The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Peter

Re: The Atheist and Anti-Pseudoscience Thread

Postby Peter » 21 Sep 2014 20:49

Why do I need to believe in something, can I simply not care about either and just get on with life.

Both systems are dependent on belief and proving something isn't is a lot harder that believing it is.

How does science prove there is no god and how do religious leaders prove there is a god

Both systems get to the point of probability supported by belief and stop there
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 21 Sep 2014 21:37

Science does not prove there is no God. Science simply points out that God is a very weak hypothesis and that a Creator is not required to explain things. It's a weak hypothesis because there is no evidence for it. In a court of law, you make a claim, you need to prove. Science is not about belief. It is about evidence and reason.

Atheism isn't about belief either. It should not be construed as that. The original meaning is a disbelief in God or deities. I am a de facto atheist leaning close to number 7 on the Dawkins' scale. I have no reason to believe in fairies because they are nowhere to be found and the probability of their existence is next to nil. I feel the same about God. TheBiblical one definitely does not exist and is clearly manmade.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 21 Sep 2014 23:46

Summerlander wrote:Where are you on this scale, Inedible?

I'm not on this chart anywhere. The first step would be to really figure out what God actually is - the word itself. Everyone seems to have a different God in mind. It's something I lost interest in years ago due to it being futile.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Sep 2014 01:04

Perhaps God is just an alien teenager. He/She is also bound by the laws of physics, but their race is so advanced that it's just child's play to toy with us. That would explain every unexplained mystery: It was all just a prank for someone's amusement. Perhaps we are being televised and this is the silliest reality show of all time, and we are being mocked by advanced races of aliens.

That would explain everything 'paranormal'.
And nobody can prove nor disprove it either.
And it's actually 100% atheist too.

Where is that on the Dawkin's Scale? I suppose it would be a 7. But then again, I just redefined, 'God'.

( When I said, "nobody can prove nor disprove it either", I realize that although it can't be done right this second during the course of this discussion, it would certainly be theoretically possible to prove or disprove, since the alien race would be part of the physical universe. The same can't be said for a deity as depicted in the stories of major, organized religions written by man. We might as well have an argument about Peter Pan and Robin Hood and who sports the tightest-fitting, green spandex! It's a trick question and my answer is always 'none of the above'. The real truth is.... The Jolly Green Giant! ) ;) :lol:
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 24 Sep 2014 16:10

LOL! You nutcase, Hagart! :mrgreen:

Good point, too, Inedible! 8-)

Well, if I must say I have a "god" it would have to be that of Spinoza. There is a less metaphoric word for what Spinoza and Eindtein meant though: the universe.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

superfly9

Postby superfly9 » 04 Oct 2014 00:58

There might be something.. whether it be conscious or non-conscious, I'm an atheist and I used to have a massive problem as a child being brought up catholic. , I used to lay in bed at a young age and have had anxiety attacks of non-existence, since I can remember.. But I didn't know it at the time.. being forced into religion actually hurt me more than just learning the truth.., I had to be pulled out of scripture classes because it was hurting me mentally.. this is at 10 years of age :? :? .. , I remember going home and getting out a calculator and working out down to the minutes of time I might have left with my Mum, at 10.. I was so scared of the realization of non-existence after death.. I battled with this fear up until I was about 19-20, I used to struggle getting to sleep nearly everynight.. any thought of non-existence would bring on night sweats and anxiety to the point I had to have Valium to calm down.. to sleep..

But in reality I had a good childhood.. I was sporty and played in a number of different sporting teams and never had a problem during the days.. , but as soon as the sun went down.. that was a different story.. the bad thoughts and negative thinking just poured out.. , It was weird because I was such a positive person when awake.. to watch myself just fall into pieces at night time was hard.. But no one is there to help you.

I love the fact that I have finally conquered my fear of non-existence, with mainly science and the belief that.. the universe is so ridiculous.. that something whether it be conscious or not.. there has to be something after this.

I doubt whether in my lifetime that it will be proved, but I will never believe in the supernatural or the fact that since you have heard or seen otherwise in a Lucid Dream that you now believe in retard crap..,

I just want to explore the awesomeness of the human brain and fact that a Lucid Dream is possible is so fkn cool.. why waste it by looking into it than more than it actually is.

dreamstudent

Postby dreamstudent » 04 Oct 2014 01:45

I have had similar problems of how life even exists etc. it is definitely strange and all the answers are there just not discovered yet.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Oct 2014 08:37

I use to ponder 'nothingness' sometimes when I went to sleep. I don't mean darkness, I mean NOTHINGNESS! How can you perceive nothingness if it takes a perception to perceive it? Perception is something. My mind would do somersaults and I could never find an answer.

I would have to get up, drink some water, watch TV or whatever, and it would keep me awake, until I get drowsy enough to not care any more. I could spend all day in denial, finding things to do, people to see and it would occupy my mind. Just like we all do.

Then when the lights go out....... I'm alone with my thoughts and I ask, "WHO AM I?", "WHY AM I HERE?", "WHAT IS, 'HERE'?", "WHAT IS, 'NOW'?", "WHY DO I EXIST?", "WHAT DOES THE WORD, 'EXIST' MEAN?", "IS THERE A PURPOSE FOR ANYTHING?"

You get the idea.

I have reached the conclusion that our Ego-Sense of Self is an illusion. But we are multi-faceted. I hope lucid dreaming quiets my inner conflict and accept all this nonsense, so I can go "Salsa dancing with my confusion".

(A quote from, Waking Life.)

Meditation might work, but I still think it's just a form of denial. Besides, lucid dreaming is so damn fun! 8-)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

superfly9

Postby superfly9 » 04 Oct 2014 11:07

yes.. i agree, Denial is the answer and ignorance is bliss.. but for the few stuck with these thoughts.. nothing will ever cure the negative mind.

buildit

Postby buildit » 04 Oct 2014 16:55

superfly9 wrote:yes.. i agree, Denial is the answer and ignorance is bliss.. but for the few stuck with these thoughts.. nothing will ever cure the negative mind.

I hope that in time you find a way to face your fears better and in the safety of your own dream environment. You might even find you ability to overcome the fear is in fact a strength.

As for ignorance is bliss, ask the mouse who just got ate by the owl if being ignorant of the owls approach made things better or more blissful? ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Return to “Off-Topic”