The difference between the mind and reality.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Jack Reacher

The difference between the mind and reality.

Postby Jack Reacher » 22 Sep 2014 13:13

Go
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Inedible

Re: The difference between the mind and reality.

Postby Inedible » 22 Sep 2014 22:54

The mind actively creates your perception of reality and gives the illusion that you are making conscious decisions. Whether anything is actually out there depends on your beliefs. Your mind controls those as well, so it is really tricky to try to get enough distance from your experience to really have a good look at it. This is something your mind actively tries to prevent.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 23 Sep 2014 01:19

I can see how that is a popular topic, the minds version of reality. This topic isn't about comparing our perceived reality and reality. Rather, it is about comparing the mind itself, with reality.

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 23 Sep 2014 01:28

The mind's version of reality is the only one that you interact with. Yes, if you dig down far enough there has to be something ultimate to support it, but you don't interact with it directly.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 24 Sep 2014 01:22

Inedible wrote:The mind's version of reality is the only one that you interact with.

I will go on to say that the mind's version of reality is the only one that the mind interacts with.

This depends on how you define you.

Your body, your arms and fingers for example, interact with REALITY regardless of whether your mind/consciousness likes it or not.

EDIT: And read my first reply to you, im not just talking about the comparison between the minds version of reality, and Reality. The mind can do other things than that. Your input is still valued though.

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 24 Sep 2014 03:43

Reality is something you construct using the tools of mind and brain. If you want to talk about a version of reality not created by your mind, you have to be outside of your mind to experience it. Can you do that? Who would you be if you were not you? That's why I decided early on to work with my mind first. It was all I really had under my control. Anyway, as Jed McKenna wrote, the only thing you can know for sure is "I am."

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Sep 2014 05:13

Inedible wrote:The mind actively creates your perception of reality and gives the illusion that you are making conscious decisions. Whether anything is actually out there depends on your beliefs. Your mind controls those as well, so it is really tricky to try to get enough distance from your experience to really have a good look at it. This is something your mind actively tries to prevent.

Ever dealt with someone experiencing dementia? The mind interrupts data it receives from the sensory organs and then tries to put that information into a fluid dynamic. When something like dementia disrupts that fluid dynamic reality falls apart resulting in fear, apprehension and repetition. Reality therefore is only a majority ruling on the common perception of things. A mad man still thinks he sees reality and just can understand why everyone else can't see it. ;)
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 24 Sep 2014 06:41

Inedible wrote: If you want to talk about a version of reality not created by your mind, you have to be outside of your mind to experience it.

Nope that''s not what I want to talk about, I thought I made that clear.

Inedible

Postby Inedible » 24 Sep 2014 07:55

Reality just is, the way it is. The mind filters out what it doesn't wants to see, distorts what it lets in, and creates what it wants. Still, the mind is the only tool you have for examining reality. If the mind were to stop, reality would appear to disappear completely. Yes, other people would continue to have experiences of their own. For them, their own mind continues to function. I think it was Carl Jung, the famous psychologist, who said that minds are joined at some level. That would make it easier for different people to have experiences of the same thing.

Maybe it would help if you could be more explicit about what it is you don't want to talk about?

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 24 Sep 2014 08:30

The topic title pretty much sums it up.

Return to “Off-Topic”