What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 02 Feb 2012 03:46

:)
Last edited by Worldenterer1 on 02 Feb 2012 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Worldenterer1

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 02 Feb 2012 03:47

Jack Reacher wrote:At the end of the day I don't care about what you believe in, its how you use your belief that matters. One thing I cant stand is people trying to tell others how to think/live etc.

Agree

SamSamSam

Postby SamSamSam » 02 Feb 2012 10:31

I'm going for the agnostic option. I had a profound and healing lucid dream where I met a deceased relative and had a really insightful and positive interaction. Whilst I don't want to jump to conclusions either way, the experience was very intriguing to say the least and has certainly left me quite open minded.

I have also had a small number of precognitive dreams, a couple of these too coincidental to be, well, coincidence. Whilst this might signify to some that there is more going on that meets the eye, I also consider that maybe this these precog dreams are perhaps merely a natural phenomena that is as yet unknown or accepted by mainstream science. Whilst this demonstrates to me the magnificence and complexity of the dreaming world, this yet again this leaves me on the fence.

At the end of the day, if I were to whole heartedly believe in the divine/afterlife etc, I don't think I would use religion as a tool to explore this area anyway. I would likely see spiritually as the evolution of the soul (in a strange sense quite Darwinian of me I suppose) and likely see no need to envoke a creator. But I am only human, there are many people with interesting NDE stories, and people who claim to have verified previously unknown information received to them in dreams/obes. I find these accounts to be very intriguing :)

Wolvendeer

Postby Wolvendeer » 03 Feb 2012 05:27

Worldenterer1 wrote:However, I don't believe, therefore I cannot enjoy that comfort. I have to live every day knowing that my expiration creeps closer year by year. And when people are finally deceased and gone, do you know where they really are? They're not. That's where they are. They are NOT. It is a scary thought.

I don't find the thought scary at all. Provided I'm not buried in a vault like most people are, I am completely fine with winking out and letting my parts go back to mother nature and scatter to the universe. I actually find the thought as comforting as most religious people find the thought of an afterlife. Now, it would be somewhat annoying to be buried in such a way that my body is of no use to anything, but that won't be my concern once the time comes. In my opinion, whatever you believe, you should be comfortable with your end.

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Feb 2012 05:29

I answered the question in a simple way - do I think there is a divine being looking over us, and I say no. As for other realities, the realm of LD wherever it is and whatever is it to me is another reality. I just struggle with putting religion into it at all
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 Feb 2012 21:18

Wolvendeer wrote:I don't find the thought scary at all. Provided I'm not buried in a vault like most people are, I am completely fine with winking out and letting my parts go back to mother nature and scatter to the universe. I actually find the thought as comforting as most religious people find the thought of an afterlife. Now, it would be somewhat annoying to be buried in such a way that my body is of no use to anything, but that won't be my concern once the time comes. In my opinion, whatever you believe, you should be comfortable with your end.

BINGO!^^^

I completely agree with this. And I'm comfortable with ceasing to be too. The idea of being absent from life, from everything is comforting. No more experience, no more suffering, no more concerns, no more "I". Unconsciousness will be something different to experience...ahem...or not to experience. :mrgreen:

So it was before I was born, so it shall be. If the universe wishes to bring me back in a different form, so be it. I'm not fussed. But if I'm brought back, don't expect me to be the same. It won't be this "I" I'm using now. I could be brought up to have different beliefs, different views, different opinions, because, after all, I'd start with the empty mind of a newborn baby. I could be a psycho in a next life. Be chemically imbalanced even! I could even come back as a bloody worm!

Perhaps consciousness is the result of the coming together of certain elements. Perhaps it is like gravity that only tends to get stronger in space the denser and weightier an object gets. Just a force that becomes operational from unconsciousness when the right elements, energies and their different frequencies come together. It could even be something quantum! Perhaps we will never know what death is really like if it means that we never remember a previous life. But this is just theory. Perhaps we are never brought back. If this is so, then for us, everything ceases to exist...even ourselves...absent...wahey!!! 8-)

Why do we exist? I have a suspicion...the universe needs us (conscious beings) to observe it and confirm its existence. If there is no consciousness the universe cannot be said to exist. Our purpose? To name everything we encounter in this universe through language (another thing that we developed). We define, we give meaning, that's our job...we work for the universe...we are an expression of this universe...we are the universe. Without the universe there is no you. We are the universe trying to understand itself. We are the universe wondering why the hell it is.

Deeply philosophical...I know...anyway, if there is anything that a certain historical Buddha has taught us is that he was only a man who realised that we will find peace in acceptance.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 04 Feb 2012 22:08

:arrow:
Last edited by Worldenterer1 on 04 Feb 2012 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 04 Feb 2012 22:08

Wolvendeer wrote:I don't find the thought scary at all. Provided I'm not buried in a vault like most people are, I am completely fine with winking out and letting my parts go back to mother nature and scatter to the universe. I actually find the thought as comforting as most religious people find the thought of an afterlife.

Makes sense... :)

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Feb 2012 22:49

flip101 wrote:I only follow my church to a curtain point in my life...

Very nice. I'm guessing your misspelling wasn't intentional, but it's very interesting. I followed a traditional religious belief system until I had what I would call a "curtain point" in my life. That's the point where the curtain went up for me and I saw what I now believe to be the truth.

I think religions tend to overcomplicate what is a fairly simple concept. I believe we are all part of what we might call God, the collective consciousness of the universe. We are all participating in the creation of our world by manifesting the reality we are experiencing. We came here by choice to experience and learn from this reality. The place from where we came doesn't have the challenges necessary for our growth, so we made this place as a school and agreed to the rules that govern this planet.

Life after death is nothing more than a semi-permanent OBE and we will find ourselves in a place that fits our particular beliefs with others that have the same beliefs. We will work together with other conscious beings to create new realities, just like we practice doing every night in our dreams.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 15 Feb 2012 07:01

Snaggle wrote:There are no options for polytheists, pantheists (includes both the major religions of Buddhism and Hinduism) on that poll, nor options for Deists like myself. Does God really wants human toadies as the first option implies or children who love him and righteousness or is he a Santa Claus ever ready to reward you if you just worship him. The first insults God the second option man.

Please provide specific wording for other desired options. I'll gladly add them.

As for me, I'm an atheist, so no doubt my wording of the poll projects my own interpretations of other religions, rather that people's actual personal views. I did find it rather difficult to narrow it down, and I certainly don't claim any real authoritative knowledge of the many faiths.

I prefer to believe, it's a whole lot simpler than we might think. But then that's not human nature is it. ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”