The Ilusion of Time and Reality as We Think we Know it.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
HAGART

Re: The Ilusion of Time and Reality as We Think we Know it.

Postby HAGART » 17 Sep 2014 08:19

Peter wrote:Is there anything that sees the world as it really is?

NO.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 08:23

I doubt it. Each and every organism will have their own model of the world based on their make-up. In other words, perception is ultimately subjective. Each species has adapted to "see" the world in their unique way as it serves their needs.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Sep 2014 08:45

do any of our senses give accurate unbiased feedback on what is out there, sight, sound, touch, smell - something must be real ?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 17 Sep 2014 19:13

What is perceived is real for the organism. And us humans only perceive a small portion of reality with our senses. So, not only is perceptual interpretation a perversion of the truth, it also constitutes a minor portion of what is out there. Eagles can detect more colours in nature than us. Their vision is also sharper. Dogs detect far more layers of smell than us. A daltonic has his own model of the world. A blind person may compensate with sharper audition. A bat uses echolocation. In the end there is no true model of the world. Perception is idiosyncratic in accordance with organic structure and function.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Sep 2014 04:03

As you are reading this, turn your head at an angle and focus your eyes on it so you can still read it. Light coming from your screen is hitting your closest eye a fraction of a moment sooner than the other eye. Yet it still feels like you are experiencing the same reality with both eyes at the same time. It's only an infinitesimal difference, but a difference none the less. Our brains work it out and trick us into thinking it's all happening in the present.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Sep 2014 07:52

It all needs to make perceptual sense...

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 18 Sep 2014 18:42

Thinking more about it, perhaps my "reading of text" example doesn't quite work. It's only whenever there is a CHANGE, the light will be noticed in one eye before the other. So let's say you're looking at a storm and see a bolt of lightening. The light comes at you at an angle and hits the eye closest. Now stop time. At that very moment, one eye sees it, the other doesn't. That's just another way to explain my visual thought experiment. (I don't want to exclude blind people and we can use the sound of thunder as well in place of lightening.)

But we don't notice, and if we did, we would not be able to function as a life-form, and evolve and procreate, so therefore we must 'lie' to ourselves, and not see reality for what it really is. The rate at which we perceive time is a product of natural evolution. We must use optical illusions as shortcuts, and make general assumptions to define our reality to survive properly. It would take too much time to analyze absolutely everything, and it's safer to jump away from something that we assumed was a tiger and be wrong, than take too long over-thinking it and be right. ;)

We have evolved to perceive time at the current rate that feels natural to us. Who's to say there aren't other life forms that perceive time at a completely different rate than us, and feels natural to them? We may find some right here on Earth in the animal kingdom. :idea: :?:

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 18 Sep 2014 19:30

For my opinion, time is an illusion.

It’s only the environment(dark to sun) and the people(young to old) which change not the time.

What I mean is that; imagine if human didn’t need to sleep, and the average age of a human is 80 years old, so 80 years old is one day, I mean that when you are born you wake up and when you die, you go to
sleep.

Ex: human need sleep:
-Wake up, go to sleep → one day pass, 24 hours went and after its tomorrow.
Next day, wake up, go to sleep→ another 24 hours went and after its tomorrow

Ex: If human didn’t need to sleep:
-Wake up, go to sleep→ 80 years pass, no tomorrow
-People will see no different; when its dark it’s not late, or when the sun wake up its not early, because one day is 80 years, so the sun goes, the dark come and the sun come back and the dark come back.
-For them, it’s only the environment and people which change not the time (Sun to Dark)

It's my point of view OK.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Sep 2014 01:31

You have a point Je-Je. What you are talking about sounds more like 'time of day', which really is quite arbitrary isn't it. Even time zones zig zag at times, and I learned recently that all of China defies physics and is all one time zone!... For some reason you can only guess. :roll: And each year is actually 365.25 days roughly. So how old are you right now at this exact moment? You're clock is lying to you. ;)

There seems to be the mathematical concept of 'time', but then there is the personal perception of 'time'. And even the mathematical concept is really just a measurement for the rate of change in the universe. If absolutely nothing moved, not even an electron, there would be no time.

I was thinking about how a spider views reality. How can it just sit there on a web for days on end without moving? It never get's bored and is probably not thinking about much at all and that is why. So 3 minutes, or 3 days, are irrelevant and it probably doesn't even notice.

Our rate of 'perceived' time is perhaps due to our 'speed of thought'. Or the '# of thoughts per second'.

I was also pondering why things appear to be 'fast' and 'slow'. It's always relative to us. We, and anything perceiving reality, will always feel like they are in the center and that is what comes natural. We don't notice a vine grow because it is so slow, and we can't see a hummingbird's wings flap because they are too fast. But with technology we can time-lapse that vine and truly see how magnificently alive it is, and capture that hummingbird in slow motion and see the intricate movements. These things and many more are happening all around us, every day, without us even knowing about them. We have just a narrow view of reality around us don't we?

Our own personal size is another reason. What is 'big' and 'small'? It too is always relative to us... and you can repeat that same paragraph above changing only a few words. Think about Earth compared to bacteria.

If anyone was interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fouo6GKGBIM
(Hummingbirds in slow motion.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTljaIVseTc
(Time-lapse of a vine growing.)

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 01 Oct 2014 12:01

Time really is an illusion. The perception of time continually fluctuates even withinin an individual, particularly as a result of age. If you are at the age of twenty-five, half of your lifetime is already gone. This is because time speeds up as you age for a variety of reasons, most of which have to do with an increase in unconsciousness that comes with age. As a 5 year old, the world is strange and full of things to think about. But with age, all of those things fall away and our minds cancel out so many things we already know exist and we fully understand--we only become fully and truly conscious (fully and truly alive) when experiencing some strange and novel new thing. Art, for example.
We are meteors, hurtling toward our deaths at an increasingly exponential speed. The only way to slow down time is to exercise consciousness and lucidity--one of the many reasons lucid dreaming and meditation are such vital skills.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Return to “Off-Topic”