Is a virtual dream machine possible?

For those who wish to discuss the purely scientific aspects of sleep and dreams, including new research and future technologies.
HAGART

Re: Is a virtual dream machine possible?

Postby HAGART » 11 Sep 2014 03:03

Ponder this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6EF0AjPzOw
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 11 Sep 2014 16:16

Last edited by nesgirl on 21 May 2015 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

buildit

Postby buildit » 24 Sep 2014 23:43

The problem I see is not inducing a lucid dream thru electronic stimulation or even EM stimulation. The real issue is who will be controlling the dream? How better to elicit information from a subject than to input stimulus to make them think they are talking to a friend or loved one? Wanna reprogram someone to do what you want, program their dreams.
But like most things the unintended consequences may be worse than the cost.
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 25 Sep 2014 09:13

As a conspiracy theorist, and a 'glass-is-half-empty-guy', I see some dark, sinister implications. The N.S.A. would love this, and use it for mind-reading and mind-control for their interests. Or maybe I'm just a realist. They would absolutely LOVE to become thought police by any means necessary and control the planet like the story, "1984". They are already tapping into your phones and Facebook accounts and are probably reading this right now! If dreams were captured on a machine, I assure you, they'd be watching those too, and finding ways to manipulate it for their best interests.

But apart from that, let's think about the actual logistics.

If a virtual dream machine was possible, who's the architect? (Just like 'Inception'.)
If there is one, then it's no longer a lucid dream. It's just a virtual 'game' experience, without control.

I've seen people use an Oculus Rift, but that is only half the story. Sure you can see in 3D, hear sound, but it can never equate to a lucid dream when EMOTIONS are paramount. That is the one thing people who don't lucid dream can't understand just yet. When I share a lucid dream I don't capture my emotions well and just state: This happend and then this....

If seeing is believing, a lucid dream in the inverse: believing is seeing. ;)
Hope that makes sense. It does to me.

But I assure you, emotions are strong. Stronger than what you see, touch, smell, taste or hear. For a dream machine to work it would have to fool us completely with emotions and all. Who can say we aren't in The Matrix right now as we speak! ;)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

buildit

Postby buildit » 25 Sep 2014 16:25

HAGART wrote:As a conspiracy theorist, and a 'glass-is-half-empty-guy', I see some dark, sinister implications. The N.S.A. would love this, and use it for mind-reading and mind-control for their interests. Or maybe I'm just a realist.

You read my mind.... STOP IT. :lol:
Is Lucid Dreaming the brains preparation for the next step of human evolution when we can escape the corporeal bond of our bodies?

selle

Postby selle » 16 Oct 2014 20:47

seams unlikely, but who knows :)
A enthusiast when it comes to Lucid Dreaming, eager to get more experience on the subject! My website is http://learndreamcontrol.com

Return to “Dream Science”