Reality Checks

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Finch_Linus

Reality Checks

Postby Finch_Linus » 04 Sep 2014 15:49

Can anyone help me think of a good trigger for reality checks? I do it when I see clocks, think about lucid dreaming, but since this is unlikely to happen in my dream...

Secondly, I analysed my dream journal and found that I have predominantly 'Context' based dream signs (i.e everything is normal, except the plot). How can I use this to do a reality check?

Finch_Linus

Re: Reality Checks

Postby Finch_Linus » 04 Sep 2014 20:42

Is anybody able to offer help?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Sep 2014 07:23

If you dont tend to get clocks in your dream try to be doing your reality checking to something which is in your dreams eg if there is a certain room often in your dream from life, you could do a reality check every time you find yourself entering that room... or whenever after seeing a certain person you see in real life and your dreams.

With plots, if it is the same plot which reoccurs in a dream you can program yourself to do reality checking on that plot by meditating on that plot scene and thinking over and over about yourself doing a reality check whenever that occurs. If it is all different plots thou, you wont be able to program that. Spend at least 5 mins each night preferably right before sleep, thinking of tht plot and how you would reality check if it occurs, imagine yourself doing so.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 13 Sep 2014 13:15

Context dream signs are divided into seven sub categories:

1- Character role

2- Self role

3- character place

4- object place

5- setting place

6- setting time

7- setting situation

Perform a reality check whenever you notice:

A character is performing an unusual role, or you are performing an unusual role.

Characters and objects are in the wrong setting, or you are in a strange place.

The time is wrong (from the past) or the situation is bizarre.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Sep 2014 06:43

LucidityMaster wrote:
Perform a reality check whenever you notice:

A character is performing an unusual role, or you are performing an unusual role.

Characters and objects are in the wrong setting, or you are in a strange place.

The time is wrong (from the past) or the situation is bizarre.

People dont tend to do those things in their dreams unless they program themselves to do so or program themselves to be questioning, otherwise people are usually unaware when their DC is doing something unusual or an object in the wrong place in a dream. One needs to most of the time program themselves in some manner first so they can start becoming aware of these things in a dream.

I think cause you experienced LD from the first time you tried, you are unaware of how people usually go about having to learn how to do these things. You are missing telling poster "how" to do these things you are suggesting.

eg I can see something very weird eg a talking tornado with eyes, but cause Im dreaming, Im not even aware this is weird at all!!! (this is why Im refering to the need of programming to have more hope of being able to do those things you mentioned). Someone otherwise can go to bed each night telling themselves they will become aware if anything weird happens and keep missing the weirdness. That then negatively impacts on their LD attempts as they become more and more frustated at themselves and "why didnt that make me aware!?"

Anyway, I suggest when telling people what they should try to do, to also tell them "how" to do it too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”