point
THX BTW no respect for logic from youtube, it's like a wiki edited by mADmen
"Proof is in the pudding however, and we need to experience it for ourselves. But it's also like saying, 'If you don't know than I won't tell you!' I'm not here to prove that my opinion is right" -Hagart

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Sep 2014 01:14

And Hagart's argument is flawed as his conclusion does not follow from the stated premise. Coincidental illusion does not equate with precognition. An illusion is something that has a misleading appearance. In this case, it may appear to be precognition but it isn't. Such coincidences are probable and do happen. Real precognition, on the other hand, is a dubious affair. It has never been demonstrated, there is no known physical mechanism behind such hypothesis, and it most certainly never really happens. Cock and bull! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 13 Sep 2014 01:42

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Sep 2014 02:24

nesgirl wrote:If you have a Lucid Dream/dream that happens to link to the past, present, or future, it is a probability Lucid Dream. In other words, it happens because of math, not because of you.

This isn't against nesgirl, I was just using the quote as a talking point, and it's my attempt at a rebuttal to Summerlander as well.

I think all of reality can never be rationalized without mathematics and it's the only fundamental truth. The whole universe. And that even includes myself because I am composed of the very essence as well. IT'S ALL MATH. A concept in our minds, which is also composed of the universe.

There are also some very rational people, like myself, who entertain the notion that time is an illusion and that all past and future events co-exist simultaneously. And all quantum mechanics are probable.

I don't have a doctorate, or a P.H.D. and have no evidence from books to support my claim. This is just food for thought from some guy at a computer shooting the breeze for fun.

Perhaps we need to think outside the box, and realize all of reality wasn't what we thought it was, and we were all closed minded. We need to jump out and wake up, like a Jack-In-The-Box.... SURPRISE!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Sep 2014 02:42

If it's true that we have no free will, and are just a complex product of Newton's Cradle, our whole bodies and minds being predictive, just bumbling around like moist robots, than wouldn't precognition be the norm?

The fact that it isn't is because we are blind and sleep walking though life. Perhaps it takes an altered state of consciousness to tap into a greater wealth of knowledge of pure math and probability, without preconceived ideas, desires, notions, and emotions to get it.

I myself haven't had a precognitive dream, and I'm just playing the role of Devil's Advocate for the purpose of a good discussion. I'm using probability and math as the very counterpoint to turn your arguments around and flip it inside out.

If I'm wrong, than it means we really do have free will after all. I don't see how we can have both, and it's a contradiction to me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Sep 2014 11:10

This is a teleological argument...

We have no free will and we can make predictions about the future based on what we know at present and observation. But prediction is not the same as precognition. Science does a lot of the former. Predictions can be wrong too (they are not exactly seeing into the future) and theories can be revised.

We experience states of mind in a universe that is deterministic. Our bodies are merely biological armours for our genes - armours that have evolved to adapt to the environment. But evolution is blind and doesn't have a particular aim in the future. It cannot predict what's going to happen and how living organisms will change. Evolution is merely a gradual change brought about by natural pressures. It can make irreversible mistakes and biologists can think of ways in which nature could have done better.

So, the fact that we do NOT have free will does not necessarily demand the ability of precognition. If the universe at present was a living thing and could see into the future (and cared about the Earth) it would be able to see that alien invaders will "terraform" the planet by turning the atmosphere poisonous to all earthly life. Then it would do everything in its power to evolutionarily help all species so that they could survive the poison.

But evolution does not work like this. Natural selection does not prepare organisms for what's to come. There is no entelechy. The fact that the majority of the species that have existed on Earth have gone extinct is a testament to this. The first falling domino is clueless about the havoc it will wreak ahead of it.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 13 Sep 2014 12:24

I understand what you are saying, mate, but even the human brain is too limited compared to the universe and all its uncertainties. I can assure you I am not shittin' ya! :-D

Cock-and-bull ideas aside, let me tell you about organisms in nature using unpredictable time in evolutionarily stable strategies in order to get ahead of competitors and survive. Unpredictability is a good weapon to use in wars of attrition.

If your rivals don't know how long you are willing to persist when persuing a goal, bearing in mind that giving up can also be beneficial in conserving energy, you are at an advantage. Until they suss out your rhythms. If whisker-flickering, for instance, is a sign that an animal is about to retreat, there would be a very simple winning strategy: if the opponent's whiskers flicker, wait a little while longer (regardless of your previous plans to give up earlier) and then continued to persue the goal unhindered. You will reap the benefits. I hope you know what I'm talking about.

The brain does not have everything sussed out. We know very little about the universe (even the local observable one which is only a tiny portion). Quantum theory works but has many interpretations - and there is an uncertainty principle. Computers can calculate way faster than our best minds. The brain cannot even be trusted to store information and its memory capacity is terrible. Every memory is a reconstruction of perceived events and a potential confabulation.

The brain is phenomenal but it is still a poor tool - even at perceiving the objective world. John Locke had a point.

Edit: Hagart, where did your post go? LOL!

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Paranormal Activity”