Can't Sleep After Waking Up

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.

Re: Can't Sleep After Waking Up

Postby WhyNotSmeagol » 21 Apr 2014 12:26

I tried to wake up, go to the bathroom and back to bed with a timer. It doesn't work. You need to be awake for at least 10 minutes.
Just for someone who is trying the same method as I do.

Postby Bogatyr » 24 Sep 2014 15:39

This can be tricky for people like me who wake up quickly. In the beginning of my LD training I quickly discovered that nighttime techniques like MILD and SSILD really woke me up and I could lie awake for hours trying to get back to sleep. Simply recording dreams didn't have this effect on me (at that time).

I since have taught myself to successfully get back to sleep a high percentage of the time, as long as I'm still tired (and sometimes even when I'm not!).

The key things to realize are:

• you must take ownership of the issue and resolve to fix it. You can get advice from others/websites/etc but *you* must figure out what works for you.
  • have a regular sleep schedule
  • get regular exercise daily
  • do NOT get anxious about not sleeping, this guarantees a vicious cycle of insomnia
  • do not "try to sleep," this keeps you awake. Trust your body, if it still needs sleep, it will sleep again if you can relax and quiet your mind and body enough
  • Focus only on relaxing entirely: you mind and body. Pay attention to typical tension holding places: the jaw, and some sneaky ones, like the eyes.
  • You can lightly concentrate on something simple, like counting backwards to 1 from 20, count down one number for each breath. But this sometimes is enough to keep me stimulated and awake, and at those times I drop the counting. What I do find this useful for is "lowering" the level of mental activity, if I'm thinking about waking life stuff, replacing those thoughts with the count. And then when you're mentally quiet enough, drop the count and just keep relaxing and drifting. If you body needs more sleep, you WILL sleep.
This takes a lot of practice, but it is well worth it. The study of lucid dreaming is really all about how you sleep, at its most basic! So effort expended on learning to fall back to sleep will be rewarded many times in your LD lifetime.

Postby Derpybunneh » 22 Oct 2014 21:23

Don't use a timer. Just settle your mind and relax...
DREAMS: 9000+

“I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest
deceit in the history of science.” Søren Løvtrup

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”