The Ilusion of Time and Reality as We Think we Know it.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
HAGART

The Ilusion of Time and Reality as We Think we Know it.

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2014 11:43

We can all agree that looking at stars at the night sky are just light hitting our eye from a long time ago. It's beautiful to look at and you can just sit back and stare. How about a candle 10 feet away? Look at it. It still takes 'time' to reach our eyes and register. You see it flicker and dance and are mesmerized, without a second thought. With such beauty too, just like those stars. It came from a long time ago, in time, as well. It's all relative. ;)

Now ask a person 5 feet ahead of you and ask them what they see. You can both have a conversation, just reverberations in air, and both feel you are in the same space and time in the present.

BUT YOU'RE NOT!

It takes time, even the most minuscule amount, for the sounds to reach that person 5 feet ahead of you. And it takes time for the light to reach both your eyes; Sound is just slightly behind, but it feels like living it the present. But you are still not.

Does this make sense? Do you see the ramifications of this? How do lucid dreams enter the equation?
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Re: The Ilusion of Time and Reality as We Think we Know it.

Postby Peter » 16 Sep 2014 16:12

We live in the past no matter what, I think our dreams are the only real time event we experience. How that matters I dont know but there it is - the truth...
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

nawick

Postby nawick » 16 Sep 2014 18:57

I agree that Time is an illusion. I came to the conclusion long ago that I live "now". The past is just memories. The future is the now that hasn't happened. yet. Time is just a convention that people agree on. It makes things less cluttered. But it can never be measured twice. Duration of an event can, but not the "now" that is a memory.
Just because we observe something that happened long ago does not preclude that we are observing it now. How else? To that particle/wavicle/ it is now for it too, whenever it is, right now.
"If you believe that you can or if you believe that you can't - you are right." - Henry Ford.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2014 19:41

What is 'time' even in a dream. How long does it take for a subconscious idea to manifest itself? It's not instant. :o

Here's a funny clip from Spaceballs. A funny, self aware movie, which is funny and yet thought provoking. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Sep 2014 20:54

it takes time but I think it is as close as you can get to living in the moment when you are dreaming. You are creating as you go and not exploring something already created
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 16 Sep 2014 22:19

Hence... it's all an illusion isn't it? Waking life and dreams. :ugeek:

Where are we 'now'? Whatever feels 'right'.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 01:30

If we saw reality as it really is, with light and sound out of sync, we would not be able to make sense of the world. We'd be confused. The world appears to make sense because our brains are constantly "lying" to us. By the time sensory input reaches consciousness, the data has been tampered with, conveniently doctored, and what we experience is, for all intents and purposes, a lie.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Sep 2014 02:08

i dont think you can term it a lie, its more the result of our senses and so its as real as it needs to be or can be for us to exist without harming ourselves.

If we had no senses then no matter what we could not experience the world, even dreaming is an experience using inner senses

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 02:31

I think you CAN term it a "lie" in the sense that your brain produces illusions, and, as a result, inaccurate interpretations of what is really out there. It is not the truth but the brain passes it off as the truth. This is the sense in which it lies. It is even analogous to a white lie if it serves the organism well and aids its survival. "Lying" in this context is not deliberate, it is consequential and the result of our biology. We are not deliberately lying to ourselves, Peter.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Sep 2014 03:25

in that context its a lie I can accept that but still not comfortable with the word as it seems to reduce us to nothing by using it and therefore the way we see the world. I fully understand the illusion and also the need, every organism has it own set of lies then and needs them.

Is there anything that sees the world as it really is?

Return to “Off-Topic”