The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Inedible

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby Inedible » 16 Sep 2014 23:54

Now all that is left is to pick something positive to actually discuss, instead of something to avoid discussing.

PKJacker

Postby PKJacker » 17 Sep 2014 00:45

Black holes are pretty cool....
Three steps from bliss.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 01:03

Black holes are irrelevant to the topic.

I know. We could start by talking about a particular pseudoscientist who has formed a cult and subscribes to a weird form of karma within a cosmic consciousness. His ideology is definitely quasi-theist. A spiritual ("non-physical") caste system is implied. It is all poppycock. I have checked out his literature to know that he even misquoted great scientists and philosophers (either lying in paraphrasing or the context in which the words were used). I'm talking about Thomas Campbell and his TOE (which is no theory at all).

Let me also make it clear to many out there who got the wrong idea about Einstein: as much as he spoke of "God," he was not referring to a personal one. Einie was in awe of the universe. He shared the same sentiments as Spinoza. For all intents and purposes, Einstein was really an atheist.

We should be glad that God, as portrayed by the great monotheisms of the world, does not exist. There is no Yahweh, or Allah, or Jehovah. We should be glad that there is no celestial dictatorship for obvious Orwellian reasons. Just check out Nineteen Eighty-Four and you'll know what I mean.

No God means no Big Brother; no celestial North Korea (as Hitchens put it once); no thought crime; no fear of the leader; no compulsion to love the leader no matter what he does to you and your loved ones; no compulsion to believe without question; no threat of eternal damnation; no boring eternal heaven to drive you insane etc.

I don't think anybody wants to worship a supernatural being who creates you sick and orders you to be well. Those who feel the need to do so enjoy being servile. The relationship between God and His followers is a sadomasochistic one.

So, I say the following with the same level of certainty about the absence of fairies: There is no God.

LucidityMaster, you're welcome! ;-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 17 Sep 2014 01:41

It's unfortunate that it is all summed up so well. Now that it is established that there is no God, now what?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 01:49

Hmmm...

We try to disprove the devil? :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 17 Sep 2014 02:20

It might just be faster to compile a list of what isn't real. Maybe we can have another list of people who are stupid.

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 17 Sep 2014 03:25

Anyone who thinks evolution is 'just a theory' should read Richard Dawkins' book 'The Greatest Show on Earth'. There is so much evidence for evolution, including (but not limited to):

Fossil evidence

Homologous and vestigial structures

DNA testing

Geographical evidence

Natural selection observed in the lab (and the peppered moth)

Artificial selection

Speciation

And much, much more....

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 17 Sep 2014 03:38

And drug resistant bacteria. That happens so fast we can watch it in action.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 17 Sep 2014 05:44

In all seriousness I fail to see the point of this topic. You are just discussing theories that you believe aren't real?

Whay?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

LucidityMaster

Postby LucidityMaster » 17 Sep 2014 05:49

Jack Reacher wrote:In all seriousness I fail to see the point of this topic. You are just discussing theories that you believe aren't real?

Whay?

There is so much pseudoscience on the WOLD forum, that I have decided to make a thread to hopefully get rid of all the absurd ideas.

Can it be done? Well, so far, it seems that even agnostics are stuck in their delusional beliefs.

Return to “Off-Topic”